Serious Dehydration Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcour

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2012
SC
I'm having serious dehydration problems. Here's the deal: I've been off the analogs and vaping for about 14 weeks now. Until last week, I had been using a Volt X2 650mah auto-battery. I take a medication which dehydrates as a side-effect and I'd had some minor dehydration issues vaping with the Volt, but drinking a reasonable amount of water took care of that.

Last week I got a Provari Mini, which I love, but after a couple of days I started having major dehydration issues. As anyone who's used VV probably knows, these things produce massive vapor, considerably more than my Volt X2 ever did. I assume this increase in vapor, along with the side-effects of my medication, has caused this dehydration problem. I'm drinking a lot of water, so please don't suggest simply increasing hydration. If I drink any more water I might as well just move into the bathroom. Also, I can't drink Gatorade, that stuff is loaded with sugar, so that's not a solution either.

A couple of questions:
Is it true or not that 100% VG is less dehydrating that a PG/VG mix?
Is a cooler vape any less dehydrating than a warmer vape?

I'm going to try several things and see if they help: Usually I vape about once an hour for about 10 minutes, I've cut that back to once every two hours for about 7 minutes. Also, I normally take a draw of about 4-5 seconds, I've shortened that to about 2-3 secs. I still get nice vapor, TH, and flavor, so it's still a good vape. This is also similar to the vape of my X2 as far as vapor production, but I still get that nice flavor with my VV.

Obviously, if I have to, I'll go back to my X2, but once you've experienced the better flavor that is possible with VV it's hard to go back to fixed voltage. But I have to be able to vape, there's no question about that. Because if I don't I'll most certainly start smoking again, which is the last thing I want.

I realize there's probably only so much one can do about dehydration, but any thoughts or advice, any ideas I haven't come up with, would be greatly appreciated. This dehydration is harshing my vape, dude! That just ain't cool!

Thanks.

kazimir

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2012
DC
If you don't consume much salt, an increase can help.

Edit:
Pulled from yahoo answers.
"Salt helps you to retain water. This is why there is sodium in sports drinks and why people in hot/dry areas need salt. Salt is very important to us but if the salt content is too high then it is bad for us. It won't actually dehydrate us but it will require us to drink more water because it actually dries us out.

Dehydration is really the removal of extra water from our bodies. Caffeine and alcohol do this. They take more water to process then the drinks provide so it takes extra water from our bodies to process then excretes all of the water used to process them. So we now have less water in our bodies then before we drank alcohol or caffeine. Even though salt does dry us out and helps us retain water it does not actually remove water from our bodies like caffeine and alcohol does."

Last edited:

kazimir

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2012
DC
Also to note, there is a general rule of thumb. For every 8 glasses of water you drink, drink at least 1 glass of juice, gatorade, ... For every 8 glasses of juice, gatorade, ... you drink, drink at least 1 glass of water. Too much of either can cause you to become dehydrated, sick, and even lethal is some cases.

Basically, my understanding is too much water and your body flushes it all. Too much everything else, and your body will need an extreme flush to achieve balance.

Note:
I am not a doctor, but I have heard this from several sport physicians and doctors, and well as some army rangers and seals. All made the point while playing sports in excessive 100+ degree heat, but I would assume the concept holds true in day to day situations.

Last edited:

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
I found early on that too much PG dehydrates me terribly. I think I started with a model that had at least 80% PG.

After reducing the PG to 15% or less of the mix (from flavorings,) I've found that I don't have any hydration problems vaping 18mg/ml at around 8 watts, unless I chain vape for a couple of hours (I tend to do that on long drives.) I normally vape for around 15 minutes per hour, give or take a bit depending upon what I'm doing.

VG does give more perceived vapor than PG, which could possibly be more satisfying to some than PG would at the same settings, and this could lead to less overall consumption for some. Since it tends to be less irritating than PG to most, some find the reduced throat hit that VG has to be disappointing.

Others find that VG mutes flavor, but I don't notice that. That could be because I always dilute mine with 10-15% distilled water, which would aid with flavor infusion.

For me, VG (thinned with water) seems to have little effect on my hydration level, as compared to PG.

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Drink more water. Not sodas or energy drinks. Unsweetened juices are ok but just plain water is hard to improve on. As a friend of mine reminded me a bit of lemon in the water is good too. Adds flavor and vit c and other good stuff with out any additives that are not good for you. Hope this helps.
FYI I am thirsty a lot of the time anyway but Vaping did not help that. LOL If your thirsty drink some water etc.

gardnerd4me

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2012
Oakland
I've been using crystal light drink mix and when that runs out i'll break out the Tang. If it works for astronauts, maybe it'll work for me. I also have dehydration issues, mostly just my mouth though. I don't let it get to me too bad, but it's still annoying having mouth sores or lines in my cheeks from my teeth. I still enjoy vaping better than ciggies, so hopefully it's just a transition my body is going through. Good luck, hope it gets better for you.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Hi hcour,
My understanding is that PG and VG are both humectants and both can cause dehydration.
Since you are drinking as much water as possible already I don't know what else to suggest, except maybe alternating between the X2 and the provari so you aren't just vaping with the provari. That might help.

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
:vapor:You might want to turn the Provari down instead of giving up on it. After all, it's only a battery that heats whatever delivery system you're using so it shouldn't make any difference in dehydration. The higher you dial it the more likely it will cause the carto, clearomizer to create more vapor. The lower the number, the cooler the vape and the less vapor created. :vapor:

Tracey1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2009
Tampa, Fl
You may want to have your sugar checked. I had such unquenchable, unbearable thirst for months. I FINALLY went to doctor to have my sugar checked and found out I'm a full blown diabetic. I feel so much better now that I'm on the medicine and the thirst is at least quenchable now. I also added a good multi vitamin to my daily meds. Feeling better now than I have in a long time.

soulja11c

Verified Member
Sep 26, 2012
Texas
If you don't consume much salt, an increase can help.

Edit:
Pulled from yahoo answers.
"Salt helps you to retain water. This is why there is sodium in sports drinks and why people in hot/dry areas need salt. Salt is very important to us but if the salt content is too high then it is bad for us. It won't actually dehydrate us but it will require us to drink more water because it actually dries us out.

Dehydration is really the removal of extra water from our bodies. Caffeine and alcohol do this. They take more water to process then the drinks provide so it takes extra water from our bodies to process then excretes all of the water used to process them. So we now have less water in our bodies then before we drank alcohol or caffeine. Even though salt does dry us out and helps us retain water it does not actually remove water from our bodies like caffeine and alcohol does."

This is true but like me I cannot increase sodium due to cardiac issues. But if this won't exacerbate any other health issues you might have it could help. Just don't over do it, to much salt is bad. They make sodium pills specifically for you to use in addition to water rehydration.

Also to note, there is a general rule of thumb. For every 8 glasses of water you drink, drink at least 1 glass of juice, gatorade, ... For every 8 glasses of juice, gatorade, ... you drink, drink at least 1 glass of water. Too much of either can cause you to become dehydrated, sick, and even lethal is some cases.

Basically, my understanding is too much water and your body flushes it all. Too much everything else, and your body will need an extreme flush to achieve balance.

Note:
I am not a doctor, but I have heard this from several sport physicians and doctors, and well as some army rangers and seals. All made the point while playing sports in excessive 100+ degree heat, but I would assume the concept holds true in day to day situations.

This is also true, I became a Heat Casualty in Iraq during a deployment. I was drinking quarts of water in 120 degree weather and it flushed all the electrolytes out of my body and Surprise!!!! dehydration and heat exhaustion. You have to balance water with drinks that replenish your electrolytes.

I've been using crystal light drink mix and when that runs out i'll break out the Tang. If it works for astronauts, maybe it'll work for me. I also have dehydration issues, mostly just my mouth though. I don't let it get to me too bad, but it's still annoying having mouth sores or lines in my cheeks from my teeth. I still enjoy vaping better than ciggies, so hopefully it's just a transition my body is going through. Good luck, hope it gets better for you.

Crystal Light is a good way to get electrolytes I use that here at home to keep the sugary drinks from my progeny. I believe that Gatorade or Powerade and those have been making sugar free or reduced sugar versions for a bit now. Hope this helps I know wha you are going through. I know a guy on another forum that is a medic, don't know if he has an account but I'll ask him his take and either have him post here or relay for him if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread