Smallest Incremental Changes Regarding Voltage v. Wattage Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesseract

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2013
Miss Gulf Coast
My question is straightforward. For purposes of this question, I'm using an iTaste VV 3.0.

Now then:

• The voltage ranges from 3.3v to 5v, in increments of 1/10thv (+/- 0.1v), so 3.3v, 3.4v, 3.5v and so on, up to 5v. This gives a total of 18 possible settings.
  • The wattage ranges from 6.0w to 11.0w, in increments of 1/2w (+/- 0.5w), so 6.0w, 6.5w, 7.0w and so on, up to 11.0w. This gives a total of 11 possible settings.

The question: Is one able to more precisely attenuate the vape pwr by virtue of voltage having more variables?

This seems to be the case for me. I usu. vape around 8.0 to 8.5w, however lately, I've taken to using volts, ranging from 4.1 up to 4.9v.

After many trials and tinkering it seems I am able to pinpoint the sweet-spot with much more precision using volts. This makes sense in that there are more variable to work with. Still, I want to consult everyone, esp. those of you who know the nuances of Voltage v. Wattage.

Cheerio.

Crytsr1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
Monmouth, il
I'm no expert but from what I've read watt and volts do the same thing just a different measurement. I used an iTaste vv 3.0 for 1.5 months and know where your coming from. I just got an evic last week and it shows watts when in volt mode and volts when in watts mode. At 4.1 volts it reads 6.7 watts, in watt mode it shows 4.09 volts. So YES I believe you can find your sweet spot easier because it has more variables. More should chime in and give you more knowledge I'm sure.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Mods like the Sigelei Zmax are VV/VW. In power (VW) mode the increments are .5 watts. In voltage mode the increments are .1 volt.

3.7V @ 2.0 ohms = 6.84W
3.8V @ 2.0 ohms = 7.22W
3.9V @ 2.0 ohms = 7.60W

6.5W @ 2.0 ohms = 3.60V
7.0W @ 2.0 ohms = 3.74V
7.5W @ 2.0 ohms = 3.87V

Here a .5W increment equals about 0.13V. The .1 voltage step is about .03V smaller than the .5W voltage step. That's not much of a difference. However, if the small difference matters to you then the Sigelei Zmax or most other VW devices allow you to adjust in either power or voltage mode which is known as VV/VW.

.1W stepping allows you to do a lot more hair splitting than .1V and it's available on some mods like the eVic.

6.5W @ 2.0 ohms = 3.60V
6.6W @ 2.0 ohms = 3.63V
6.7W @ 2.0 ohms = 3.66V

.5 watt steps is just fine for me. I always use the power or VW function on the Sigelei.

Last edited:

pianman6954

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2013
United States
This is made less simplified by some mods having affinity for certain voltages and various resistances. I do myself find it easier with the vamo in volts mode to find a happy medium as opposed to watts as 8.5 is seemingly always burnt hits on my aga, works great with my simpler devices like the PT but low ohm wraps not so much.

Ardent

Nov 3, 2013
USA
If you're sensitive to small variances in volts then use volts to control the vape. However, if you're ok with being in the general vicinity of a setting that you like then switching to watts makes it easier because you don't need to know what the resistance of the coil is. Just set it to the desired watts and you're good to go, no matter which atty you use. It's just a matter of preference.

Tesseract

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2013
Miss Gulf Coast
This iTaste VV 3.0 is a fickle beast, but it's currently the only variable voltage/wattage rig I have. It's fickle because as PBusardo showed in his review, it is a bit off in it's dialed-in settings vs. it's actual output. Most often, if falls short of the mark, especially in the higher voltages/wattage's.

Here's thing thing: I tinker with the settings once its heated up sufficiently, and I can definitely tell a difference in the strength of the flavor in a certain range. Optimum wattage seems to be around 8.0w to 9.5w - 4 settings - (depending on the battery, which is a real lemon, but that's another topic!), whereas voltage, the range is much broader (~1.8v to 2.3v), - 6 settings - and allows for fine-tuning to find the "Goldilocks Zone."

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Here is an advantage of VW that I ran into over the weekend. The 1.8 ohm carto I was using was on it's last legs after a week of use. The coil had drifted to 3.2 ohms. If I was using VV I would have noticed that drift in resistance eventually and would have adjusted voltage up in order to maintain the vapor quality. I never noticed a change in vapor quality in VW mode because the Sigelei made the voltage adjustments automatically. I just happened to switch to the resistance test mode and noticed the change.

A change of 1.4 ohms in a coil is pretty rare and this was the first time I've seen it. I have seen coils drift up to .5 ohms a couple of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread