So I could turn out to be full of it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I didn’t read the entire thread, so this may have already been mentioned, but wouldn’t the triple mesh pro tank generally have better flavour then the dual Clapton’s in flavour at 50-80 watts? Maybe even the falcon double mesh?
Heh. I don’t blame you at all. I considered this thread unreadable when it passed page 6.
The answer i think is “maybe”. Triple mesh will throw a lot of vaporized juice and be relatively cool. A dual Clapton will be warmer at a lower wattage because it heats more air and less juice. Flavor volume follows juice volume, but there is a possibility that hot air may effect flavor character. That bit is still a mystery to me.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
At the point that it's not doing work, i.e. contributing directly to vaporization. An example is lead length loss; or extranous mass…

(My well thought out response here encompassing a succinct paragraph was wiped with no cache preserved. It hurts my head to try and understand how this so consistently happens at the most inconvenient time.)

I may be wordy but I utterly hate to repeat myself at the expense of lost sleep at this point. Even sadly if it's for all you fine folks.

Good luck. :)

I tried to do a parallel coil the other day... I failed.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Okay I guess what I should ask is, hey bombinator, have you tried the mesh pro tank with triple mesh coils? If so, how did you find the flavour in comparison to your high wattage dual coil experience?
Nope. I went RBA soon after I started to have trouble getting... was it ce3 clearos? I forget. They were 510 diameter clear plastic top coil silica wicks with a little rubber cap at the top for refills with a tendency to bounce if you dropped it.... anyway, years before the nautilus coils even came out. I’ve vaped a few cartridge coils systems, notably the zenith. The high coil price keeps me away from cartridge coils generally. I haven’t vaped any of the newer DL cartridge coil systems. I’ve read about a lot of them though.

Reactions: stols001

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
Flavor / taste is such a subjective individual preference there simply is no ' this beats that ' or ' good, better, best '.
Then there is the how much time & effort a person is willing to invest in experimenting with the hundreds of variables to find their personal 'best'.

For some, an old rebuilt prostank 1.2Ω at 8w is their nirvana, or a nautilus bvc, maybe a simple 2 strands twisted, others find a
superultragamechangermacroquadtwistedbraidedalienclaptonfudgemastermegameshelabro coils is theirs.

My thoughts exactly.

I can't vape my favorite juices in my DL setup, as I mentioned before-- the flavor seems to twist. It's the main reason I keep a mtl setup on standby. My favorite DL juices do not translate well in the mtl setup either... This is probably an area that needs to be considered more when assisting new vapers in the proper setup and why they may not be satisfied.

I gotta finish this coffee, my thoughts seem so incomplete this morning.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Mesh Pro Tank with the triple mesh coil has great flavor,but can't beat the flavor a dual Clapton build in a rda gives.
This is what I love about this site. There are many many things I have no experience with but chances are there is someone who has

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Heh. I don’t blame you at all. I considered this thread unreadable when it passed page 6.
The answer i think is “maybe”. Triple mesh will throw a lot of vaporized juice and be relatively cool. A dual Clapton will be warmer at a lower wattage because it heats more air and less juice. Flavor volume follows juice volume, but there is a possibility that hot air may effect flavor character. That bit is still a mystery to me.

That is incorrect and shouldn’t use the same brush to paint all types of Clapton or even mesh for that matter. No idea what Fused Clapton you used for your initial test – if it’s specifications where mentioned in this thread I must have missed it. But will say you can have a vastly difference in performance between say 2x 26awg wrapped in 32awg vs 4x 30awg wrapped in a 40awg. Both are Fused Clapton coils.

As for mesh, it’s biggest challenged is resistance. If you were to design a triple parallel mesh coil you need to ensure its resistance falls within a comfortable operating range. To do so, many change the density of the mesh to bring its resistance up. Changing the density changes the effective surface area (lowers it for this example). For these multi mesh coil heads, I believe it’s the change in air flow that has more of an impact and not due to how many mesh coils are utilized. A triple mesh has 3 smaller holes in which air is drawn through in comparison to 1 much larger hole for a single mesh config.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
I’ve vaped a few cartridge coils systems, notably the zenith. The high coil price keeps me away from cartridge coils generally. I haven’t vaped any of the newer DL cartridge coil systems. I’ve read about a lot of them though.

My wife surprised me two years ago at Christmas time with the Smok Prince tank. Trust me, you are not missing anything.

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
Mesh Pro Tank with the triple mesh coil has great flavor,but can't beat the flavor a dual Clapton build in a rda gives.

Thanks for letting us know your experience! I’ve only tried a single Clapton rda and found the flavour from the mesh pro 5x better. Was curious about the dual coils! Do dual coil rta’s exist? If so how do you compare your favourite dual coil rta to the mesh pro?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Okay I guess what I should ask is, hey bombinator, have you tried the mesh pro tank with triple mesh coils? If so, how did you find the flavour in comparison to your high wattage dual coil experience?

I've used the triple mesh coils. Pretty flavorful but tons of cloud which can be a drawback of you don't want to cloud the room up. I prefer the dual to the triple, feels more balanced to me. Compared to say a dual fused Clapton in an RTA I like depending on juice it can be a toss up. Overall it's amazingly superior to drop in coils that preceded the availability of mesh coils but are still hobbled by expense and can still be bested by RTAs and RDAs. I like them but not as my daily vape.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
That is incorrect and shouldn’t use the same brush to paint all types of Clapton or even mesh for that matter. No idea what Fused Clapton you used for your initial test – if it’s specifications where mentioned in this thread I must have missed it. But will say you can have a vastly difference in performance between say 2x 26awg wrapped in 32awg vs 4x 30awg wrapped in a 40awg. Both are Fused Clapton coils.

As for mesh, it’s biggest challenged is resistance. If you were to design a triple parallel mesh coil you need to ensure its resistance falls within a comfortable operating range. To do so, many change the density of the mesh to bring its resistance up. Changing the density changes the effective surface area (lowers it for this example). For these multi mesh coil heads, I believe it’s the change in air flow that has more of an impact and not due to how many mesh coils are utilized. A triple mesh has 3 smaller holes in which air is drawn through in comparison to 1 much larger hole for a single mesh config.
It’s not there because I don’t know exactly. I bought it I didn’t wrap it. What I do know: Ni80, very wide and flat, very small wrap wire. This to me means a fairly high number of fused heat wires, probably flat wire, and either 36 or 40ga wrap.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
My wife surprised me two years ago at Christmas time with the Smok Prince tank. Trust me, you are not missing anything.
This is the general impression I am getting. A really good cartridge coil can be competitive with a RBA but does not surpass it and can be much weaker. The advantage of coil cartridges is simplicity and convienience, not quality.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
image.jpg
Just for those still following along for whatever reason my ghetto radiator coil started to taste of wear finally. That took double the average time for me. Perhaps longer. It’s good and gunked though. Wicking is reputed to be evil. Gonna see how bad it is.

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
This is the general impression I am getting. A really good cartridge coil can be competitive with a RBA but does not surpass it and can be much weaker. The advantage of coil cartridges is simplicity and convienience, not quality.

I love the mesh pro and the coil lasts two to three weeks for me, I think it’s great quality :D I’ve read smok tanks aren’t the best for longevity or flavour. I find th falcon dual mesh almost as flavourful as the mesh pro, maybe a 5% difference?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
image.jpg
Cleaning was actually super easy. I had to snip off one tail so I didn’t have to pull it through all juicy, but other than that no worries. Also because the coil is flexible I was able to break off the bits of carbon in chunks and wash them off which made dry burning a 2 heat affair. The whole SS resistance increase on heating was an issue though so I’m going to go double coil this time and toss this one

Reactions: tara81

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
I've used the triple mesh coils. Pretty flavorful but tons of cloud which can be a drawback of you don't want to cloud the room up. I prefer the dual to the triple, feels more balanced to me. Compared to say a dual fused Clapton in an RTA I like depending on juice it can be a toss up. Overall it's amazingly superior to drop in coils that preceded the availability of mesh coils but are still hobbled by expense and can still be bested by RTAs and RDAs. I like them but not as my daily vape.
Which rta is better for flavour and how much better in comparison by percentage if you had to guess? Also what coil types? Thanks :D I’m a flavour junkie and so far love the mesh pro. I tried single coil rta and rdas and the flavour sucked in comparison, but I’m a coil wrapping newbie! I also tried Clapton coils bought from store.

Reactions: muth

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
View attachment 801161 Cleaning was actually super easy. I had to snip off one tail so I didn’t have to pull it through all juicy, but other than that no worries. Also because the coil is flexible I was able to break off the bits of carbon in chunks and wash them off which made dry burning a 2 heat affair. The whole SS resistance increase on heating was an issue though so I’m going to go double coil this time and toss this one

Is that the Titan deck?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
If you're a real flavor junkie just move over to squonking using a little single coil flavor banger rda. You can even use a simple round coil in them and get amazing flavor.

My usual builds are fused Claptons. Those are on regulated mods to account for think like orehesr/ramp up time and coil mass. Unregulated/mech squonks at most a plain Clapton.

You should take a peek at the Gear. It's only a 2 ml rta, but it's small with a small chamber that places the coil closer to your mouth and can get very close to what a small rda can do for flavor.

Other winners include, for me, tanks like the single coil Intake (pretty restricted DL) or the OBS Engine 2, a bit of a pain to figure out how to build but once you do does great as like the Intake it's top air but funneled and directed up from beneath the coil for improved flavor. Neither are cloud chasing attys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread