Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
I suppose it's funny to people outside of our community, but I feel insulted. I am so tired of being marginalized and being part of a minority that it's acceptable, even encouraged, to disrespect, dismiss and condescend to.

Sure, it's a cute skit, but isn't it interesting that all of the smokers were WASPs? How politically correct and culturally sensitive of them. Yet it perfectly fine to make fun of people trying to quit smoking.

[video removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Uhhh, yeah.... I really don't care for that at all. Recently at a bar a guy asked me if he could have a hit on my rig, implying that it had drugs in it. I don't like the idea of that idea spreading at all. The guy was kidding and ribbing me but just the same, there are enough ignorant and compulsively judgmental people out there already. We really don't need them getting any more screwed up ideas about vaping than they already have.

ItTechy

Information Tragedy dOOd
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2009
The State of Confusion
I suppose it's funny to people outside of our community, but I feel insulted. I am so tired of being marginalized and being part of a minority that it's acceptable, even encouraged, to disrespect, dismiss and condescend to.

Sure, it's a cute skit, but isn't it interesting that all of the smokers were WASPs? How politically correct and culturally sensitive of them. Yet it perfectly fine to make fun of people trying to quit smoking.

[video link removed]

No it's not funny!

I agree, SNL just sent a very bad message out!

I don't want to go Foamy, but ...:censored: ... were they thinking....

Well you can't get a super large fountain drink in NYC anymore, and Marlboro' are over $11.00 a pack!

I wonder how much of that tax goes into the city government?

They're ...... in New York City, at least the entertainers and politicians!

My two :2c: worth!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Excuse me, but I found that skit to be funny. I don't take things like this so seriously. It's called sarcasm folks. SNL has a reputation of pushing the edge on comedy, and they will tackle sensitive subjects and put a funny twist on on them. SNL has never been politically correct nor culturally sensitive. In fact, they made their reputation on not being so. If you can't laugh at yourself, then you're being a little too stuffy and self righteous. That's my take anyway, you are free to disagree.

If you thought this was distasteful, look up the Nic-o-d i c k video on nicotine replacement therapy.

Last edited:

ItTechy

Information Tragedy dOOd
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2009
The State of Confusion
Excuse me, but I found that skit to be funny. I don't take things like this so seriously. It's called sarcasm folks. SNL has a reputation of pushing the edge on comedy, and they will tackle sensitive subjects and put a funny twist on on them. If you can't laugh at yourself, they you're too are being too stuffy and self righteous.

If you thought this was distasteful, look up the Nic-o-dic video.

LOL

Now that's FUNNY

But common.....Nic-o-dic
It's making fun of something completely different.....

That was funny............

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth
I thought the Blu brownie parody on Funny or Die was better. I thought the premise was funny, but this was really poorly produced. I always look forward to the fake-commercials that typically come after the opening monologue, and this was a crappy indicator of things to come this SNL season for sure. Who knows, maybe it was put together and filmed hastily on friday/saturday morning last minute?

Offended? Come on now, your being way too sensitive. Everybody wants to feel like they're being persecuted/discriminated against these days. Cry me a river eh?

-B

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Excuse me, but I found that skit to be funny. I don't take things like this so seriously. It's called sarcasm folks. SNL has a reputation of pushing the edge on comedy, and they will tackle sensitive subjects and put a funny twist on on them. SNL has never been politically correct nor culturally sensitive. In fact, they made their reputation on not being so. If you can't laugh at yourself, then you're being a little too stuffy and self righteous. That's my take anyway, you are free to disagree.

If you thought this was distasteful, look up the Nic-o-d i c k video on nicotine replacement therapy.

I said it was cute - and we all know how stuffy, serious and humorless I am, but we aren't the audience I'm concerned about. I don't like the message being sent that e-cigs are a gimmick, something smokers have come up with so they don't have to quite smoking.

Nic-o-dk cracked me up; I didn't find it distasteful, mostly because it was a well written sketch. The entire punch line of the segment tonight was equating e-cigs and illicit drug use. In addition to parodying e-cigs, why didn't they have people getting a fix from a portable oxygen tank? Mainlining during dialysis? and so on. Oh wait, that would be making fun a people dealing with health issues.

And in my opinionated opinion, SNL stopped putting a funny twist on just about anything several years ago. One good sketch per show, if that, is pretty lame.

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
The Ocelot said:
I am so tired of being marginalized and being part of a minority that it's acceptable, even encouraged, to disrespect, dismiss and condescend to.

Comedy IS making fun of something, yet in this land of "free speech" they are no longer allowed to make fun of racial minorities, the mentally handicapped, or the LGBT community. So we are what's left.

ItTechy

Information Tragedy dOOd
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2009
The State of Confusion
I said it was cute - and we all know how stuffy, serious and humorless I am, but we aren't the audience I'm concerned about. I don't like the message being sent that e-cigs are a gimmick, something smokers have come up with so they don't have to quite smoking.

Nic-o-dk cracked me up; I didn't find it distasteful, mostly because it was a well written sketch. The entire punch line of the segment tonight was equating e-cigs and illicit drug use. In addition to parodying e-cigs, why didn't they have people getting a fix from a portable oxygen tank? Mainlining during dialysis? and so on.

SNL stopped putting a funny twist on just about anything several years ago. One funny sketch per show, if that, is pretty lame.

Well said!:vapor:

ItTechy

Information Tragedy dOOd
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2009
The State of Confusion
Comedy IS making fun of something, yet in this land of "free speech" they are no longer allowed to make fun of racial minorities, the mentally handicapped, or the LGBT community. So we are what's left.

ah yes...

BUT

We haven't made it yet!

when we are accepted and acknowledged...then poke fun....

Intervap

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2013
Port Huron, Mi
Time for an unpopular opinion.
I thought it was hilarious, I don't even watch SNL. They were spoofing e-cigarettes, and we all know spoofs are exaggerated and stretched to make them funny. Any intelligent person (specifically non-vaper) would not take this seriously. Not one bit. Its SNL for goodness sake!
Lets look at it like this. [moderated] addiction is a serious issue too, and they are clearly mocking them. More so than they are e-cigarettes, I would say.
I found it great, and the tough with Jesse at the end just made it better. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread