Status
Not open for further replies.

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
My first few syringe tanks had problems. They were a pain to fill, and I was always concerned that they'd slide off the carto.

So here's my latest and greatest.

Instead of making grommets out of syringe plungers, I made caps out of faucet washers. For each of the two caps, two washers. One fits on the inside of the tank, one goes on the outside. Details lower.

Instead of leaving them mobile, I crazy glued them to the tank. No leaking, no losing caps inside the tank. Filling is a breeze -- just pull the carto out a bit, fill, and push it back. Caps don't move out of place.

Cap details:
1. Sharpened the edges of an old burnt carto, and punched it through 4 washers.
2. Made the holes inside them a bit bigger with a dremel and an abrasive cone. Kept sanding them until I was happy with how tight they were on a carto. Now the carto only moves if you twist it -- doesn't slide up and down at all.
3. Stuck a washer onto the same dremel cone, and spun it against a piece of sand paper to make the outer edge. The internal one fits inside the tank, the external one fits just outside the tank. I sanded the external one to be flush with the tank's outside wall.
4. Glue the outside and inside washers together (carefully not to glue them to the carto :) ).
5. Glue the new cap into the tank
6. After glue dried, I ran the same dremel cone carefully on the inside of the cap, to remove any glue that may have squeezed out.

P1NkY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
Planet Earth
I believe rubber faucet washers have been used in this way before, and the problem with them is that the rubber degrades over time when in contact with the ejuice, making it taste bad. If they're silicone washers, then never mind.

Maybe you could try coating the surfaces in that would be in contact with the juice in some food-safe silicone? (Haven't tried it or read about it; just a thought.)

P1NkY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
Planet Earth
Glad to help!

Note: It appears that some faucet washers are made of synthetic materials that do not "dissolve" in ejuice, so it might not apply to your application.

I use syringes a lot for filling my tank and cartos, etc.. and the rubber plungers all start to get "stuck" in the syringe after a while. I pried one out and compared it to a new one and noticed it had become porous and sticky. It also left sticky black residue on my fingers. I now get rid of them as soon as I notice any extra resistance from the plunger.

Take care!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread