Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I will add a related story. I sold computers back in 1994-1995 and the dominant brand sold sold back then was Packard Bell (not to be confused with Hewlett-Packard) who at the time had a DOCUMENTED 19% return rate, by far the highest in the industry. As people started to realize this, combined with updated MS licensing prohibiting PB from using their custom navigator (which was their primary differentiater from other brands), sales fell and they were eventually acquired by NEC then later by Acer. Now they are no longer even sold in the US (although I think they are still sold in Europe). I would prefer to see smok over come this QC deficit and get better, rather than go the way of Packard Bell.

Snicks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2013
Riverside, CA
I think it is safe to say that smok is going to have to prove themselves ultimately but it might be too little too late for some of you.

I have 4 smok mods. I'm going to knock on wood and hope the three newer ones last. My oldest one has proven itself without a doubt. Good ol M80.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I think @Baditude is generally very good at saying what he means to say. He's said it numerous times that the shop he worked in experienced returns on about 1/3rd of the Smok mods they sold at said shop. I've never heard him say 33% of all Smok mods are turds. He might think it, but I've never heard him say it.

I didn't say "33% are turds" either. I said SMOK seemed to have a potential 33% (which is 1/3) failure rate.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I'll add my information from 3 shop owners I personally know, they claim to have smok returns in the first 6 months (that's relevant in germany) between 20%-30%. One of them (the only one having a stand-alone shop not connected to a nationwide franchise) has stopped selling smok mods (he still sells their tanks though).

So it looks like they may have improved a bit over the years. That is good to hear.

I will say that I have not had a bad experience with any of their tanks. Those seem to be quite good. I used several SMOK AROs exclusively for about 2 years shortly after I first switched to vaping, and have since used the TFV4 (RBA head) and TF-RTA tanks and tried out a friends BB. All were good. I should also mention that I built the coils for ALL of those, even the AROs myself, but the tanks themselves were good.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Well, I hope that no one thought that I was being critical of @OlderNDirt because my intent was quite the opposite. I thought some of the comments about his choice were kind of out of line.
@CMD-Ky ..... You've never been out of line.

Steve W Pedersen

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2011
bakersfield,ca
On a personal note from a very unhappy smok customer that a lot of my angst against Smock is really anger at myself you see the vape shop I got the mod kit from really let me have it price wise I was charged $110 for the smok mod kit that included the baby Beast tank. And a pair of Max Joe yellow batteries for $21 for two.
At first the only issues I had where the coils in the baby Beast tank I bought three coils at $6 a pop and two of them were bad and I could not exchange or return them then the mod itself started developing inconsistent firing issues.
It was only after I started having these issues that I went online and started really looking around and that's when I got really angry at just how overpriced this particular shop was so yeah mostly I'm angry at myself, and that has morphed into a pretty virulent hatred of all things smok. And I will never go back to that vape shop again. The mod itself started developing the firing issues two weeks after purchasing it technically I believe it's still in warranty but as I didn't keep the Box I'm kind of Sol.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Smok is great at marketing. There are few reviewers willing to give a COMPLETELY honest opinion, which is why I love the real world experiences around this place. Yeah, keep all packaging (will be useful if you ever want to sell anything someday) and if there's a warranty issue. It's kind of a pain, but when it happens, it's nice to have that option. I've only ever warrantied one thing, and it was recent and inexpensive (a couple Ego One Mega Tanks that won't read) and it was a pain, but I'm glad I did it.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience, that is too bad. I really prefer products I don't have to warranty, but it's only happened to me once. Not with a smok product.... Although, I just received notification that my smok stick that I won is winging its way from China! So yay... :)

Anna

Caesar77

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2017
Really. You don't know how to get good reviews on the internet. There's a whole market based around that.
If there's something SMOK does 100% right then it's marketing ;)
Reviewers shouldn't base their reviews on marketing but yeah I guess you are right and Smok has the money to make look great what is not that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread