Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
What would make my juices smell like nail polish removers, these are some nought from highdesertvapes that i had vaped before in smaller bottles, the next two bottles taste awful burning the back of my throat, and the smell is the same as nail polish remover. I questioned them, and basically theynsaid taste is subjective. It is the cantelope flavor, i was able to replicate the first bottle they sent that tasted good. And still had their bottle when the next two came... The first bottle is still good. Any ideas or are they just a bad company

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
The burnt taste is a clue that maybe it's time to change your atty or rebuild your coil. If your using a VB lower your voltage. Also if the juice was just made it may need time to mature. High desert vapes is a very good company so I don't think you would get a juice that has very drastic consistancy.

Last edited:

Jellyfish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Philly Burbs
Many nail polish removers contain acetone and acetone has a sweet smell, if that is what is really in your juice. I would tend to think that it is more likely ethanol since it is used in some flavorings and you are experiencing some harshness. If it is either acetone or ethanol you should probably try to do what you are already trying to do and air them out and see if you can evaporate off the offending component. To accelerate this you can try increasing the surface area of the fluid/air interface. Try pouring the ejuice in a small glass bowl...like a custard dish. You could then float this in some warm water to elevate the temperature and increase the vapor pressure. Just be aware that if you are driving off any of the solvent then you will also be decreasing the volume of your ejuice...and subsequently raising the nic concentration.

Also, I've never had a problem with HDV and they are one of my favorite suppliers. However, mistakes can still happen. Good luck!

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
Good advice, im thinking maybe larger bottles need to steep longer than smaller bottles. So maybe that is some of it.
I order most of my ready mix juice from them and have not had problems before. So by all means i am not trying to insinuate that they are a bad company or anything. My next guess is going to be to dilute with my pg/vg mix for my own diy. I ordered these big bottles while i experiment with my own flavors cuz the smaller size was so good!

The Goo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2013
St. Paul, Minnesota
Raspberry TFA smells EXACTLY like nail polish remover. I think it may be that flavors are stored in big bottles and the flavoring components separate out. Then when they are mixed only one of the flavoring molecules is being used so it ends up tasting disgusting. Steeping didn't help. :(

My TFA Ripe Banana smells/tastes the same. I just made a test batch with it last night and about keeled over when I tried it. Let it air out for a good day and will try it again..eventually.

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
Does it smell like acetone right from the bottle? Were the bottles sealed when you got them? Can someone be playing a nasty trick on you? Are you having an affair and your husband wants to off you:)

Hubby is deployed lol. No affairs but good thought.
Both bottles were sealed and opened at different times.

The smell is straight out of the bottle. Like it smells strong!
I only vaped it once i thought it burnt my throat.
The funny thing is the first bottle i ordered was 10ml and was super yummy. Had it for over three weeks and tasted and smelled good till the last drop. The bogger bottles are disgusting. I even bought some cantelope tfa and made a 10 ml and 20 ml bottle and it smells and tastes awesome at 10%

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Hubby is deployed lol. No affairs but good thought.
Both bottles were sealed and opened at different times.

The smell is straight out of the bottle. Like it smells strong!
I only vaped it once i thought it burnt my throat.
The funny thing is the first bottle i ordered was 10ml and was super yummy. Had it for over three weeks and tasted and smelled good till the last drop. The bogger bottles are disgusting. I even bought some cantelope tfa and made a 10 ml and 20 ml bottle and it smells and tastes awesome at 10%

If your cartos are OK then my only though is they may be super fresh and still need some steeping time and maybe leave the caps off for 24 - 48 hours.

cookiebun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2011
Central Ohio
I bought ready made cantelope from high desert vapes. Have bought a bit many juices from them, this also happened with apricot but i had never tried apricot before and just figured it was nasty lol.

Ive had the lids off for 3 or 4 days. Im gonna try to dilute it.

You are talking about FLAVORINGS correct? Half the time it sounds like you are talking about juice you ordered, not d.i.y. flavorings or juice you mixed yourself. What brand of flavorings are you referring to?

I received an order of 12 bottles of flavorings last week from High Desert Vapes. I've got Flavor West, TFA and Natures Flavors.
None of them smells like nail polish remover but they do smell strong.
:vapor:

cookiebun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2011
Central Ohio
No im talking about high desert vapes cantelope already mixed

Buti dis make itmy self with tfa and it tasted like the first batch i bought from hdv

Could you please clarify your second sentence. "Buti dis make itmy " makes no sense to me. I'm an old fart, I'm not trying to be cranky but I need standard English.
You made some yourself with TFA? Let it steep with the cap off. Shake it a lot too. TFA is known to smell "perfumy"
If you've got some already mixed you bought do the same thing. The stuff you mix yourself isn't going to be just like what you bought unless you can figure out their exact recipe.

cookiebun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2011
Central Ohio
Lol no problem! Im typing on a mini ipad! Lol lots of type o's

But i did make it myself with tfa's cantelope flavor and it tasted like the first batch i bought from high desert vapes

Gotcha! I make tons of typos myself without a mini ipad.
I've gotten the impression over the years that TFA can be a bit more challenging than say, Capella's or Flavour Art to work with for a beginner.
If you really think there's a problem with the flavoring you could try buying directly from them:
Perfumers Apprentice - Cantaloupe Flavor
I really dislike the smell of most of my flavorings when they're undiluted. On some if you use just 1% too much the juice will smell and taste nasty too.

:vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread