Skynews online editor reads comments before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
So i just thought i'd mention how they do things over on the skynews website. You make a comment, the editor reads it, and if it's acceptable will be displayed on the site. They run adverts, so does ecf, so they have revenue, as does ecf. So my question is : Instead of patronizing members about rules and regulations, which is pretty intimidating, why can't this place be regulated in the same way ?. Just to reiterate ecf does have a revenue stream so it could have employees that could screen comments before they can be posted. I sometimes post comments on the skynews website just so the skynews editor can read them and not so they can be posted on the site. I've never been banned or "told off" for what i've written in the past on the skynews website. I may recieve comments from those that read this thread such as "this isn't skynews is it" or "the moderators on this site give up there free time to police it for no fee and you should be greatful ". That's there choice isn't it. But really, why is there no one getting paid to do this work properly ?. If there is no money going back into the running of the site, i just have to say, "the owner of this site is creaming it, isn't he ?. Wish i could get people to work for me for free, i'd have a fortune !. So if you moderate this site, and you're doing it for free, in addition to any other reason why you're doing it, you're being swindled !!. That's the reality of it. So people pay to become verified, which i'm not i know that. And i know i have no right to say it. But, where is all the money going ?. Because it certainly isn't being paid in wages is it !!?. But someone is making a whole load of money aren't they !!?. Finally i would just like to add that my observation is valid, please don't attack me for the status quo which i've highlighted via this post.:unsure:

I'm not trying to start anything, flaming, trolling etc. Just an observation. Feel free to ignore this post. Please don't think i'm trying trying to start a fight because i'm not.

Please don't ban me !.:unsure:

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
So i just thought i'd mention how they do things over on the skynews website. You make a comment, the editor reads it, and if it's acceptable will be displayed on the site. They run adverts, so does ecf, so they have revenue, as does ecf. So my question is : Instead of patronizing members about rules and regulations, which is pretty intimidating, why can't this place be regulated in the same way ?. Just to reiterate ecf does have a revenue stream so it could have employees that could screen comments before they can be posted. I sometimes post comments on the skynews website just so the skynews editor can read them and not so they can be posted on the site. I've never been banned or "told off" for what i've written in the past on the skynews website. I may recieve comments from those that read this thread such as "this isn't skynews is it" or "the moderators on this site give up there free time to police it for no fee and you should be greatful ". That's there choice isn't it. But really, why is there no one getting paid to do this work properly ?. If there is no money going back into the running of the site, i just have to say, "the owner of this site is creaming it, isn't he ?. Wish i could get people to work for me for free, i'd have a fortune !. So if you moderate this site, and you're doing it for free, in addition to any other reason why you're doing it, you're being swindled !!. That's the reality of it. So people pay to become verified, which i'm not i know that. And i know i have no right to say it. But, where is all the money going ?. Because it certainly isn't being paid in wages is it !!?. But someone is making a whole load of money aren't they !!?. Finally i would just like to add that my observation is valid, please don't attack me for the status quo which i've highlighted via this post.:unsure:

I'm not trying to start anything, flaming, trolling etc. Just an observation. Feel free to ignore this post. Please don't think i'm trying trying to start a fight because i'm not.

Please don't ban me !.:unsure:

Thanks for sharing....
Keep coming back!!!

Cheers
I

Lurch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2014
Central Florida
I believe that the Administrator and the Moderators who volunteer to assist him/her are doing us a great favor. They put this site together, keep it running and provide assistance when needed. Because of their efforts we have the opportunity to discuss issues/matters involving a topic that we are very interested in (otherwise, we wouldn't be here). It is incumbent on us to behave in accordance with the rules and terms of use that they have established. There is no required fee to use this site so I am not sure I understand your comment that "the owner of this site is creaming it.."

Fortunately, I have seen very few posts which were totally inappropriate, which speaks to the level of maturity of the users of this site. I am certain that there are posts that cross the line (and have seen a few posts that have been deleted) which require their attention. If it were me, I would probably use the three strikes rule; cross the line three times and you are out. But, I spent a 40 year career moderating the behavior of others!

Again, I am very appreciative of the effort they put forth to keep this site up an running. Without it I probably would have gone back to smoking but the information I have been able to obtain from the folks here showed me ways to make vaping more effective and efficient for me.

Asking them to proof each post prior to posting is asking too much. To be blunt, if you are unhappy with the way site is operated, start your own (I am not trying to be confrontational with that comment, just truthful).

[soap box mode off]

P.S. I do not see any required fee for becoming a "verified member." You can choose to contribute, if you desire, but again, I do not see any requirement for donations.

Last edited:

DreamWithin

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
New England
So people pay to become verified, which i'm not i know that. And i know i have no right to say it. But, where is all the money going ?. Because it certainly isn't being paid in wages is it !!?. But someone is making a whole load of money aren't they !!?.

I'd like to address this point to say that no one pays to become "verified". The vouching method does involve $1 changing hands, but as is mentioned in the post about how to become verified that just covers the incidental expenses incurred by the process. It's not a commonly used process, either, most people are able to use the other methods of verification which involve no money changing hands

What money does come into this site via Supporting Member subscriptions and ad revenue goes back into maintaining the site (paying for the servers, coder work, etc), nobody is making big bucks from this forum and there is certainly no way it could support paid staff ;-)

ECF is intended to be a resource for the vaping community, not a big business entity. We volunteer our time to support it because we believe in this site and it's purpose :)

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
This is an interesting concept: have people check each post first.

The trouble is that there is no comparison between Sky forum and this - we have more than one post a second at busy times. Not sure how many people that would need in order to keep up with the flow but it's probably around 20, to allow for tea breaks and the like. That would be around 20 x $XX,000 a year, which is about 15 times more than the forum makes...

The reason for the way things are done is that it works. Some rules or restrictions might look strange, but when you consider that every ecig spammer in the world (that's about 5,000 of them) and half of all the other spammers are desperate to get on here and spam away; thousands of hackers; hundreds of people who won't take their meds; and thousands of people who think rules do not apply to them, just to other people: all want to get on here any way they can, by hook or by crook, and blast away. Then we have our lovely members who have a bad day once in a while and take it out on the rest of the world (through ECF); and the occasional staff member who finds themself in Butte City on a Sunday night, with everything closed, and nothing but a bottle of Jack Daniels and our admin system to play with.

ECF is under constant pressure, from within and without, and things work the way they do because it's taken us 7 years to fine-tune it like it is. There's generally a good reason for stuff around here.

Alternatively we could maybe come up with a computerised 'Moderator' to check every post first. This is doable. The results would be pretty crazy for the first 10 years of training it, but no worse than other stuff round here I guess :) We kinda like the crazy we got already, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread