Smokeless tobacco: EU dogma or dialogue? (by Imperial's Steve Stotesbury)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
[h=1]Smokeless tobacco: EU dogma or dialogue?
Smokeless tobacco: EU dogma or dialogue? | EurActiv[/h][h=1]
The emergence of smokeless tobacco in Sweden and now Norway should make the European Commission think twice about its decision to impose a ban, writes Steve Stotesbury.

[/h][h=1]
Dr Steve Stotesbury is head of Regulatory Science at Imperial tobacco.

"Some Europeans are aware of a significant development which has been unfolding right on Europe’s doorstep. First in Sweden, and more recently in Norway, smoking is becoming much less prevalent due to a growing preference for smokeless tobacco, especially in men.

The curious thing is that this important phenomenon does not seem to be more widely known – especially amongst those in Brussels who are tasked with regulating tobacco products and protecting public health in the European Union.

Smokeless tobacco includes a range of products containing tobacco that are designed for chewing, sucking and snuffing and have been in use for a long period of time. Moist snuff is more commonly known as snus in Sweden.

The reason this switch to smokeless products is so interesting is that some researchers and organisations, including the World Health Organization (WHO), believe it may have a positive impact on the incidence of smoking-related diseases.

In 2008, a WHO report (WHO Technical Report Series report 951, 2008) stated that:

• “There is little question that, in general, smokeless tobacco products are less harmful than combusted tobacco products such as cigarettes”.

• "Among the smokeless tobacco products on the market, products with low levels of nitrosamines, such as Swedish snus, are considerably less hazardous than cigarettes, while the risks associated with some products used in Africa and Asia approach those of smoking.”

So what has happened in Sweden and why is this so relevant to the further regulation of tobacco products as it is currently proposed by the EU Commission?

The overall prevalence of total tobacco use in the EU is approximately 25 to 30% of the adult population, but tobacco use patterns in the EU vary country-by-country – and a unique situation has developed in Sweden.

At present, the Swedes have the highest prevalence of snus use and the lowest prevalence of smoking in the EU, down to a mere 13% in men and 16% for women in 2008/2009. By contrast, the per-capita consumption of snus approximately doubled between 1970 and 2008 (Drug Trends Sweden, 2010), with 21% of male adults now using smokeless tobacco.

This constitutes a major change in tobacco consumption preferences, and when coupled with the view of the WHO quoted above, marks an important development that needs to be better understood and warrants closer examination.

We find that in both Sweden and Norway – where use of smokeless tobacco has increased while smoking prevalence has fallen - rates of many of the diseases traditionally associated with smoking are well below the European average. In fact, Sweden now has the lowest mortality rates from these diseases compared to anywhere else in Europe.

You might expect EU decision-makers to showcase this situation and proclaim it to be an outstanding success story – after all, where else have smoking incidence and, in parallel, rates of smoking-related diseases fallen in such a short period of time?

The reason they do not is because the special Swedish situation has been created by legislation from the EU – but only in a negative sense that does them no credit. Sweden is the ‘exception’ – the one in 27 member states – simply because the EU has banned the sale of snus everywhere else whereas Sweden was granted this exemption as part of their accession terms in 1995. Snus is thus rarely used in other EU countries because of this blanket ban.

And the only reason that Norway has a growing snus consumption is because it is not a member of the EU and therefore unaffected by the ban in the other 26 states.

This does not mean that the EU has not considered the phenomenon – indeed they have on a number of occasions. In 2008, the Scientific Committee on Emerging and Newly Identified Health Risks (SCENIHR) – a Commission group of independent experts – adopted its final opinion on the Health Effects of Smokeless Tobacco Products. In reference to tobacco for oral use, Swedish snus, SCENIHR said;

• “…These reports suggest that in northern Sweden, the availability of snus and the way in which it has been used may have been beneficial to public health since the harm to health caused by any use of snus as a gateway into smoking may have been more than outweighed numerically by the numbers quitting smoking for snus”

This was not the only conclusion that SCENIHR reached, as they also said that:

• “STP [smokeless tobacco products] are clearly less hazardous, and in relation to respiratory and cardiovascular disease substantially less hazardous, than cigarette smoking. The magnitude of the overall reduction in hazard is difficult to estimate, but as outlined above, for cardiovascular disease is at least 50%, for oral and GI cancer probably also at least 50%, and for respiratory disease close to 100%. A recent study using a modified Delphi approach to estimate the relative hazard of snus concluded that the product was likely to be approximately 90% less harmful than smoking…”

To the casual observer these figures, with the advice from the EU’s own expert group, would suggest that the Commission and its co-legislators, the EU Parliament and the Council of Ministers – should jump on any chance to overturn the ban and extend the Swedish ‘exception’ to the rest of the EU.

In fact, that opportunity could be at hand as the European Commission currently prepares its revision of the existing European Tobacco Products Directive (EUTPD) dating back to 2001. In the new Directive, given the evidence collected over the past decade, it could easily reverse the snus ban.

Surprisingly, in the draft of the new EUTPD published in various international media over the past few weeks, however, the EU Commission does the exact opposite – it seems that it intends to make the Swedish ‘exception’ even more exceptional by actually extending the ban on oral tobacco to all types of smokeless tobacco products throughout the whole European Union.

Why would the Commission take a decision that flies in the face of such a solid body of evidence?

In their efforts to engage with the Commission on this issue, tobacco manufacturers have been joined by members of the scientific community and the Swedish Government, who all want the Commission to lift the ban on Scandinavian smokeless tobacco products and make them available to all Europeans.

They jointly realise the data derived from the Swedish ‘exception’ may represent the most significant step forward in our understanding of the association between tobacco and health since the 1950s and this should be more than enough to get any responsible regulators’ attention and create a pause in their dash to extend the ban against all evidence.

Understanding the evidence, and yet maintaining a commitment to a dogma driven by prejudice against a choice they do not understand or agree with, is simply not good enough from an EU legislative perspective. One even suspects that their hatred of tobacco has itself become such a passion that it blinkers them and those activists driving the anti-tobacco agenda internationally from recognising the historic opportunity now sitting on Europe’s doorstep.

The window of opportunity to have an informed dialogue and consider the compelling evidence without prejudice is open. Let’s hope that the months to come see the Commission applying its principles of ‘Smart Regulation’ a little more rigorously to itself - otherwise don’t let them dare to maintain their claim that they are aiming to protect the public health of Europe’s citizens."

[/h]

Last edited:

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
I'm interested to see Imperial Tobacco taking this position as they seemed to be the last of the big tobacco corporations actively campaigning against ecigs. It seems to indicate that they might believe they have an ST product that could compete in Europe against Swedish Snus.

I'm not sure that any efforts that the big tobacco corporations could make to compete against the Swedish product would compensate for the loss in cigarette sales, as they would probably be putting something like Camel Snus up against the real thing in its own backyard? Anyway, Imperial look as if they are prepared to take the gamble. Or maybe they will have marketing agreements with the Swedish manufacturers. Or distribution channels more likely. I guess this is even more important than branding, in an emerging market with no brand loyalty, and the distribution channels key to sales.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Roly, I'm not sure how much brand loyalty there is with snus. At least that is what I've seen of US snusers. I have a personal preference of General Mint, but at most I use two portions a day of it. My other two or three could be any of a dozen or two other brands. Plus it seems that taste changes over time. I've had brands I hated at one point that I try later and find I like it.

Perhaps this is just an American preference. I've corresponded with a number of Swedish users over the lasty three years but never thought to ask about brand usage. The disacussions were more on quantity. My impression of Swedish usage is that it is more like cigarette usage where a seasoned snuser will consume a can or more a day. I've maintained a pretty consistent 4 or 5 portions a day, but they can be lipped for hours if the taste is still there.

The only thing I can say on this Euro ban is that it has to be oriented more to the losses suffered by BF and to a lesser extent, tobacco companies not involved in the snus market. A partnership between Swedish manufacturers and tobacco companies like Imperial Tobacco would certainly make sense. I know that the American market could be expanded if BT used their distribution network to sell Swedish snus. Camel's okay in a pinch, but I don't think I'd ever be able to take a steady diet of it.

DMAudio

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2012
Zoocastle
Well this was some interesting reading! The summary that I have taken away from all this is that 'something' must be influencing the people who make these decisions because it is ludicrous, and possibly even criminally negligent to place an EU wide ban on something which not only lowers the rate of smokers, but also the rate of documented illnesses, whilst at the same time NOT banning cigarettes which have been proven for a long time now to cause serious illness.

As has been mentioned before, this no longer appears to be about public health, but about protecting the massive amounts of income generated through taxation and medicine. Why else would you outlaw the comparitively inoccuous Snus, but not cigarettes?

The only other possible explanation is that even now they really don't understand how to help people stop smoking. I mean, banning advertising, web sales, and now vendors have to hide cigarettes away in cabinets....they didn't honestly think that would save thousands of lives from smoking did they?! If they were serious about saving lives and the health effects....I mean truly serious, they would ban it. Unfortunately, the revenues generated for governments and the HUGE influence of 'big tobacco', means that will probably never happen.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Father Jack Kierney left a comment on this story: Commentary: The Old Tobacco Industry Playbook and A Game That Two Can Play | The Partnership at Drugfree.org

Legacy might have more credibility if it stopped doing the same things it accuses the tobacco industry of doing: ignoring research and using half-truth advertising. Let’s be clear: it is smoking that kills, not tobacco. Research is showing that electronic cigarettes are helping people quit smoking and are much, much safer than smoking. When Legacy promotes the lie that smokeless tobacco is just as bad as smoking they are actually helping to kill smokers who think that they might as well stay smoking instead of switching to less harmful alternatives. Sorry, Legacy, sincerity is no substitute for science….

Steve Hellig, who calls himself an ethicist and an epidemiologist, responded:

Re Mr. Kearney’s comment:
All of your assertions are very debatable at best, with more being found about harms of smokeless tobacco all the time (and your statement ‘smoking kills, not tobacco” is simply absurd). But for now, please disclose if you have any financial or other interests in any smokeless tobacco products, including electronic cigarettes. Thank you.

Perhaps MISTER Hellig should take a look at the WHO report, and spend some time searching PubMed for articles on the health effects of snus.

Observation: My husband tells me that when you hear the opposition start name-calling and making unfounded accusations, you know that you have won the argument. The opposition ran out of facts to use as ammunition.

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Per Roly's comment, Imperial is the last large multinational tobacco company to still not market smokefree products (about 4 years ago Imperial Tobacco Canada discontinued its short lived test marketing of several snus products as Canada's tobacco advertising ban and subsequent retail display bans made it nearly impossible to inform smokers that the new snus products existed).

Imperial's chief reasons for opposing Dalli's Tobacco Products Directive are its requirement for color graphic warnings on cigarettes, its ban on flavored cigarettes, it's possible requirment for plain packaged cigarettes (and likely other cigarette regulations that have yet to be disclosed).

Steve Stotesbury's commentary simply pointed out the most convincing argument (that Swedish Match has been pointing out for years) for changing and/or derailing Dalli's Tobacco Product Directive.

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Abut 15 years ago, I exposed the hypocrisy of the Partnership for a Drug Free America (renamed Partnership at Drugfree.org) for being heavily funded by the tobacco and alcohol industry, which prompted the organization to stop taking tobacco and alcohol industry money and replace it with drug industry funding.

Just as drug companies have influenced tobacco control policies (by giving money to anti tobacco groups to promote abstinence-only zero tolerance policies and propaganda against all tobacco products and use), drug companies have also benefited by giving money to anti drug groups to promote abstinence-only zero tolerance policies and propaganda against all illegal drugs and their use (which is conveniently called abuse) because they also compete against Big Pharma products).

I just posted this comment (awaiting moderation) on the Partnership at Drugfree.org (cited above by Vocalek).

Bill Godshall | October 29, 2012 at 1:29 pm
Your comment is awaiting moderation.
As the one who convinced Sen. Mike Enzi to amend the FSPTCA during its 2007 Senate HELP Cmte markup to require color graphic warnings on all cigarette packs, I think it important to point out that the court ruling Cheryl Healton loathes didn’t strike down the statutory requirement for graphic warnings (which has been upheld by another federal circuit and appeals court), but rather struck down the specific warnings chosen by Obama’s FDA because some of the warnings were propaganda instead of informational or educational. Had Obama’s FDA heeded the advice I and others provided to them (in public comments), Judge Leon probably wouldn’t have struck them down as unconstitutional.

On another critically important public health issue, Fr Kearney’s comments are spot on. Legacy’s false and misleading fear mongering claims about e-cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products, and Legacy’s campaign to ban these new products (while keeping cigarettes legal) are unethical, inhumane and a huge threat to public health.

Several million smokers in the US, Sweden and Norway have already quit smoking by switching to smokeless tobacco, while several million smokers worldwide have quit smoking by switching to e-cigarettes.

If Ms. Healton was truly concerned about reducing tobacco disease and death (99% of which is caused by cigarette smoking), Legacy would discontinue its abstinence only prohibition and propaganda campaigns, and begin to truthfully inform smokers that all smokefree tobacco/nicotine alternatives are far less hazardous than cigarettes, and pose no risks to nonusers.

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread