Seeking wire advice for Tauren Max Mech and Tauren Max RDA

Jooki

Oct 30, 2023
Hello, I wanna get into mechanical mods, been reading very much, watching videos, studying, i wanna git gud so i don't blow me face off, i've decided for the tauren max mech mod (pure mech, not hybrid) and the max rda, both in brass, so beautiful, as per the battery i'm gonna get the molicel p42a, seems fit for the job, however my doubt is what wire to use.

I've been toying around with steam engine and ended up setting my mind on buying clapton wire but coiling it myself, 3mm id, 6 wraps of nicr80 30*2+40 ends up with .855 Ω / 2 coils = 0.427 Ω

First doubt: is this enough?

Second doubt: i've red that claptons are no good for mechanicals, the guy explaining it says that since they have so much mass it takes a bit longer than desired to warm up and it's a waste of energy which in my ignorant mind it makes sense... so single coiled wire might be better? 30ga nicr80 3mm id, 8 wraps gives 2.054 Ω / 2 coils = 1.027 Ω

This way the battery would be safer and run for longer i guess, but what about the flavor and smoke?

And maybe, third doubt: Since there's no way other than plugging the battery and checking it's voltage, I guess that's not healthy for the battery nor safe to allow it to discharge much, but what levels'd be safe? first day I'm gonna be running the voltimeter like crazy after a few puffs, just to learn and get a hang of it.
Thank you very much

Last edited:

gotch23

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2011
Fukuoka, Japan
Hi Jooki and welcome to ECF! :vapor:

Is this enough: Mmmh, probably not? I mean I vaped like that when the first high powered RDAs came out.. that is with a similar resistance... and it made clouds and was tasty, but I think you can safely go lower,,, for fun and profit.

I do appreciate the concern for not blowing your face up. The Molicel P42a is rated for 30A continuous discharge. I would instead go with the P45B which are rated for 35A continuoous.
As one safety buffer I would go with this conservative lower number. If the battery doesn't get hotter than 60 degrees they can significantly higher rates... In case of the P45B up to 50A, but still... better safe than sorry, right? Especially as a beginner,

As a second safety buffer, I would say don't calculate with the volt drop of your mod... just ignore that.

so... if you calculate with Ohm's law for the P45B

E/R=I that is 4.2V / 35A = 0.12 ohm

or for the P42A 4.2/30 = 0.14

So yeah... you can safely go a lot lower. I would probably aim for something like 0.2 personally.

Claptons no good for mechs: No I would not say that.. It is a matter of taste, though. Ofc roundwire heats up quicker, but the better flavour from complex coils such as Claptons make more than up for it... imo,
Also... good hand-made coils from a reputable builder are just way nicer than the Clapton wire and well worth the asking price... imo. Nothing wrong though with pre-made wire. I use it myself on occasion.

How do I know my voltage is getting low; I would say don't overthink it... You could discharge down to 3.2V, but actually the vape would get thinner and cooler way before that... you'll notice and get the hang of it really quick.

And in case you didn't already know; Mooch
The definitive source for battery Info and recommendations.

Good Luck:vapor:

Jooki

Oct 30, 2023
okay i see, p45b, noted, gonna have to buy it in another shop.

as per the claptons, i've been looking to make my own wires, i saw that fancy tool avidartisan daedalus pro v2 but i think it's discontinued and the company that made em isn't working anymore, i'm gonna have to learn to do them myself with a drill and stuff with hairclips, clamps and clothes pegs xD

thank you very much for your help

Last edited:
Reactions: gotch23

ducasse

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2020
Drammen, Norway
www.reddit.com

as per the claptons, i've been looking to make my own wires, i saw that fancy tool avidartisan daedalus pro v2 but i think it's discontinued and the company that made em isn't working anymore, i'm gonna have to learn to do them myself with a drill and stuff with hairclips, clamps and clothes pegs xD

I think you can actually still get the Daedalus, if you're willing to import. Pretty sure the place I bought mine has a few left, I can check if you want.

Reactions: Jooki

Jooki

Oct 30, 2023
I think you can actually still get the Daedalus, if you're willing to import. Pretty sure the place I bought mine has a few left, I can check if you want.
please, by all means do, much obliged.

shame that i won't be able to buy it this month, if i spend more money on vaping stuff this month my wife will chop me head off XD

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
TLDNR: have never used that atty. I know nothing about it

Have you used Ni wire before? Like 1/3rd of humanity is allergic to nickel. If you’re allergic it can do unpleasant things. I usually prefer SS myself. As a rule the thicker the wire the longer it lasts so my general rule is to use the thickest wire I can. The thicker the wire the more wire you need to get to a given resistance though so how much wire a given RDA can hold can matter. This means I can wind up making some really large coils (which means more cotton) to get a resistance I want with a given RDA. The more coils on a deck the lower the resistance. I’ve got a 4 coil RDA I drill squonked that needs some pretty fine wire since I’ve got to make 4 2ohm coils to get .5 ohm.

Last edited:

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
Have you used No wire before? Like 1/3rd of humanity is allergic to nickel. If you’re allergic it can do unpleasant things. I usually prefer SS myself. As a rule the thicker the wire the longer it lasts so my general rule is to use the thickest wire I can. The thicker the wire the more wire you need to get to a given resistance though so how much wire a given RDA can hold can matter. This means I can wind up making some really large coils (which means more cotton) to get a resistance I want with a given RDA. The larger the number of coils the lower the resistance. I’ve got a 4 coil RDA that I drill squonked. It needs some pretty fine wire to work well. I usually do 4 2 ohm coils for a .5 ohm vape. To make it more fun the thing has vertical coils (how else would they get 4 coils in an atty) so I wind up using 28ga wire usually.

Jooki

Oct 30, 2023
TLDNR: have never used that atty. I know nothing about it

Have you used Ni wire before? Like 1/3rd of humanity is allergic to nickel. If you’re allergic it can do unpleasant things. I usually prefer SS myself. As a rule the thicker the wire the longer it lasts so my general rule is to use the thickest wire I can. The thicker the wire the more wire you need to get to a given resistance though so how much wire a given RDA can hold can matter. This means I can wind up making some really large coils (which means more cotton) to get a resistance I want with a given RDA. The more coils on a deck the lower the resistance. I’ve got a 4 coil RDA I drill squonked that needs some pretty fine wire since I’ve got to make 4 2ohm coils to get .5 ohm.
yes i have used it and s'all fine, thank you.

ducasse

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2020
Drammen, Norway
www.reddit.com
please, by all means do, much obliged.

shame that i won't be able to buy it this month, if i spend more money on vaping stuff this month my wife will chop me head off XD

Looks like it's still in stock. You may have to email them, I don't think the webshop is set up for international orders - that's how I did it but they've reworked the shop since then.

Jooki

Oct 30, 2023

Looks like it's still in stock. You may have to email them, I don't think the webshop is set up for international orders - that's how I did it but they've reworked the shop since then.
thank you very much, i'll take a look

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023

Dedicated wire wrapping tools are a lot like kitchen gadgets. Most of the time they’re more trouble than they’re worth. Every tool for wrapping wires I’ve ever bought (and there have been several) was more annoying than just using a really basic mandrel. Lately I’ve been using a knitting needle (they come in sizes) screw drivers were also quite popular. I’ve got a vernier caliper so diameter isn’t an issue. I don’t make exotic coils like Claptons though. I have found that exotic coils are more or less required these days. There’s a certain “keeping up with the joneses aspect to dras and rdtas vs cartridge systems. They started out worse than handmade coils but now they generally beat simple wire. I’ve taken to buying fused Claptons lately. I can vape as well as a cartrige reliably with bought coils. Sometimes if I wrap my own I get a dud that just doesn’t measure up. Just got some eleaf fused Claptons that are .2 ohm if that’s any help. Was $7 for ten of em. Considering that they can be rewicked many times I find it’s not too heinous an expense. They’re still 1/20th or less of what cartridges would cost. I figure for that kind of money I’m willing to wash my hands

Last edited:

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I never got really fancy with coil building. I did twist wire together and then wrap a coil but I've always used 22ga kanthal. 7 wraps around a 2.5mm mandrel and using 2 coils, I get a resistance of right at .22 ohms. Mech mods are pretty cool but there is danger there. Honestly, you'll get just as good, if not better vape with today's regulated mods. And less danger.

Users who are viewing this thread