Silica wick shards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichieRich13

Aug 7, 2012
Toronto
Hello Vets!

I have been vaping for about three weeks now and have been using ECF as my go-to for all questions vape related. Recently I stumbled across a thread saying that the silica in wicks produce tiny shards that are harmful to your respiratory system and can lead to a number of health problems. This blew my mind because when I was researching the use of e-cigs, I had come across nothing but good things regarding the hazards of vaping. Now I'm scared crapless that I am inhaling tiny non-dissolvable slivers of silica everytime I vape (which is a lot!).

Can any of you tell me if it's true? Are we inhaling silica shards everytime we vape? Are there any studies on this topic?

I am looking to buy a rebuildable atty/tank (such as the penelope or oddyseus) eventually, and get into using SS mesh as a wick, but i do like to use cartos and I drip when I'm at home - both of which use silica based wicks(maybe not the cartos i dunno). I would really hate to have to be restricted to using my own home-made SS mesh wick systems because of this understated danger.

Thank you for your time vets!

Xaiver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Clearwater, MN
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/284030-wick-materials-safe-vs-dangerous-5.html

There's a giant thread about this, actually. Most of which I haven't had a chance to read, since it's 230+ pages long. I can't really say one way or another if it's true or not with any certainty though.

From what I understand, cotton and bamboo yarn are the ones that the concensus seems to think is safer.

From my experience: I was a carto guy until I got my hands on Penelope. I did notice that my throat got a bit scratchy once a carto was about 4-7 days old, and then I would change it and it would go away until the next one got to that point. I now use a rebuildable tank with silica wick, and don't have that issue until at least a week has passed.

From my reading about wick, SS mesh is difficult to use on a GG rebuildable. The little cup that the wick/coil sits in isn't very big, and the SS tends to create shorts. I've never used SS mesh, so this is just from what I've read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread