Seriously considering an REO Questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HgA1C

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2009
Michigan
1. What is the consensus for flavor in a Stainless rebuildable 19mm or smaller atomizers? RM4 or cyclone maybe????
2. Obviously need 2-4 batteries are the VTC5's recommended or is something else better for the REO?
3. Looking at the Nitecore D4 anything better for a charger?
4. Do you like the ReadyxWick? (Trying to keep maintenance time to a minimum)
5. What misc stuff would I need as well?
6. Is the REO really worth it? (Real DNA 30's run about same price with battery and built-in charger included vs no battery, charger, and accessories)

(Ramblings)
Ok, I just started back to vaping around the beginning of the month. I had tried it briefly back in 2008 and it just was not up to the challenge. I bought a Radix (real DNA 30 mod) at the beginning of the month and some Kayfun lite clones along with a Tobh clone (store gave $60 in free juice for large purchase). So far my smoking is down to about a pack or two a week from around a 1-2 PAD (MYO) habit. I think my wife is on board to switch over as well. She gave me the blessing to go ahead and get an REO and she would use the Radix. This will keep our Mod costs down, and prevent us from buying and replacing sub-par equipment (Money is tight, student with kids , but hey we make it work). Best case I don't like it and sell it on the classifieds. Worst case, we both love it and end up with a large family of bottom feeders (4-6 Reo's & 2-4 Redsky's):unsure: You know just being realistic of the next several years time, and how REOnauts are.:facepalm:

Anyway, I have a USA ohm tester on the way as I was using the DNA board to check my builds. I have a full tool-kit for rebuilding atomizers. Going to go to DIY juice to pinch even more pennies (through Organic 2 chem). So basically my monthly costs are going to be measured in dollars once everything is said and done, was spending $80-$100 a month on analogs. Overall, I am trying to be frugal by buying only what we will use, and not waste money e.g. buying quality kit. So, please fire away with some answers/advice.

Last edited:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
If you are frugal and want a vape where everything is on board, and a mod you never have to replace (you can buy a rebuild kit if anything wears out, and it's very simple to do), then REO way to go......if you DIY then I can't see you spending much $$ at all after initial purchase.

For charger, I am partial to 1) PILA and 2) Xtar. My PILA charges perfectly and has been going strong for 2.5 years. But only 2 bays. I just do not like "slidey spring loaded" chargers........PILA is "drop in" and I just like that better. Seems like there would be less wear and tear with not having to slide a mechanism every time you want to put a batt into charger? PILA also has a drop down cover, I live in country in dusty environment and I like to close the cover on it. You will never regret a PILA charger, of that I can assure you.

Nitecore chargers, the sliders are a little sticky IMHO. Not a fan of the nitecore, although some are, just that it seems when a charger goes belly up I've read more incidents with them than others.

VTC5s are not cheap, if they are authentic, and that is getting harder to ascertain so I would avoid them. I use AWs but that is all I"ve ever used because REOs were orig built around that battery. I have never known anyone to be disappointed with a genuine AW battery from Randy at RTD vapor. REOs like button tops.

I'll let somebody else answer other Qs.

Last edited:

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth
1. What is the consensus for flavor in a Stainless rebuildable 19mm or smaller atomizers? RM4 or cyclone maybe????

The general consensus is that the smaller the chamber, the better the flavor. I like the RM4 alot for dual coil lung hits, decent flavor to boot. I get the best flavor from a single coil RM2. Highly recommend the RM2 as a baseline, especially if you are new.

2. Obviously need 2-4 batteries are the VTC5's recommended or is something else better for the REO?

VTC5s are excellent batteries, but they are not currently being produced. Avoid searching for them, as there are fakes now. Two really great batteries to use are the LG18650HE2 and the Samsung 1865025R. Highly recommended!

Yes. I would strongly recommend you buy an Xtar over the Nitecore. I use this. I haven't had personal experience with the Nitecore, but I have been around long enough to have come to the conclusion that the Nitecores can fail you/screw up your batteries. I've read countless threads and posts of failed Nitecores in e-cig forums and recently I've had the same sort of feedback in flashlight forums confirm the trend, never a failed Xtar story. Sure, there are many who have Nitecores that work fine, but that's beside the point that they are clearly an exception to a commonly reported problem.

I don't have experience with it, but there are quite a few Reonauts that love it and will help you out on this one.

A spare spring is a must. The Reo's spring will collapse (like a fuse) in the event of a short to protect you. If and when that happens, your going to want that spare spring handy, or you'll be stuck waiting for the mail. A button cover is nice, personally I can't imagine using a Reo without one, but many do.

6. Is the REO really worth it? (Real DNA 30's run about same price with battery and built-in charger included vs no battery, charger, and accessories)

Just about this time last year I received my very first Reo. I've been vaping nothing but Reos ever since then. Not a single problem. There is nothing on the market so all inclusive, bullet proof, and dependable. Grab your Reo and you have everything you need. The Reo is definitely what one can consider an "end game" in vaping.

If I wasn't bored, and had money burning holes in my pocket, absolutely 100% beyond a doubt owning ONE single Reo Grand is all I would ever need. It is a very fine investment and worth every last penny.

Cheers

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia

funk dracula covered it well, but the rm2 is brass i think with stainless posts etc

i use vtc4

and definitely by backups [springs etc], my #3 mini is out of action ATM owing to a $4 spring that will cost more to ship than it will to buy

K31Scout

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2014
Northern MI USA

I have the RM2 and RM4; the RM2 gives me much better flavor but the RM4 is a work in progress with coil builds and wicking. The RM3 is highly regarded.
I use a Nitecore i4 and it works as advertised.
I DIY and have 6 bottles of different juices in rotation and I'd like a few more. I have 2 spare springs as well.
Like Funk said, they are bullet proof and simple (no circuit boards or wires), you can wash them under running water. I've had my Reo Grand about 10 days and think it's a great value. If it breaks I can send it back to Rob for an overhaul. My other mods would have to go in the trash.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
6. Is the REO really worth it?

Things have changed an awful lot since 2008, glad you've come back to vaping :)

1- As far as flavor in a small atty, the RM2 is the tops although not SS. The Cyclone is right up there running a close second. There's also the Divo if you can find one. Check out Chowderheads thread for more options.

2- I'm using VTC5s and having issues with carbonization on the top contact (vaping at .4 ohms). Using noalox helps but even then I'm starting to get intermittent firing issues with the Sonys. My next battery buy will be AW 1600 mah 18650s which is what Rob recommends.

3- I used a Nitecore I4 for about a year, it was a good charger but the sliders are sticky, got to be a PITA and ordered the Luc V4 charger and am loving it. The Pila is the Cadillac of chargers and you can't go wrong there.

4- I don't like RXW, I'm using KGD and won't go back to anything else, YMMV.

5- Good recommendations so far, my list would be a rebuild kit with an extra spring, a few extra magnets for the door, some spare bottles and a button cover or 2.

6- A resounding YES! The REO provides the best vaping experience I have had. That's why REOnauts are so passionate and usually end up with a fleet of REOs. Game changer is a term that, IMO, gets used too loosely but REO definitely deserves the title.

With my REOs, rebuildables and DIYing juice my costs are measured in pennies per month at, this point, or at least they were before discovering Nicoticket juice. I can't get enough of that stuff now :)

Welcome and fire away with any other questions you may have.

olefolks

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
Lewisville, TX, USA
Everyone has given you great advice. I just want to add a couple of suggestions. First, go to Michaels or Hobby Lobby and pick up a Artistic Wire Gizmo. This will take care of all of your coil builds. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/clearomizers/510520-coils-made-easy.html. Second, I recommend you try RXW wick. Some like it others don't. I personally love it. Once you build your coil with RXW you have a coil/wick that will last for a very long time subject to occasional cleaning. And, lastly, once you are set up with your Reo, good juice, good coil, etc. then you will not be buying analogs any longer. Also, you will be selling your DNA and your wife will be using a Reo also.

slappy3139

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2013
New Iberia, LA, USA
'Looks over at unused provaris and ZNA30' Yeah, since I got my 2nd LP Grand, the reos are all that leaves the house with me. I get a superior vape from my bf attys than from anything I have used before without the hassle of dripping, fiddling with kayfuns or gennys, or carrying extraneous gear in case I need to drain a tank, fix a coil or rewick. What's not to love? IMO nothing else comes close, it's simplicity at its best. I also recommend the rm2, my favorite atty for flavor for MTL vaping.

SoftSell

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2014
Saskatoon, SK
Oh how exciting.
Everyone so far is correct. For flavour I'm using a Cyclone with an enlarged airhole for direct lung hits, it's the cats pajamas. Also have the Odin on the way for a little cloud factory.
Only thing I really can suggest that hasn't been mention, is order EXTRA springs.
I use both AW 1600s and Sony Vtcs, both work fine, one Vtc4/5 will last all day I find. I'm using the Efest LUC charger, which I really enjoy for the digital display showing battery volts and charging bar.
I only got my first Reo LP the first week of July, and it blew me away. This mod is excellent. I've sold off everything else (except my first two mods, you know, memories) and quickly bought a 2nd Reo. More than likely your "worst case scenario" will be the case.

BockinBboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Illinois

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
Just do it. If in doubt read through the posts here and you'll find for every 100 people that order...

97 make a post right after getting that says "OMG, why did I wait so long"
2 take a week or two to get it dialed in and post then post "wow"
1 decides it's not for them and sells it for almost what they put into it, in a day.

Last edited:

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither

For the Reo's, so far I have 4 RM2's, a VA Cyclone, IGO-S, an ERA clone, and both an Atomic and Infinite CLT that I don't use.
The smaller atty's with single coils are all flavor magnets, and that matters to me as vaping is all about flavor in a rich vapor to me. I 'lean' to the VA Cyclone, but can't honesty say it produces a better vape than any of the other compact atty's.

AW IMR from RTD is the only batt choice in my world.

When I moved up from the 808's to 18XXX batteries 15-16 month's ago I started with an Efest LUC Smart Charger... it's still my #1. Also have a XTAR WP2 II for backup now. Even my first bought AW batts are still taking a full charge all these months later. Some of that is because I now have 36 batts in rotation.

I don't use RxW. After the early days of silica i went to cotton, then mesh, then back to cotton. After trying all the hyped cottons my #1 cotton is KGD.

As mentioned a back up spring or two, maybe a rebuild kit, drip well o-rings, spare bottle cap o-rings, spare bottle or two...

I'm pretty new to Reo's, but have 7 of them already. I actually ordered #2 within hours of receiving #1, the rest very soon after. All together I have 3 dozen mostly high end PV's, including some VV/VW mods. But only the 7 Reo's and 10 GP PAPS are still in use at all, with the Reo's used more than the PAPS. There is good reason why they are all that are still on-line here... IMO they are the best of both worlds in mech's.

As for DIY, KISS. I over built and supplied my DIY lab when I first started doing it last summer, and still have lots of flavors and gear that has never been used and probably never will be. Learning each flavor first before trying to blend flavors is well worth the time and effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread