Should we be drinking more coffee when quitting fags ?? MAOI'S

Status
Not open for further replies.

el lobo furtivo

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2009
Akron, OH
Monoamine oxidase (MAO) is a mitochondrial outer-membrane flavoenzyme involved in brain and peripheral oxidative catabolism of neurotransmitters and xenobiotic amines, including neurotoxic amines, and a well-known target for antidepressant and neuroprotective drugs. Recent epidemiological studies have consistently shown that coffee drinkers have an apparently lower incidence of Parkinson's disease (PD), suggesting that coffee might somehow act as a purported neuroprotectant. In this paper, "ready to drink" coffee brews exhibited inhibitory properties on recombinant human MAO A and B isozymes catalyzing the oxidative deamination of kynuramine, suggesting that coffee contains compounds acting as MAO inhibitors. MAO inhibition was reversible and competitive for MAO A and MAO B. Subsequently, the pyrido-indole (beta-carboline) alkaloids, norharman and harman, were identified and isolated from MAO-inhibiting coffee, and were good inhibitors on MAO A (harman and norharman) and MAO B (norharman) isozymes. beta-carbolines isolated from ready-to-drink coffee were competitive and reversible inhibitors and appeared up to 210 mug/L, confirming that coffee is the most important exogenous source of these alkaloids in addition to cigarette smoking. Inhibition of MAO enzymes by coffee and the presence of MAO inhibitors that are also neuroactive, such as beta-carbolines and eventually others, might play a role in the neuroactive actions including a purported neuroprotection associated with coffee consumption.

The part of me that enjoyed Psychopharmacology class just drooled a little.....

jfalbanese

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Westport, WA
from 3 pots to 2-3 cups a day. caffeine is a huge trigger at least for me. with more water intake i don't miss coffee that much. trying to lower all stimulant use. might as well tone down all my vices while i am dealing with the worst of them. caffeine and sugar are big ones. back on starvation mode, and walking. losing weight slowly. don't want to get a gut. another thing about reduced coffee intake i find i am not looking for it for the energy boost. definitely energy levels are up. with reduced stimulants i find my energy levels are better than ever.

astounded

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
vancouver bc
Hi,

If you start reading through the posts (note the word "start"!!!) it would appear that there is a definite subset of smokers who cut down but do not immediately quit smoking when starting ecigs. The reference information, as well as people's personal experiences, also suggest that despite replacing the nicotine by vaping some people may experience symptoms that could be anywhere from brief and mild to more severe.

To me it seems reasonable that some of these symptoms may simply be due to the detoxification of the body, however it certainly seems equally possible that some symptoms occur because of withdrawal from other substances in tobacco to which a particular individual has become addicted.

I agree MAO inhibiters are certainly the first known active substance in tobacco that spring to mind as possibly affecting some of these individuals. It also seems worth noting that apparently researchers found that it in the absence of the MAO inhibitors present in tobacco, nicotine is merely a mildly/moderately addictive substance.

This to me seems interesting and possibly an explanation of the phenomenon where former smokers spontaneously cut down on the nicotine they vape once they have got over the smoking habit. This is something that seems very different than tobacco consumption, where the strong tendency seems to be for a smoker to smoke a higher amount per day over time.

I think nobody is going to be able to determine what their personal situation will be until they actually try it. If there are extremely problematic symptoms going below a certain number of cigarettes no matter how much nicotine is vaped, then I think it does make sense to consider whether there may be an MAO inhibitor connection. I was not aware that coffee had MAO inhibitor activity, so thank you for sharing that.

I personally would not choose to use coffee at the present moment, simply because at times I am vaping very high nicotine and would be concerned about so much stimulant activity. Also, as I have posted elsewhere, i went on a low dose of St. Johns Wort and added natural substances in case i was experiencing a MAO inhibitor effect - so for me adding coffee might be too much of a good thing! (And I found the supplements did help).

There may be others who would find the coffee information useful ... I would just caution combining higher coffee with the higher nicotine some people are using to get over the cravings, as I think you might otherwise end up feeling pretty sick. (Spoken as someone who has inadvertently done that once during exams!)

The above is of course merely impressions I have formed, for whatever they may be worth ... I have no expertise in this area!

Last edited:

HK-47

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2013
Arizona
Seems like it could be a potentially interesting link, but when I read through some of the common side effects of vaping, it became clear that you need to up your water intake at the very least.

Trust your body, I say. If you have a few cups (or eight) of Joe and vape and even smoke a few analogs here and there and don't feel rapid heartbeats or nausea or headaches or really off in some other fashion....I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

It is wise, however, to watch how much nicotine you are absorbing as was mentioned, vaping is pleasant overall and doesn't seem to have the negative (and immediate) effects of consuming too much.

For the first bit of time as I'm coming back and delving further into vaping...I plan on keeping a VERY close eye on how I'm feeling, pulse rate, breathing, etc. The success stories I've read here so far are very inspiring, and I'm enjoying it, but I'm also aware there are some risks involved.

chalton36

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2012
uk Lincolnshire
astounded:8922226 said:
Hi,

If you start reading through the posts (note the word "start"!!!) it would appear that there is a definite subset of smokers who cut down but do not immediately quit smoking when starting ecigs. The reference information, as well as people's personal experiences, also suggest that despite replacing the nicotine by vaping some people may experience symptoms that could be anywhere from brief and mild to more severe.

To me it seems reasonable that some of these symptoms may simply be due to the detoxification of the body, however it certainly seems equally possible that some symptoms occur because of withdrawal from other substances in tobacco to which a particular individual has become addicted.

I agree MAO inhibiters are certainly the first known active substance in tobacco that spring to mind as possibly affecting some of these individuals. It also seems worth noting that apparently researchers found that it in the absence of the MAO inhibitors present in tobacco, nicotine is merely a mildly/moderately addictive substance.

This to me seems interesting and possibly an explanation of the phenomenon where former smokers spontaneously cut down on the nicotine they vape once they have got over the smoking habit. This is something that seems very different than tobacco consumption, where the strong tendency seems to be for a smoker to smoke a higher amount per day over time.

I think nobody is going to be able to determine what their personal situation will be until they actually try it. If there are extremely problematic symptoms going below a certain number of cigarettes no matter how much nicotine is vaped, then I think it does make sense to consider whether there may be an MAO inhibitor connection. I was not aware that coffee had MAO inhibitor activity, so thank you for sharing that.

I personally would not choose to use coffee at the present moment, simply because at times I am vaping very high nicotine and would be concerned about so much stimulant activity. Also, as I have posted elsewhere, i went on a low dose of St. Johns Wort and added natural substances in case i was experiencing a MAO inhibitor effect - so for me adding coffee might be too much of a good thing! (And I found the supplements did help).

There may be others who would find the coffee information useful ... I would just caution combining higher coffee with the higher nicotine some people are using to get over the cravings, as I think you might otherwise end up feeling pretty sick. (Spoken as someone who has inadvertently done that once during exams!)

The above is of course merely impressions I have formed, for whatever they may be worth ... I have no expertise in this area!

Love this reply and its so right!!!! And watch the extra coffee intake I agree but decaf ? Should be fine... also maoi's help nicotine to relax you not stimulate which is a good thing :))))

Eddie.Willers

ECF Wiki SysOp
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
Prairie Canada
<Beavis & Butthead>

"Uh,huh-huh...huh-huh...He said, 'fags'..huh-huh,uh-huh"

</B&B>

Obligatory seriousness.
Personally, I think that it behooves us all to monitor the stimulants we use - be they nicotine, caffeine, even alcohol (not technically a stimulant) - as moderation in all these things is the only sensible way to go.

That said, the 'moderate' level for all of us is different (YMMV, etc). I find that I only drink one pot of coffee in the morning and that's it, apart from tea when I get in from work. My vaping also seems to be on the decrease as well, after 2 years of 24mg use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread