So confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Necro

Sep 9, 2015
Ok guys I been reading about sub ohms and high amps. ... people say it drains batter fast ect I dont understand because I'm using istick 50 watt 4400mah and a dual kangertech. Im running dual .8ohm which brings it to .4ohm now heres the thing im using this at 2.9 and 3volts. Getting good vape and flavor. My battery lasts 4 days. People say its dangerous because you are pulling high amps. So how am I using such low volts and 20 watts dangerous?

Last edited:

Vyrgg

Sep 4, 2015
Hi there, It gets very technical very fast with sub ohm. You say you're using an istick.
The Istick is variable, so you can set up how much battery drain you will be using.
If you would run a mech mod using 18650s like a lot of people on the forums it becomes a lot more complicated.
A fresh battery would put out about 4.2 on a good day, you would possibly get about a 0.8 volt drop within your system so your effective voltage would be 6.4
Using a 1 ohm against 0.4 ohm and 0.1 ohm
V=IR
for 1 ohm> 6.4=I x 1 = 40.96 watts 6.4 amps
for 0.4 ohm> 6.4 = I x 0.4 = 102.4 watts 16 amps
for 0.1 ohm> 6.4 = I x 0.1 = 409.6 watts 64 amps

with mech mods 2200Mah is pretty standard so if you're running 2.2Ah at 64 amps (with a 0.1 ohm build) the battery depletes power FAST

The fact that you have a variable box mod saves you from the problems of mech mods and the majority of this issue

Hope this helped

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
You are running pretty low voltage.

3v ÷ 0.4 ohm = 7.5A.

I think we determined the istick 50W have a 10A limit for what they will power. They also have freakishly long battery life, lol! I love them for the battery life. Since the mod won't allow you to pull more than 10A anyway despite your settings, its a safe bet it will get good battery life no matter what. At most its only pulling 5A per battery.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
Ok guys I been reading about sub ohms and high amps. ... people say it drains batter fast ect I dont understand because I'm using istick 50 watt 4400mah and a dual kangertech. Im running dual .8ohm which brings it to .4ohm now heres the thing im using this at 2.9 and 3volts. Getting good vape and flavor. My battery lasts 4 days. People say its dangerous because you are pulling high amps. So how am I using such low volts and 20 watts dangerous?

Those people have no idea what they're talking about. Compared to some lower-ohm mech mod/parallel box users you're pulling a laughable amount of amps.

You can use Steam-Engine to help you calculate the exact amperage/voltage/wattage/resistance given the other values. Play with it, it'll really further your understanding of Ohm's law. Also tell whoever says 3V/.4 ohms is a "high amp" drain to sod off.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
You're using a 50w regulated mod at 20w, about as safe as you can get.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

you are using a regulated mod.
20 watts isn't very high nowadays.

Reactions: David Wolf

realsis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
California
a regulated mod will NOT allow you to pull more amps than the battery can tolerate anyway. it would cut off before that would happen. it is something to be concerned with when using a MECHANICAL mod at a low sub ohm because the mechanical mod does NOT have protection . in that case you need to know your batteries limits and do the math to ensure your build won't exceed those limits.

Steve Necro

Sep 9, 2015
yes it reads .4 I didnt know so many build and screw around making there own stuff. I hope people that do this are extremely knowledgeable and do a lot of homework before experimenting. Heres my advice on that you guys please be responsible. Do not go into this blind be a responsible scientist. Also thank all of you explaining this to me due to Im sure this is asked every other day and you vets have to repeat over and over. So thank you guys.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    yes it reads .4 I didnt know so many build and screw around making there own stuff. I hope people that do this are extremely knowledgeable and do a lot of homework before experimenting. Heres my advice on that you guys please be responsible. Do not go into this blind be a responsible scientist. Also thank all of you explaining this to me due to Im sure this is asked every other day and you vets have to repeat over and over. So thank you guys.

Saving a smoker and keeping them them safe is worth the repetition.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread