Smok Arcfox - Being Weird When It Comes To Resistance...

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
I swore I'd never buy another smok product, after the Mag P3 crapped out on me after 6 months and all the 'supposed IP-65' rated rubber coating all fell off...

But then I fell for it again, by purchasing the Arcfox. Only because I was desperate for a quick replacement for my Geekvape Aegis that died. And, surprisingly, the Arcfox has turned out to be a reasonably respectable device (at least it has survived 12 months without signing off). It's done better than the Aegis, at least.

But, it has a peculiar problem, when it comes to reading resistance...

Sometimes, suddenly and without warning, the Arcfox decides for itself that the resistance of my coil is something entirely different to what it actually is. So I'm vaping away, on a 0.39-.40 coil - and suddenly, for no reason at all, the Arcfox decides that it's going to pretend my coil is like: 0.70 or something. No coil I've ever made reads such an idiotic number. And that coil definitely ISN'T. I have to take the batteries out, reset the system and then it goes back to the 0.39 Ohms that it should be.

Not to mention, if I'm not aware and don't bail in time - it hits like it's trying to kill me! It's like inhaling the smoke from a burning cotton plantation.

Now the other thing that bothers me, is the Arcfox has a variable resistance setting. Really? Seriously, I've been vaping for nearly 20 years, and I have NEVER known resistance to be a variable that you just dial in! ! As far as I'm aware, that's not how it works. So what on earth were they thinking?

I asked the guy at my local B&M where I bought it: "The f... is THIS all about?!" He just shrugged and said "I have no idea. Never seen that before in my life."

I wouldn't mind - but then, it's kinda hard to take when your best vaping buddy decides to disagree with the actual resistance of your coil - and then launches a nuclear assault on your lungs, just for fun. Have I missed a product recall or something?

I swear this thing hates me. I sometimes think it's trying to assassinate me. I'm surprised I haven't thrown it across the room.

Other than that... it's been fine (I say with a wry grin).

Thoughts...?

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    If you are in VW mode and the resistance changes drastically, clean the 510 connections on both the atty and the mod REALLY well. Also if using a rebuildable, make sure those coil mounting screws are tightened well, and also that there is no gunk from the coil to the posts.

Barring that, I would say the 510 is toast or possibly needs a resoldering job.

Now the other thing that bothers me, is the Arcfox has a variable resistance setting. Really? Seriously, I've been vaping for nearly 20 years, and I have NEVER known resistance to be a variable that you just dial in! ! As far as I'm aware, that's not how it works. So what on earth were they thinking?

That mod has TC mode. That's probably the reason for this feature?

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
    If you are in VW mode and the resistance changes drastically, clean the 510 connections on both the atty and the mod REALLY well. Also if using a rebuildable, make sure those coil mounting screws are tightened well, and also that there is no gunk from the coil to the posts.

Barring that, I would say the 510 is toast or possibly needs a resoldering job.

That mod has TC mode. That's probably the reason for this feature?
    Well, it's been doing this ever since I had it. So it's not like the unit is worn; 510 worked loose over time, or anything.
    In Smok's favour, it is solidly built. Even the paint has stayed on longer than mods at a similar price point.

The resistance jump does seem owing to a sudden recalibration. What you'd expect when you change atomisers; ie: throws up a "New atty?" prompt. Because the fire button doubles as the enter key in this mode, it's easy to set the wrong resistance if you didn't notice it asking, and selected "New coil" (default option), because you thought you were still in fire mode. When I have noticed, and caught it in time, the select buttons simply refuse to shift to "Old coil". Thus I must remove the batteries for a hard reset. It then picks up the atty and we're off again at the correct resistance.

Now I've had chance to think about it, I wonder it could be a temperature thing. Either the circuitry is affected by the heat, or something has expanded slightly on the wire clamp, causing a brief disconnection. The fault isn't consistent enough for me to determine if over heating is the cause though. And the misreading of new resistance is too odd to be true. That, and the failure of the select buttons, suggests something going on in either chip or software.

As for it being a feature (or fault) in temp mode - I only use power/ wattage mode. I've never been a fan of temperature control, and it's a feature I've always ignored in every TC capable mod I've owned.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    As for it being a feature (or fault) in temp mode - I only use power/ wattage mode. I've never been a fan of temperature control, and it's a feature I've always ignored in every TC capable mod I've owned.

Well if you're not in temp mode then that shouldn't be the problem.

I swear this thing hates me. I sometimes think it's trying to assassinate me. I'm surprised I haven't thrown it across the room.

I would have. Never know it could fix it :D

Kevvy Vapes

Mar 24, 2024
    Hi Dan_V!

I joined today for 2 reasons, the UK GOV proposed ban on vapes, and, to see if anyone sensible has the same issue with the Arcfox.

Sorry to hear your in the same boat. I put X2 Geekvape mods to bed for a multitude of poor performance reasons. Never again, GV are off my vendor list for now.

The Arcfox looked like the only consideration as a replacement, Screen is way, way too small for me, I can't read the Ohms. So, every other hour, when that horrific dry hit tears my throat out, I didn't see it coming! It either jumps to some crazy higher resistance, or, I get a 'short circuit' mssg.

Mines going back, had it near 2 months but expect more, they will have no say in it ;-)

I am certain all get the same issue, but some tanks will be better read than others. Some folk just get on with it & put up with the niggles. Me? Drives me mad! 3 years now of mod issues, starting with GV Ageis X, 3 times faulty units, then the T200 touch which unlocked its own screen & changed settings 30 times a day, until the screen went blank 5 months in. GV's response? "sorry we have no idea what is wrong with it, find a local vape repair shop" !!!

I took a compromise as the Arcfox doesn't look quite as good, but, Geekvapes looks are only skin deep. The Smok Alien mod was a classic; poor peeling paint job BUT solid as a rock. Sadly, this latest Smok is doomed. Looks to me to be a cheap internal mod re-hash, but put inside a more premium frame. The tiny display says it all, I'm getting on a bit & eyesight going, but I can't imagine anyone having an easy time reading it!

I am almost looking into giving up vaping. No other industry has this amount of set-backs surely?

My final effort: To put out a search/discussion on the most reliable, durable, good looking mods & with no cap on price (I think most manufacturers are trying to be in the price game, & making too many compromises). For a day of smooth vaping, I'd pay a high premium happily.

I'll check current threads & if nothing there, will start a new one & send a link. Maybe you have alternatives on your radar? Did you put the AF to rest or still struggling with it?

All the best,
    Kev

Coyote628

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
    Sep 16, 2017
    Well, we know the solution...no more Smok products. I had some bad experience with a T priv dying 8 months in and swore I'd never buy another Smok device. I did though, breifly try a pod. Leaked all over creation and that sealed their fate, with me anyway. My VandyVape Gaur is getting to be close to 6 months or more and is going strong.

Kevvy Vapes

Mar 24, 2024
    Well, we know the solution...no more Smok products. I had some bad experience with a T priv dying 8 months in and swore I'd never buy another Smok device. I did though, breifly try a pod. Leaked all over creation and that sealed their fate, with me anyway. My VandyVape Gaur is getting to be close to 6 months or more and is going strong.
    Food for thought Coyote628... Thanks for chipping in, the Gaur looks great at duel 21700 battery life (nice), mind me asking how the display fares? Looks small... & I can never find my specs when I need em'

Kevvy Vapes

Mar 24, 2024
    If you aren't concerned with price maybe get a Dicodes. I don't have one but I've never heard anyone complain about problems with them.

good luck
    well noted englishmick, although £350 may be just a pinch over budget! Mind me asking if your vaping retail coils & if so, what Mod(s) your rocking? Cheers

Reactions: englishmick

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    well noted englishmick, although £350 may be just a pinch over budget! Mind me asking if your vaping retail coils & if so, what Mod(s) your rocking? Cheers
    I have pretty old basic stuff. Mostly Aegis Solo and Pico mods and recently some Z80's. Ancient KFL and Lemo tanks. A few odds and ends like BB's for fun. I make my own coils. Only real problem I've had with that stuff is the screens on Picos sometimes fade and die, but they were dirt cheap and I got a bunch of them.

I had an iStick 40 that lasted 8 years of daily use before the internal battery died. I would be happy just using those but I worried they wouldn't be available at some point.

On Geekvape stuff, mine seem indestructible but I've heard the quality went down at some point.

Z80's might be a good choice for you. They are pretty new though so we don't know yet how long they will last. And they don't do TC if that's your thing.

Reactions: Kevvy Vapes

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Food for thought Coyote628... Thanks for chipping in, the Gaur looks great at duel 21700 battery life (nice), mind me asking how the display fares? Looks small... & I can never find my specs when I need em'

Below is a screen picture from elementvape.

Since the mod's total dimensions are 96.5mm x 58.8mm x 30mm, the flat part of the face dimension is roughly maybe 90x24mm. Maybe from that you can deduce roughly how small the screen is and roughly how small those smaller fonts will be. Those small fonts seem pretty small if you ask me (but normal). But of course, "small" depends on one's vision, so it's subjective.

z2eCX5y.png

Kevvy Vapes

Mar 24, 2024
    Hi all,

Thanks for pitching in & all the recommendations. VV Gaur 21 arrived Friday, with 4x Molicel P45B 21700... Holy smokes, this thing feels solid for a light chassis & packs a punch! I am on day 3: same batteries! I vape like a chimney. My usual 100W setting (for Freemax M2 Tank 'no leaky' version!) / triple Kanthal coil) I have had to drop to 94W. This shows the consistency of power & battery drain compared with the past few mods I have used. This is a pokey, powerful mod & the simple interface is no problem at all.

It is looking very good indeed! A bad run of (IMO) poor quality mods hopefully ended thanks to this forum & your help.

I'll be sure to spread the love & share any good advice where poss.
    I should have specified...I'm using a Guar 18. But all in all it seems pretty solid performer. And I have to wear reading glasses if i want to see anything up close, including my computer monitor at work.
    No bother Coyote628; the 18 and the 21 get solid reviews, I think both are safe options!
    Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread