Should I initiate a news story about e-smoking?

Should I initiate news coverage of e-smoking culture?

• Yes! We have to share the good news with as many as possible!

• No! Too much attention could lead to government taxation, regulation or prohibition!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schroedinger's cat

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2008
North Carolina, USA
I don't know how much this forum is representative of e-smokers in general, but the large majority of the people here seem to have cut down considerably on smoking, or even quit, while on the e-cigarette. Some had previously failed other NRT therapies. Some of us are pretty new to this, but others have been around for months and stayed with it. The trials on "approved" NRT show that the rate of "success", especially after a few months, is pretty low.

It would be nice if we could have systematic statistics of the users here (not in the form of a thread), as it could provide some documentation in favor of e-smoking, although definitely not the kind of evidence regulators would want. But, if all the forum participants filled out a short questionnaire every two months or so, that may be very useful, even if it is just for the forum users. There could be a few questions about previous smoking, current smoking, time with the e-cig, nic level, etc.

There is the issue that perhaps some of us are getting more nicotine than when they smoked real cigarettes, which is a con (for the WHO, FDA, and all the helath police), but for many others, a little nic goes a long way, and for the nic-indulgents, this is still probably better than smoking (and would be even more so if the liquids were more regulated).

A story with some data of this kind would be more informative, but I guess you cannot have that. But -given tat the FDA is on it- perhaps you should go ahead.

Dale

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2008
Mt. Baldy, CA USA
Dale: If it's news, air it. News must ignore consequences. It must. I spent my entire career in news and it would have been hell if I'd had to consider the consequences of everything I wrote. Is it new? Is it true? It is worthy of reader attention? That's all you need to consider.

In fact, a story I wrote ran in the October issue of Smokeshop. This is an industry/trade magazine read by tobacco retailers, Big tobacco and tobacco growers. Unfortunately, the story cannot be read online, but you can see it in ShokeShop's table of contents: SMOKESHOP 10/08 - Table of Contents

It is a VERY long read, about 20 minutes, covering four pages of the magazine. I interviewed virtually everyone who has anything to do with e-smoking research, including our Dr. Loi and Dr. Laugesen, plus Dr. Brad Radu. It's a positive article, for the most part, leaving open questions of health and legality.

When the BBC does it, when trade magazines have featured it, when numerous local TV stations have demo'ed it on the 5 o'clock news, you should certainly let your news judgment be your guide.

News doesn't poll, by the way. You probably know that. Popularity of opinion isn't a concern. Newsworthiness, accuracy, fairness alone are issues. You should suggest your station do the e-smoking news story and offer it to NPR nationwide.

I was a newspaper reporter in the 80s, right out of college, but while we are a news/talk station, today I am not on the editorial staff... I'm a studio engineer (a button monkey)... so while I understand and completely agree with your interpretation of journalistic standards and considerations, I don't feel particularly bound by them.

I could pitch the story to any one of several reporters and/or editors here who would do it justice. I could skew my pitch so that it was covered as a quit smoking story, a new technology/gadget story, an underground economy story, a medical and legal implications story, even a light feature about clever ways to get around smoking bans in bars.

That said, I do not want to be known as the guy who killed e-smoking. I once did a story on a college film class that was making a horror flick for a class project and they got shut down... I lost some friends over that.

I am going to have to think about this...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread