Smoktech Sid or JoyeTech Evic?? That is the Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigfro23

Verified Member
OK, I've decided that I'm in the market for a new APV, Only been vaping for going on 4 weeks and I've already purchased 2 devices and believe they both work excellent, and I mean good!! I just dont Know, I think I must just be a Product "Junkie" and I suffer from the ATCD all too often. Mainly, I was looking for a VV/VW device that could be my "Travel buddy" meaning everywhere I go, I could take it w/ me. I currently have an 350Mah Ego Mini, and a MVP2.. I love them both but the Ego not being VV atleast, has been taking up the shelf for the past week, and the MVP has been my take everywhere Vape. I've done research on both the Sid & the Evic but I have yet to pull the trigger on Either... I like smok as a company, so naturally the Sid Intriged me, but I keep hearing about the large following of the Evic... I think Ultimately I might get both, but which should I start with?, and why?​

milescadre

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
between the 2 choices, if you have the money I'd go evic.

However, over BOTH of them I'd strongly recommend the mvp v2. its cheaper than the evic, and like the evic it allows micro usb charging. it comes with a 2600 mah battery, and either 2 iclear 16 tanks or a iclear 30 tank (usually. mine came with 2 iclear 16s.).

Its my personal favorite ^^ The only thing I'd like with the evic over the mvp is evic is cylindrical and the battery is easily replaceable, whereas the battery in the mvp cannot be serviced.

porkchopbun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2013
Northern CALI, USA
I 2nd the MVP 2......I had smoktech sid....lets underline the word "had"...it's looks all great in the pictures etc..but when I got it..it felt cheap...and it looks outdated compared to newer cheap tube MODs...
I placed mine ontop my son's blanket on the couch, my wife grabbed the blanket quickly..it did a flip/360 spin the air and nailed perfect landing on the carpet..it would of made the Chinese diving team coach proud ..I gave it perfect score....long story short, it shuts off and on at random..something got loose...

I dropped my Lava tube, MVP 2, itaste and e-go from higher distance..still working..My wife (computer engineer)is going to take it apart the SID and see what got loose...

How about Vamo v5...if you have lot patience..Fasttech has them pretty cheap..but you should definitely wait on ordering from them now..the Chinese New Year is starting soon...and I would still wait a month after the holidays...while Chinese postal service do catch up

Bigfro23

Verified Member

However, over BOTH of them I'd strongly recommend the mvp v2. its cheaper than the evic, and like the evic it allows micro usb charging. it comes with a 2600 mah battery, and either 2 iclear 16 tanks or a iclear 30 tank (usually. mine came with 2 iclear 16s.).

Its my personal favorite ^^ The only thing I'd like with the evic over the mvp is evic is cylindrical and the battery is easily replaceable, whereas the battery in the mvp cannot be serviced.

Miles, I can't agree w/ you more over the MVP2, I've had mine now for maybe 2 weeks and I completely love it.. It opened my eyes to the world of VV/VW and that's why I'm looking @ the either the Evic or SiD right now. I originally purchased the MVP2 for that Vape that never left the house, but since I got it it's been on hip!!! I think I'm just looking for a VV/VW thats cylindrical that I can just take anywhere w/ me!!! I was thinking get another MVP just for that, but why not try something different right??

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
I guess I would choose the SiD over the Evic, but it all depends on what's most important to you. My SiD sees most of its use as the device that gets tossed in my pocket for two main reasons - low cost and light weight. They do feel a little cheap, but that also translates into one of the lightest 18650 devices around. I also have 18500 and 18350 tubes to make it smaller.

Another option for a tube shaped APV in the same price range as the SiD is the ZMAX or ZMAX mini. I like the Smok versions because they're a little slimmer and lighter than the Sigelei.

BillyWJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
usa

Read his post closer, he already has one. :)

BillyWJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
usa
OK, I've decided that I'm in the market for a new APV, Only been vaping for going on 4 weeks and I've already purchased 2 devices and believe they both work excellent, and I mean good!! I just dont Know, I think I must just be a Product "Junkie" and I suffer from the ATCD all too often. Mainly, I was looking for a VV/VW device that could be my "Travel buddy" meaning everywhere I go, I could take it w/ me. I currently have an 350Mah Ego Mini, and a MVP2.. I love them both but the Ego not being VV atleast, has been taking up the shelf for the past week, and the MVP has been my take everywhere Vape. I've done research on both the Sid & the Evic but I have yet to pull the trigger on Either... I like Smok as a company, so naturally the Sid Intriged me, but I keep hearing about the large following of the Evic... I think Ultimately I might get both, but which should I start with?, and why?​

I have a SID, and am very happy with it, I've had no problems with it. I looked at the EVIC, and most of it's features are ones I don't need or or care about - the display is nice and all, but not necessary. Personally, I like the smaller display on the SID, I don't need a PV that lights up like the Evic does.

They're both solid performers, people who buy both love them, if you can hit a local B&M and see them in person, that might help you choose. I don't think you'll regret either one. Get some decent batteries and a good charger with your decision, and you're good to go!

(I also wouldn't travel with the SID, only because I don't want to lose it or have it stolen.)

milescadre

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Read his post closer, he already has one. :)

my bad, in that case, the evic =P Micro usb charging, replacable 18650 batteries, tons of neat features and even a vape tracker with software.

Sid will do most but will require a additional charger. some people can live with the functionality of the sid, that single button design drove me nuts and I literally took the sid back to the shop I bought it from, and the guy was like "I cant return it, BUT, I was looking to buy one, so if you want I'll buy something in the store for you for that sid." and thats how I got my MVP kit ^^

Infact, if I had the money I'd be going for a evic right now myself. but I need to downsize my collection as it is XD

Bigfro23

Verified Member
I 2nd the MVP 2......I had smoktech sid....lets underline the word "had"...it's looks all great in the pictures etc..but when I got it..it felt cheap...and it looks outdated compared to newer cheap tube MODs...
I placed mine ontop my son's blanket on the couch, my wife grabbed the blanket quickly..it did a flip/360 spin the air and nailed perfect landing on the carpet..it would of made the Chinese diving team coach proud ..I gave it perfect score....long story short, it shuts off and on at random..something got loose...

I dropped my Lava tube, MVP 2, itaste and e-go from higher distance..still working..My wife (computer engineer)is going to take it apart the SID and see what got loose...

How about Vamo v5...if you have lot patience..Fasttech has them pretty cheap..but you should definitely wait on ordering from them now..the Chinese New Year is starting soon...and I would still wait a month after the holidays...while Chinese postal service do catch up

So Porkchop, the build of the Smoktech Sid is cheap??? My First Ego was by Smok and it's pretty solids construction, as well as some of the ARO tanks I have. Well I might have to try out the Evic 1st, I'm looking for a MOD thats as solid as the MVP with all the funtion if not more... Ohh, and asthetics count too!!! I looked at the VAMOs & The ZMAXs and they looked too Flashlight-"Ish" to me. I guess I'll just shop around, and see what other MODs I can find that are reasonably priced....

jball49

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2014
Des Moines, IA
OK, I've decided that I'm in the market for a new APV, Only been vaping for going on 4 weeks and I've already purchased 2 devices and believe they both work excellent, and I mean good!! I just dont Know, I think I must just be a Product "Junkie" and I suffer from the ATCD all too often. Mainly, I was looking for a VV/VW device that could be my "Travel buddy" meaning everywhere I go, I could take it w/ me. I currently have an 350Mah Ego Mini, and a MVP2.. I love them both but the Ego not being VV atleast, has been taking up the shelf for the past week, and the MVP has been my take everywhere Vape. I've done research on both the Sid & the Evic but I have yet to pull the trigger on Either... I like Smok as a company, so naturally the Sid Intriged me, but I keep hearing about the large following of the Evic... I think Ultimately I might get both, but which should I start with?, and why?​

I personally would take the advice of the experienced here that have used both. I have a SID but it is the only mod I have owned. It works great and I have no complaints with it so far but that has only been a month and a half.

Bigfro23

Verified Member
Thats a Second for the SiD!!! I'd definately be using the Sid for that Purpose, on the go Something I can just throw in my pocket and keep it moving.. But the fact that it seems cheap kind of throws me off. I was researching the ZMAX mini last night, it looked like it was of a more solids build, reminded me of a flashlight but most mods do, but the LCD menu looked confusing:confused: to me. I guess the more you have and own it you'll get used to the controls... Thanks..

porkchopbun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2013
Northern CALI, USA
So Porkchop, the build of the Smoktech Sid is cheap??? My First Ego was by Smok and it's pretty solids construction, as well as some of the ARO tanks I have. Well I might have to try out the Evic 1st, I'm looking for a MOD thats as solid as the MVP with all the funtion if not more... Ohh, and asthetics count too!!! I looked at the VAMOs & The ZMAXs and they looked too Flashlight-"Ish" to me. I guess I'll just shop around, and see what other MODs I can find that are reasonably priced....

IMHO..it didn't feel solid...compared to Vamo 3, Lavatube, or even my Itaste...

I only bought it because they were clearing the black ones out for 32.00 shipped and some deal site stated they saw SS model for about the same back in Dec 2013. But it did perform well and it did the job. I like the quality of the mounting for 510/e-go style connection compared to my Vamo V3 though.

Since you like Evic, you can check this one out too:

Authentic Sigelei Legend

BillyWJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
usa
I researched mods pretty thoroughly when I bought the SID - the Evic, honestly, is almost 3 times as expensive, for ONE feature that would actually be useful to me, the USB charging. The rest of the features are about the same as the puff counter - I'll never use 'em. I'm not saying it's a bad mod, it's just not worth the extra money to me for features I won't use. The SID did everything I wanted, for a cheaper price. I didn't mine investing in a charger and batteries, as I knew I'd be using that down the road with more mods and mechs (which is true, I also got a Smok Galieo mech).

As far as it being flimsy? Not at all. I've dropped it, it's been thrown around the car a couple of times, it's fine - no scratches even, and I scratch everything.

I'm trying to come up with a complaint, but I can't, I've honestly not had a single problem with it. Maybe twice the coil on the bottom cap was wonky and the battery not making contact correct, but that was simple to fix.

milescadre

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
I researched mods pretty thoroughly when I bought the SID - the Evic, honestly, is almost 3 times as expensive, for ONE feature that would actually be useful to me, the USB charging. The rest of the features are about the same as the puff counter - I'll never use 'em. I'm not saying it's a bad mod, it's just not worth the extra money to me for features I won't use. The SID did everything I wanted, for a cheaper price. I didn't mine investing in a charger and batteries, as I knew I'd be using that down the road with more mods and mechs (which is true, I also got a Smok Galieo mech).

As far as it being flimsy? Not at all. I've dropped it, it's been thrown around the car a couple of times, it's fine - no scratches even, and I scratch everything.

I'm trying to come up with a complaint, but I can't, I've honestly not had a single problem with it. Maybe twice the coil on the bottom cap was wonky and the battery not making contact correct, but that was simple to fix.

out of the dozens and dozens of sid units that have been sold in both the vape shops I frequent, I think they said they had only one case where the customer broke it, and that was due to over tightening the threads and stripping them.

Sid by no means is a bad mod. I'd say its build quality is jsut as good as an evic. Their size is pretty close, evic weighs more but the head has ALOT more on it than a sid, not to mention has additional buttons and what not.

Sid is not a bad choice, and will offer the exact same functions (minus the usb charging) that mvp will. if its a matter of a 20$ difference, I'd say evic. but if its say 40 vs 110, by all means save yourself a TON of money and get a sid.

my shop sells sids for around 65$ without anything extra. tack on 10$ for a battery, another 7 for a cheap charger, plus tx and youre easily around 80-90$ on a sid (again thats around me, not online. probably can get one from fast tech for 40-ish)

they also sell the evic for 98$ and it comes with a battery, not to mention doesnt need a charger since its micro usb.

my 2 cents ^^

Bigfro23

Verified Member
Mann, you guys are really putting on so awesome devices w/ this thread!!! As of now I've added 2 more APVs to my list of possibilities and there both coming from Sigelei!!! I had to revist the ZMAX Mini, because I didn't know Sigelei made one w/ the OLED Display, and After looking @ the Sigelei Legend I'm at a loss for words!!!! I might just get one of these if I can find them CHEAP- ish!! Thanks Guys, you've been extremly Helpful.. But I haven't given up on the Sid or the EVic, I still have both in my Ebay Cart...

framehacker

Jan 29, 2014
Montana
I got my evic with a protank 2 off ebay and its great. But after having it a while and wanting to build my own coils going into sub ohm with dual or quad coils I found that the evic wont support it. I guess it just doesn't put out the power or wats that im looking for. If im wrong someone please correct me. Im looking into a kayfun lite with sub ohm coils. But all in all I love my evic I am a techie and love all of the options. Even though I dont use them lol.

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
Capitol District New York
I just purchased a SID for $32. I'm guessing that a version 2.0 is just around the corner and shops are dumping the soon to be old stock. Free shipping, 12% off with coupon "REDDIT", 10% "FACEBOOK" (not sure which codes are still valid)
www.vapingme.com/smok-sid-vv-vw-mod/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread