smallest gauge anyone has used

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dislike American gauges, largest gauge is smallest wire, and I almost answered. I use 32, not the smallest diameter wire, but pretty small.

16 would have really low resistance. I'm betting you can easily find people who use 28. Maybe some who use 26. Very few would go larger diameter than that.

zacwillnavy

Jan 21, 2014
Hawaii
If you are building a micro or nano coil you will need to heat that baby up to make it easier to work with, and you'll need a crap load of wraps depending on your target build. dual would probably be out of the question. sounds like single coil mirco coil with 8+ wraps will keep you well within the sub ohm range and i'm not 100% it will slide right into slotted posts (prolly have to wrap around the screw.

Nataani

Moved On
Nov 28, 2013
Chicago, IL
I cannot even imagine that. For my preferred ohm range of 2, I'd need a 100/99 wrap.

I don't think I can count that high reliably.

Well, its not for the standard kind of all day vape build. My preferred all day vape is at 1.8 ohms, I use a 30 gauge single 6/5 wrap on a 1/16th ID for that. The super low builds are for fun or cloud blowing contests, only in the privacy of my own home or at the vape shop.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
What is the smallest gauge kanthal wire anyone has used. Temco has a 16 gauge a1 kanthal for sale. And I'm curious if anyone has used it on their builds or if it's too thick to work.

I use 27 gauge for my RBAs and RDAs on coils from 0.5 to 1.2 ohms. IMO 16 gauge is not practical for vaping. As has been said, it would take too much wire to get the resistance needed and would take forever to heat up.

I have heard of one person using 24 gauge I think and he made that work OK in a mechanical mod. Must have been very low resistance though.

Nataani

Moved On
Nov 28, 2013
Chicago, IL
Excellent video, thanks Nataani. The single wire dual coil is very interesting. I've thought of doing that with my Trident but have not tried it yet. The slotted posts should make it easy.

It is much easier on a trident style RDA than those with holes in the posts. Unfortunately though, its hard to get the air holes big enough on the trident (at least the v2) due to the size of the air flow controller ring.

That said, I do all of my dual coil builds with a single piece of wire. I have experimented with two exact same RDAs, one with a single piece of wire, the other with a regular setup where each coil is built from its own strand. IMO its a big difference. Others have disagreed though.

Even on RDAs with holes in the posts it is not a big deal to do. In the video he employs a technique where he "rolls" the second coil up to the post. I have found that instead of doing that, you can simply take a firm hold on the drill bit, grab the excess lead with pliers and pull hard. The wire will, for lack of a better term, wind itself around the drill bit and pull closer to the posts. With low gauge wire it is a fair bit harder to do, with 20awg I ended up having to use his technique. But with twisted 30awg for example, the wire is flexible enough to wind its way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread