Smoke baby beast rba finicky, faulty or operator error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ti-force

Jan 20, 2014
U.S.
Picked up a Baby Beast rba to make my own coils and I'm not sure what's going on but I'm not happy with it atm.

I can't seem to find the sweet spot with cotton. I'm using cotton bacon. I've changed the cotton several times now and if I put in enough cotton to prevent leaking, it doesn't seem to wick properly. I would describe it as in between dry hit and good hit. The flavor is better than with the pre-made coils, but the draw is less.

Each time I open the top it floods for 8 to 10 hits, then it's good for a bit, then it's not so great. I find myself opening the top briefly to get a good wick. Is it me or is it the rba? At the moment I get more enjoyment and ease of use from the pre-made coils, and I don't care the fiddle with cotton each time trying to get the right hit.

Any advice? More info below.

I'm running at 40 watts
26 ga Kanthal
2.5mm id winding
7 wraps in parallel per winding
Resistance is .25 ohms

Thanks,

Casey

Reactions: stols001

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I don't do much building and don't have this RBA, so can't really say much about your build or this deck. But maybe a response will generate some activity. Guessing not many of these RBA's in use yet.

Having a couple Prince tanks, the RBA caught my eye. So did check out a couple videos on building it. I thought it interesting that both videos tore out the included coils and inserted their preferred builds.....both being what I refer to as "exotic" wraps (I think alien was one of them, the other some fancy wrapped flat wire) around 0.2Ω. Both then ran them in the 90 watt range. Just made me wonder if this tank/deck might be better suited to those builds at high watts? I dunno! One thing both mentioned was using a good amount of cotton, then teasing the tails well and spread them out covering the entire juice well.

As I said, this may not be of much (if any) help, but may induce more reaction. Good luck, hope you find your sweet spot, and will follow along for pointers and to see if you get it working as you'd like.

ti-force

Jan 20, 2014
U.S.
Thanks for the reply. I'm still playing around with it trying to get it working correctly. I've figured out that I have to close the air vent completely when filling the tank. That was the cause of my initial leaking. After filling I get juice flooding through into my mouth for the first ten hits or so, then it's back to normal. It still doesn't wick like I feel it should, but as you mentioned it's probably that I don't have the amount of cotton correct yet. If I bump wattage up to 50 watts I start getting dry hits, so it seems it's not wicking enough juice, so hopefully I can get this figured out. Anyone have any suggestions for an rba that's not so picky? Something that's easy to use?

Thanks again

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
That was my experience. It sits on the shelf. As you write, not a dry hit but really doa regarding flavor. Especially compared to other RTA's I have, I have no compulsion to use it. Maybe I'll pick it up again some day and give it another shot. Sometimes after time goes by my skill level improves enough to make a difference.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Most people using that deck eventually graduate to something else. Feedback tends to be small deck, finicky to use, and not the easiest build without great RTA flavor.

I'd suggest starting with a single coil RTA, I'm not the biggest fan of "build" decks in drop in coil tanks, as they really aren't designed with that in mind, so they can be hard to operate or not give the best flavor.

If you are starting out, I'd suggest a single coil deck with a fairly easy build structure to it. The Hussar coppervape clone gets good reviews and offers multiple options (single or dual decks, more airflow or less) and it's inexpensive as a clone. Other builds for more DL that folks seem to like include the engine or engine nano (I think it's an RDTA) or maybe the Serpent SSM seem to be well liked for flavor or ease of use. I haven't used either myself, but folks who have them seem to like them. You have tons of options though, so I'm sure others will be along with more recommendations, and/or assistance if you want to continue using what you have.

Best of luck,

Anna

Reactions: Walee

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I had the big baby rba until i gave it to my friend, never had issues or leaking with it.
Never closed the airflow either and it never leaked through it.
if you want advice though, you should give us more details, what coils are you using (diameter,material,number of wraps if applicable). I had 2/2.5mm coils in there without issues bigger than that and there's your culprit.

Yes it's a small deck and not made for big exotic coils, wattage is subjective, i vaped at around 60 watts as higher was too hot or i had dry hits for days,apart from that it's mostly a get your cotton game together you never want it tight enough that it pulls your coils, you want it tight but just with a slight resistance when you pull it side to side,cut your tails at about the lenght of the base, fluff it a bit then insert into holes, prime it put the hole tank on it, then fill and i'd say wait about 20 seconds so the cotton and air has settled inside. Then all there is to do is basically inhale at the right speed and power (too fast you'll probably get dry hits, too hard you'll burn the cotton or flood the tank)

• Informative

ti-force

Jan 20, 2014
U.S.
Most people using that deck eventually graduate to something else. Feedback tends to be small deck, finicky to use, and not the easiest build without great RTA flavor.

I'd suggest starting with a single coil RTA, I'm not the biggest fan of "build" decks in drop in coil tanks, as they really aren't designed with that in mind, so they can be hard to operate or not give the best flavor.

If you are starting out, I'd suggest a single coil deck with a fairly easy build structure to it. The Hussar coppervape clone gets good reviews and offers multiple options (single or dual decks, more airflow or less) and it's inexpensive as a clone. Other builds for more DL that folks seem to like include the engine or engine nano (I think it's an RDTA) or maybe the Serpent SSM seem to be well liked for flavor or ease of use. I haven't used either myself, but folks who have them seem to like them. You have tons of options though, so I'm sure others will be along with more recommendations, and/or assistance if you want to continue using what you have.

Best of luck,

Anna

Thanks for the info, Anna. I'll pick up one of the RDTA's you mentioned and give it a go. Much appreciated.

Looks like I had one of my (unfortunately, many) senior moment when making my post! :shock:

I don't know why, but had the TFV12 Prince RBA stuck in my head when I made my post. In my best Rosanna Anna Danna impersonation....."Never mind!"

But it did get some legitimate responses! :D

No worries, I appreciate your help either way.

I had the big baby rba until i gave it to my friend, never had issues or leaking with it.
Never closed the airflow either and it never leaked through it.
if you want advice though, you should give us more details, what coils are you using (diameter,material,number of wraps if applicable). I had 2/2.5mm coils in there without issues bigger than that and there's your culprit.

Yes it's a small deck and not made for big exotic coils, wattage is subjective, i vaped at around 60 watts as higher was too hot or i had dry hits for days,apart from that it's mostly a get your cotton game together you never want it tight enough that it pulls your coils, you want it tight but just with a slight resistance when you pull it side to side,cut your tails at about the lenght of the base, fluff it a bit then insert into holes, prime it put the hole tank on it, then fill and i'd say wait about 20 seconds so the cotton and air has settled inside. Then all there is to do is basically inhale at the right speed and power (too fast you'll probably get dry hits, too hard you'll burn the cotton or flood the tank)

Thanks for the reply. After reading your reply, I'm thinking some of my problem could be that it's not flowing enough air for the draw I'm used to. Here are the details of my coil from the op:

I'm running at 40 watts
26 ga Kanthal
2.5mm id winding
Resistance is .25 ohms

I have since tried ss 316 in temp control mode. It's still so, so. More flavor than the Smok coils, but it still leaks when I fill the tank unless I close the air vent beforehand. I'll give another RTA a try and see if I get better results.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Thanks for the info, Anna. I'll pick up one of the RDTA's you mentioned and give it a go. Much appreciated.

No worries, I appreciate your help either way.

Thanks for the reply. After reading your reply, I'm thinking some of my problem could be that it's not flowing enough air for the draw I'm used to. Here are the details of my coil from the op:

I'm running at 40 watts
26 ga Kanthal
2.5mm id winding
Resistance is .25 ohms

I have since tried ss 316 in temp control mode. It's still so, so. More flavor than the Smok coils, but it still leaks when I fill the tank unless I close the air vent beforehand. I'll give another RTA a try and see if I get better results.
Yeah even though I had better results and no leaking even with the airflow open i used it mostly to practice my cotton game, it's better than smok's coils for sure but not better than a real rta or an rda like i'm using. I use 3mm coils atm at .21 0hms and i vape at 65 watts. Took me a while to get it right so don't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread