SMOKtech Gripper VV Variable Voltage Back In Stock!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannoman

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Sugar Land, Texas USA
smoktechgripper.png

smoktechgripper_1.png

smoktechgripper_2.png

smoktechgripper_3.png

smoktechgripper_4.png

This wound up beign very popular for its simplicity of use, performance and economical price. They are back and in plentiful supply : )

SMOKtech Gripper VV 3.0-6.0 18650 Variable 510 OLED
$69.95 $54.95

Good quality 18650 variable mod with an injection molded body featuring a dark charcoal gray rubberized finish. The SMOKtech Gripper VV is very comfortable to hold, simple and straighforward to use and lightweight. If features a gorgeous OLED screen (see picture at left) with a horn style button and a sealed 510 connection. •Variable between 3.0-6.0 in .1 increments. It cycles either way, meaning if you are at 6.0 and press the + button it cycles to 3.0. If you are at 3.0 and press the - button it cycles up to 6.0.

• Press the round power button on the front of the Gripper once and it displays the ohmage of an attached cartomizer.
  • Features a 5 click on/off safety feature
  • Low Resistance Indicator: If the output resistance is below 1.2ohm and you try to press the fire button atop the Gripper you will see a warning error code "LO-Ω"
  • hort Circuit atomizer/cartomizer - if you are experiencing a problem with your device press the fire button atop the Gripper (S4) and the device will alert you with a "LO-V" error code.
  • Low Battery Indicator - If your 18650 batetry's voltage is below 3.4 you can press the S4 button atop the Gripper, (aka the fire button) and it will display the error code: "LO-V"
  • The Gripper is advertised at being able to fire an atomizer as low as 1.5Ω, your results may vary.

With this listing you receive:

• One Gripper body in dark charcoal gray, rubberized paint finish
  • English manual with thorough operation on usage and features written in plain English
  • Beautiful presentation box
  • Requires 1 IMR 18650 battery (not included), batteries with protection cicuitry including SMOKtech's own 18650 batteries will not fit. Due to variances in battery manufatcuring some 18650 batteries may not work in this unit as there are no springs but simply a bendable clip at battery compartment door.

wolandepiphanius

Darth Wolandvader
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2012
San Francisco, CA
I have one of these, and I really love it. But, it does have some issues (mine that is, not in general). I've never dropped or mistreated the gripper but the following things happened to it.

The negative battery connector on the battery door at the bottom came loose. The plastic things holding the connector just broke off. The fire button is acting finicky, and only fires if I push it in a certain way. I don't know if anyone else has had these problems. But I still like it, it still functions.

Now, a question, are they ever going to make this in metal? I think it would benefit a lot if it were made of stainless steel, in my opinion. The construction seems a bit flimsy to me. I'd pay extra to get one in stainless steel. I just love the way this thing looks and feels in my hand. I just wish it was sturdier. OK, that's my 2 cents. I know you guys have a lot of influence, so could you ask if they'd be willing to make this in ss? I'm sure I'll get one, and I'm sure others would probably be interested in a ss version, too. Unless I'm alone here, which I probably am. :(

OK, thanks for listening, and this is one great mod (even with all the issues I've had with mine).

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
I have one of these, and I really love it. But, it does have some issues (mine that is, not in general). I've never dropped or mistreated the gripper but the following things happened to it.

The negative battery connector on the battery door at the bottom came loose. The plastic things holding the connector just broke off. The fire button is acting finicky, and only fires if I push it in a certain way. I don't know if anyone else has had these problems. But I still like it, it still functions.

Now, a question, are they ever going to make this in metal? I think it would benefit a lot if it were made of stainless steel, in my opinion. The construction seems a bit flimsy to me. I'd pay extra to get one in stainless steel. I just love the way this thing looks and feels in my hand. I just wish it was sturdier. OK, that's my 2 cents. I know you guys have a lot of influence, so could you ask if they'd be willing to make this in ss? I'm sure I'll get one, and I'm sure others would probably be interested in a ss version, too. Unless I'm alone here, which I probably am. :(

OK, thanks for listening, and this is one great mod (even with all the issues I've had with mine).
I also had issues and in a thread about the gripper here on Ecf i pre-read and knew the issues i might face but for me not a deal breaker for 39.00 and familar about modding some things if need be .
The 510 connector with a tank such as a genesis type will soon wiggle and the battery door as poster mentioned is held with plastic knubs , the metal strap instead of spring is also held with plastic nubs that soon let loose of the metal ground contact.

Now with that all being said one can open the unit and JB the 510 connector as i was quite surprised how they placed it, once JB welded it will not move ever.
The battery door's ground strip also Jb welded.

The board that runs this device is very efficient much unlike the NCP-630 which gets very warm and reason why those are called hand warmers . Thats one i also have but bought in kit form and its a year old.
So the board in the gripper being better in my opinion should last and perform well for the user.
As a note the case is just super glued together and comes open by prying a little here and there with no damage and then the use can super glue it back shut after properly securing the 510 connector.

For the 39.00 i paid i felt somewhat guilty cause it works excellent now with a little help.
If the case ever breaks i will just gut it into a new case as the board just has a few spots of hot glue and can come out with no problem.

wolandepiphanius

Darth Wolandvader
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2012
San Francisco, CA
I also had issues and in a thread about the gripper here on Ecf i pre-read and knew the issues i might face but for me not a deal breaker for 39.00 and familar about modding some things if need be .
The 510 connector with a tank such as a genesis type will soon wiggle and the battery door as poster mentioned is held with plastic knubs , the metal strap instead of spring is also held with plastic nubs that soon let loose of the metal ground contact.

Now with that all being said one can open the unit and JB the 510 connector as i was quite surprised how they placed it, once JB welded it will not move ever.
The battery door's ground strip also Jb welded.

The board that runs this device is very efficient much unlike the NCP-630 which gets very warm and reason why those are called hand warmers . Thats one i also have but bought in kit form and its a year old.
So the board in the gripper being better in my opinion should last and perform well for the user.
As a note the case is just super glued together and comes open by prying a little here and there with no damage and then the use can super glue it back shut after properly securing the 510 connector.

For the 39.00 i paid i felt somewhat guilty cause it works excellent now with a little help.
If the case ever breaks i will just gut it into a new case as the board just has a few spots of hot glue and can come out with no problem.

I wish I had your skills to do all that. I guess I could try and follow what you did, but I don't want to destroy my gripper just yet :D. And I will probably end up destroying it if I take it apart. But one day, I'll try.

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
I wish I had your skills to do all that. I guess I could try and follow what you did, but I don't want to destroy my gripper just yet :D. And I will probably end up destroying it if I take it apart. But one day, I'll try.
Its simple actually, i opened battery door and with fingers slowly and patiently spread it then i simply used thin blade screw driver and slid it down the sides to open further and soon it opened completely. Nothing will fall out as a note the board is hot glued .
You can spread Jb weld all around the 510 connector to make it nice and solid.
As for your fireing switch easily replaced with switch of same size in same spot or cut the 2 wires to it and on front install a small 6 or 8 mm tactile switch.
The ground spring just put a dab of JB weld where the 2 plastics tabs broke away and use alligator clip on the hump part of that strip until it dries, hot glue is another option but JB is very strong so strong i used it on my jeeps oil pan which had a small pierce in it and that was done about 7 years back and still holding .
If you need to see what the inside looks like send me a pm and i send pictures of insides its a very simple setup, you will also see why the 510 connector wiggles when a genesis atty is attached which is all i use nowadays.

Last edited:

wolandepiphanius

Darth Wolandvader
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2012
San Francisco, CA
Its simple actually, i opened battery door and with fingers slowly and patiently spread it then i simply used thin blade screw driver and slid it down the sides to open further and soon it opened completely. Nothing will fall out as a note the board is hot glued .
You can spread Jb weld all around the 510 connector to make it nice and solid.
As for your fireing switch easily replaced with switch of same size in same spot or cut the 2 wires to it and on front install a small 6 or 8 mm tactile switch.
The ground spring just put a dab of JB weld where the 2 plastics tabs broke away and use alligator clip on the hump part of that strip until it dries, hot glue is another option but JB is very strong so strong i used it on my jeeps oil pan which had a small pierce in it and that was done about 7 years back and still holding .
If you need to see what the inside looks like send me a pm and i send pictures of insides its a very simple setup, you will also see why the 510 connector wiggles when a genesis atty is attached which is all i use nowadays.

Thanks for all this info! I guess before I do all this I need some jb weld. I'll pm you when I'm ready for this undertaking :).

wolandepiphanius

Darth Wolandvader
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2012
San Francisco, CA
If and when that time comes i'd be happy to be of any help. ; )
The gripper is a great device and i use it along with my Zmax daily .

But I wish they'd come out with a stainless steel, or some type of metal, version first, so I don't have to tread down that path :).

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
But I wish they'd come out with a stainless steel, or some type of metal, version first, so I don't have to tread down that path :).
Well just a thought instead of rebuilding yours as is and waiting for a metal casing one to come out. LOL ; )
The famous drug store thats in almost every town has sale for altoids @ 2 for 3.00.
Everything will fit in this tin box , and the 6-8 mm tactile switch is less than a dollar , a chrome horn switch about 3.00.
Heck some acetone will easily swipe off the graphics on the tin and your skin as well if not wearing gloves and you can paint to your choice !
Edit :dont forget the battery spring set and JB weld.

wolandepiphanius

Darth Wolandvader
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2012
San Francisco, CA
Well just a thought instead of rebuilding yours as is and waiting for a metal casing one to come out. LOL ; )
The famous drug store thats in almost every town has sale for altoids @ 2 for 3.00.
Everything will fit in this tin box , and the 6-8 mm tactile switch is less than a dollar , a chrome horn switch about 3.00.
Heck some acetone will easily swipe off the graphics on the tin and your skin as well if not wearing gloves and you can paint to your choice !
Edit :dont forget the battery spring set and JB weld.

Now that's an idea. I already have an altoids box! I think I still do. I have to go check now.

WallyO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Cicero,IL
I saw one at a my favorite vape shop today. I like the small form factor, feels good and solid in my hands (compared to my tube mods) and the vape experience is actually great. Ended up buying one and plan to use this as my outdoors PV.
I like mine as well. Very comfortable to hold and use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread