So how much did it *really* cost you to get going with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
My start-up only cost 100 bucks (60 for the eGo kit from Janty and a few bottles of juice and an extra atty). No, wait, also an extra carton of cigs in case it didn't work. Well, it worked and the cigs were a total waste of funds. (except maybe for my mind).

I enjoyed the original set up for over 6 months. I discovered that I could layer my flavors inside the cartridge by alternating drops and could achieve the perfect "after meal" cigarette each and every vape.
But not all cartridge stuffing is made equal. Some of the carts were a p.i.a. and just worthless, while others were great.

So I began my search for a better delivery system at the same time that more and more flavors were hitting the market.

Spending money on the XL mega cartos, and the XL mega atty's wasn't a waste. I have a nice stockpile for emergencies even after not shopping for 5 months. I don't hate them, they weren't a waste. But I did discover...

Bottom Feeders.

Oh my.

Not a waste there either.

I use every day my eGo (in a lanyard with prefilled LX cartos), a BF (REO GRAND FINALLY!!!) and I alternate between my SB and Copper Q3.... I like a variety of flavors, strengths and feel.

I hope to purchase a GLV-3 mini or super mini next year. I like the top button and think it will be handy for riding the ATV.

How much money? The same exact money if not less, than I would have spent on cigs. But now I have a stockpile of goodies and a list of more to buy. (liquinator is high on my list to try next). Some months I spent 2/3's less than I would have on cigs. I have choices now, whereas before there was no choice. I've broken free from the get me a cigarette NOW mentality because now I have my vape. That is priceless.

JustaGuy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Beyond The Sea
Hmmm I paid $108 for a mall kit and quickly discovered that each cartridge was not equal to one pack of cigarettes...It's been a great journey and well worth it!

One cart = 1 pack :glare: Argh (monster howl)! I'd like to take those lying scum who advertise this, stretch them out like trampolines and launch myself to the moon from them. On second thought, maybe they ought to be slingshot into lunar orbit? :evil:

But yes, journey well worth taking.

OttoBahn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2011
Eugene, Oregon
1+PAD smoker. Vaping about 1.5mos now.

Spent $70 on my first kit including 30ml juice (Joye510T). Got off smoking right away. Didn't like battery life of the little ciggy-looking things - had two, but one was always being charged (always). Found a 'mod' (e-power 18650) much better battery life - still have a battery on the charger but this thing goes all day.

$125 (or so) to really 'get started' since I could simply go on vaping in peace right now (with fairly minimal expenses like juice/cartomizers - consumables).

BUT...

Decided to give 5v vaping a try; it seems to be a sweet spot for many, so I've got (awaiting on the mailman even as we speak)a 5v box mod $40+ coming from a supplier here (Foxyboxmods) and I hope that will end the chain of devices.

The above will give me 3 devices for everyday and backup use. It's too easy to revert if you rely on a single device.

Consumables -
Juice, cartomizers (am not buying any more 510t's) - meh.. not too much. 90ml so far (so maybe $45). Cartomizers, zero since I got some with my e-Power, still going strong with several unused). I will likely get a few more packs to have on hand though.

I could envision myself doing some DIY juices one day - for now, the R&D will be left up to the vendors/suppliers out there.

Cheaper than smoking -
For sure - even with the device purchases - once the dust settles, should be saving money (not to mention my health). FWIW - in Texas, smokes are $4-$5 each, just moved back here from NY where they're $10+/per.

Conclusion so far -
Am still a newbie but I really wish I had gone straight to a big-battery mod - have (now) spent enough to have gotten one. Am doing everything I can to NOT turn this into a hobby.

I want to quit smoking (forever) and get healthy. I want to push a button and vape - don't care if my devices look like a cigarette, don't really want to re-learn Ohm's Law nor have a shelf full of devices. That's easier said than done because - frankly, it is fun vaping and there are so many interesting choices.

That being said - if I had a Provari.. I'd be a happy guy..:p

XDoctor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2009
Casper, WY
Well, I started with an old 901 and 510 kit, at the time this was all brand new and I gave over $100 for each. Then an ego a few years later for about $75. Now I've got a collection of mods worth about $3k and about another thousand in parts and juice.

Based on what I was spending on cigarettes, I've still saved money. So it cost me nothing that I wouldn't have spent anyway.

Paul McCoy

Aug 11, 2010
Lancaster, Ca.
Erich- I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. Between the "learning curve", paranoia of our illustrious lawmakers making the stuff illegal and just the joy of trying new stuff, I've spent A LOT. I don't even browse anymore unless I'm in need of something, because I know if I do, I'll end up buying. New stuff is just so much fun to try out.

I'm addicted (to something),
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread