Should I use a separate carto for each flavor? What is this burning feeling in the back of my throat

Status
Not open for further replies.

motherman

May 4, 2012
mars
Just for future reference for any other guys new and having a problem.. Some way.. some how I think the center hole got compromised... I'm topping off correctly with the tilt waiting being sure not too flood, and i notice it dry out hence burning my throat insanely quick with no flavor (point of this thread) I just noticed its actually leaking out the bottom .. so i went back and was extra meticulous to ensure nothing goes down the middle hole.. still some sort of strange drainage... so while i think my carto is filled with flavored goodness, its actually drained out and completely dry... so i think im killing it in one or two hits when its actually leaking out the bottom... so either my carto is defective.. which is a possibility or I did something wrong at some point to compromise the paper/hole in the middle.. or the gooey high vg juice gunked up and messed up the hole... i had to throw out the carto it was vapable..
When I fill a carto, I hold it at a 45 degree angle (slanted, not straight up and down) and drip while rotating it. This allows the juice time to saturate down before I get back to put a drop down in the same spot. Not using this method makes it easy to think the carto is full because it is pooling at the top of the filler material even though it is not full, or to drip it straight down the hole without saturating the filler.

If the juice is leaking out of the middle hole, you are either 1) overfilling it by alot or 2) dripping it down the hole rather than into the filler material.

Some really sugary flavors kill a carto quickly. I had a small bottle of cotton candy that I let sit in my storage for a few months with others I'd bought at the same time...the CC turned dark brown and thick-like it carmelized or something-while the rest remained the same as they were. It has to be something in some of these flavorings that changes in composition with heat maybe? I dunno, but many people report that the sugary flavors are killers.

Also, the higher the VG content, the faster they can clog and quit on you.

I don't see how you could kill a carto by condom filling it, but I'm certainly not an expert. Regarding flavors-you can mix whatever you want. But you won't know the true flavor of a juice unless you use a clean carto or drip.
Cartos CAN be cleaned. I blow them out, then boil water in a pan and remove it from heat and soak cartos for about 10 minutes, then rinse them, blow as much water out as I can, and let dry overnight. If you are using the same juice in them, this method works great. If you want to use a different juice in them, sometimes there will still be a lingering taste of whatever was in them before. Some flavors are worse than others-my mint juices rinse totally clean and you can't taste any afterwards-but vanilla just will NOT no matter what.

Not sure what is burning your throat. The only time I've ever heard of that is from allergic type reactions. A friend of mine can't vape anything with cinnamon in it, and it is in some juices that you wouldn't think it would be. Rarely people are allergic or sensitive to the base and have to try varying the PG/VG contents until they get a mix that doesn't bother them.

McAldo

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2012
London
If it's leaking at the bottom, you probably burned inadvertently the air conduit, so the juice is basically leakign from the filler into the air tube, and then from the bottom.
This can happen when firing a carto which is not well soaked yet, I did that with my first carto tank :)

If that's the case, there is not mcuh you can do but discarding it.

A thing you could try for filling is the taryn-spin (plenty of videos online about it).
Basically, you spin the carto so centrifugal force will push the liquid in. Try it with pretty thick liquids.
Leaving it soaking over night is in any case a good idea, taste will be better.

Putting the carto in a tank will also keep it always wet, so it will last much longer (and you won't need toppign it up often)
With a very think liquid it;s probalby a good idea to punch a few holes and definetely it needs to rest overnight before first use.

Last edited:

lauragal

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2008
New York
Hi Motherman - this is my first post but have been reading the forums for a week or so. Just wanted to say that for the first time the same exact thing happened to me last night. It wasn't a burnt taste, just an actually burning feeling on my throat (and it wasn't a good throat hit). I chalked it up to the manufacturer, as I'm new to vaping and have already tried a half dozen or so companies without this feeling ever happening. I have to check and see what the pg/vg ratio is, but like all the others I have tested, they were 18 mg used on the same atty (I was dripping just to try the flavors).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread