SmokTech SID?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Awkwardly Awesome

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2012
Minnesota
I have been using a SID for the last few days. I didn't purchase it, my boss gave it to me to demo to see if we want to stock it in our store. So far I like it. It is extremely light weight in comparison to a Vamo and most other SS devices. It feels pretty cheap but what do you expect for a Sub-$50 mod? I have been running into some odd issues with my carto tanks. Occasionally it will start firing but it will fire at like 3V and create no vapor, then after about 2 seconds it will step up to the set voltage and work fine. It doesn't do this every time but it has done this about 10 times in the last 3-4 days. But using clearomizers on it, I don't experience this. FWIW I am using AW 18650's, with Smoktech 1.5ohm dual coil cartomizers at 4.2V or I am using an Iclear16 at about 3.9V.

Overall I like it. If I was in the market to move into my first mod, it would be a top contender. My only real concern with this is it's durability. It feels like it is only going to be as strong as an eGo with the way it is built. If you are good at taking care of your devices, then I would say this is a great next step up without breaking the bank.

WhitneyG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2012
Southern Indiana
I got the smoktech SID to replace my vamo. I like the vamo but imo it's pretty heavy. There weren't very many reviews on the SID but it had all the features I wanted and the price was really good so I figured I would give it a try. I am soooooo glad that I got the SID. I have had no problems with it in the 2 weeks I've had it. It's definitely the best mod I've bought. It seems like it's made well, I like the 3 click operating system, it's lightweight (probably half the weight of the vamo), and you can lock in the voltage/wattage (you can't with the vamo). Don't get me wrong, the vamo is a good mod but imo it doesn't compare to the SID.

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
...Along with a matching Evod BCC tank in a matching color and texture!!...

The EVOD fits just perfectly on the SiD. It made my day when I realized Madvapes description was mistaken about not having the outside eGo threads.

Sadly, that Panasonic is too fat for the SID. I know because I ordered two of them with mine. :facepalm:

I'm using the Panasonic CGR18650CH right now in mine and it fits perfectly. There is even a little wiggle/venting room. All of the 18650s I have fit fine, though, so I'm starting to think there are variances in the tubes of these.

My SID shocks me literally when i use the kanger pro tank with it, i am not sure where the short is happening put it is, plus the fact that the menu resets every time i take out the battery is annoying. Buy an itaste mvp..

as I use that same setup (SID and protank) I can say you have to have a short somewhere. contact the vendor. The menu shouldn't fully reset every time. The display option is the only thing that should reset. My zmax tele does the same thing.

I know this thread is old but to add a few notes - have had the sid for a while - been a knock around every day mod. No issues so far. It just works. Threads weren't absolutely perfect but a little lube they felt better, and the top ring was mis threaded slightly. I run mine in vw mode - no issues with it firing my aga-t2, a protank, or anything I've put on it so far.

DuaneNeveu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Could I just buy the control head to the evic and it work on the sid threads so I save money? anyone know? I just Won the SID on VapeOn.TV last night

-Mr.K
You can put the eVic control head onto a SID body and have it power on, there is, however, a gap between the SID body and the eVic control ring.

CoRporis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2013
Indy
It can, in the same way the ZMax does for example. The display can be set to show resistance when you fire the device.

Thanks, still a newbie, trying to figure out wether to buy this or the Vamo. Reading you earlier posts, you mentioned having both, do you still prefer the SiD over your Vamo?

DuaneNeveu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Thanks, still a newbie, trying to figure out wether to buy this or the Vamo. Reading you earlier posts, you mentioned having both, do you still prefer the SiD over your Vamo?

I bought the Vamo first, and I'm quite glad that I did. The Vamo is a great device for the fledgling vaper because it has the ability to function as a resistance meter should you decide to try your hand at building coils, though you could just buy a resistance meter of some kind for that too. Because I did get into rebuilding coils and didn't have a devoted meter, it was great for checking resistance without having to actually fire whatever device I was checking. You need only press and hold the small right button to see the resistance of your device within 0.2 Ω (when you do actually fire it, it gets more accurate). With the SID, you can't check resistance without actually firing the device.

If you're sure that you won't be doing any rebuilding and just want a good device that can detect the ohms of what you bought to put on it, then you could go with the SID. I do prefer using the SID daily and everywhere for vaping, just because it fires every time and I love the look and feel of it. My Vamo just isn't quite as comfortable in the hand, nor as stylish as the SID (at least in my opinion), or as easy to clean the drip well. The buttons in my Vamo weren't set quite as nicely as they should have been, and it sometimes misfires though I'm sure I could fix it if I took the time, and I'm sure that many Vamos don't have this issue.

That's probably not very much help at all, but the way each one is able to detect resistance is probably the biggest difference between them.

CoRporis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2013
Indy
I bought the Vamo first, and I'm quite glad that I did. The Vamo is a great device for the fledgling vaper because it has the ability to function as a resistance meter should you decide to try your hand at building coils, though you could just buy a resistance meter of some kind for that too. Because I did get into rebuilding coils and didn't have a devoted meter, it was great for checking resistance without having to actually fire whatever device I was checking. You need only press and hold the small right button to see the resistance of your device within 0.2 Ω (when you do actually fire it, it gets more accurate). With the SID, you can't check resistance without actually firing the device.

If you're sure that you won't be doing any rebuilding and just want a good device that can detect the ohms of what you bought to put on it, then you could go with the SID. I do prefer using the SID daily and everywhere for vaping, just because it fires every time and I love the look and feel of it. My Vamo just isn't quite as comfortable in the hand, nor as stylish as the SID (at least in my opinion), or as easy to clean the drip well. The buttons in my Vamo weren't set quite as nicely as they should have been, and it sometimes misfires though I'm sure I could fix it if I took the time, and I'm sure that many Vamos don't have this issue.

That's probably not very much help at all, but the way each one is able to detect resistance is probably the biggest difference between them.

Yea, probably won't be rebuilding anytime soon. I'm busy with 2 very young kids, and lazy:facepalm: Sounds like the SiD will work for what I'm looking for! After your comparison to the Vmax I checked out pbusardo's review, the menu system seems pretty easy to learn.

Last edited:

dymrip

Nov 2, 2012
Wakeman, Ohio
I just want to say thank you for all the wonderful information and pictures of the S.I.D. I have been happily using Smokeless Image Spinners for quite some time now, but believe it is time for me to graduate to the next step.

What got this initial thought rolling was my new TFA flavors. I bought the fruit salad sampler pack and fell in love with the Ripe Banana flavor immediately. Well, that turned to a love/hate thing right away after that flavor killed 2 of my T3 clearomizers. This got me to looking at the Kanger ProTanks made with Pyrex, but these are 510 threaded. I have 510 to 808 adapters, but honestly hate using them for no apparent reason.

ECBlend used to offer Vision Spinners, and because they are 510 threaded, I started to grab a couple of those. Well low and behold, they are no longer available, but I saw this new S.I.D. on there for what seemed like a ridiculously low price for this type of device. I was afraid to try it because I expected the device to be junk based on the price, but your review has convinced me to give it a go.

Just wanted to share my gratitude, as it has been quite difficult to find any reviews on this thing yet...That is, until I found this thread!

:toast:

josho

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2012
CA
Thanks Duane for your input! This was my first mod, so it's good to have someone with experience chime in! Love the red by the way, was the color I originally wanted. Just a heads up, the tube threads are the same as the eVic (tested by me at my local B&M with a Joyetech eVic replacement tube) so you can use the eVic 18350 tube if you want.

Has anyone done this yet? I'd be down for one of these no problem if I could swap an 18350 tube on it for stealth mode..

CGustav

Verified Member
Jun 5, 2013
California
Has anyone done this yet? I'd be down for one of these no problem if I could swap an 18350 tube on it for stealth mode..

I am sure this has been posted in some other thread, but, yes, it does work.. So the following tubes are all interchangable:

- SID
- eVic
- Anyvape CVI

I have one tube for each and I mix and match (all on SID only, I don't have the other two devices, just the tubes)

On a side note, eVic head cap does not fit the SID. (Kind of sucks).

billtaichi

Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
NC
Just got my SID today from vapingcraze for $39. Thanks to all of you who posted your experiences I was not sure about this purchase until reading this thread, and I really like this device, feels good in the hand and it works flawlessly so far. I also got 2 of the Orbitron 2900 mah 18650 batteries Pbusardo talks about on his site. The battery is a tight fit but went in without much trouble and the SID is working like a champ so far. The menu is easy to use, I do wish I could check ohms without firing it but that is not really that big a deal I have a mulitmeter if needed.
One thing I have found is the threads are VERY crunchy, they work fine but I need to buy some Nolax or something for them tommorrow as I don't want to take the cap off too much without something on them.

Will post more info as I use it for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread