Searches, 'What's New' 'My Posts', missing some forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hermit

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
UK
For examples... I've posted in thread(s) in the model-specific ego and eroll forums, and I started a thread in 'Where can I get a', but none of them show up in 'My Posts'.

Can't see any obvious reason for it, since the My Posts URL doesn't contain any include/exclude stuff.

What I have noticed though, is that those forums are also missing from the 'Search in Forum(s)' list on the Advanced Search (Single Content Type), and searches don't seem to return any results from them.

For example, searching all of ECF for CrVI should include eRolls with SS wicks... in its results (or post 5). But it doesn't, no matter whether it's a quick, single content type or multiple content type search.

Searching within those subforums using 'Search forum' never returns any results, no matter what I search for!

If it's not just me seeing this, is this by design? Or partly by design, yet affecting more areas than intended? Or just an 'oops'? :)

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA

Hermit

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
UK
Thanks for that, now I know it's not the same for everyone at least! Maybe something at my end then? Or something post count related?

If I do a quick search for that term, I get 6 threads showing, and it says "Results 1 to 6 of 48" on the first page, and no results on the second. (I don't know how many results that should be, because there's a minor bug there showing post count instead of thread count).

If I do advanced search for it, single type, posts, show results as posts, it says "Results 1 to 25 of 48" on the first page, then "Results 26 to 32 of 32" on the second! (Show results as threads act the same as the quick search). Seems I'm only being shown 32 of the 48 results!

(I'm avoiding mentioning the actual term now to stop adding search hits... picked it as example because there weren't many hits).

A similar thing happens when I click my View Forum Posts - "Results 1 to 25 of 59", then "Results 26 to 50 of 53" and "Results 51 to 53 of 53". Clearly 6 of my posts are in these 'odd' forums, and they don't get listed for me.

It's all very odd!

Do you see the model-specific forums in the 'Search in Forum(s)' list on the Advanced Search (Single Content Type), that I don't?

Last edited:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Do you see the model-specific forums in the 'Search in Forum(s)' list on the Advanced Search (Single Content Type), that I don't?

They don't show up, because they are sub forums of a sub forum. For example:

The E-Cigarette > Model Specific Discussion > Joyetech eRoll *Mini*

You need to make sure the tick box for "Also search in child forums" is checked.

Ms.P

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2014
Mid-Missouri, USA
Thanks for that, now I know it's not the same for everyone at least! Maybe something at my end then? Or something post count related?

If I do a quick search for that term, I get 6 threads showing, and it says "Results 1 to 6 of 48" on the first page, and no results on the second. (I don't know how many results that should be, because there's a minor bug there showing post count instead of thread count).

I was having the same problem - Going to to a forum and seeing "page 1 of 56" but not seeing more than a few pages. I had my default view set to only show posts within the last year (or something like that). I had to change it in order to see older stuff.

Oh! When you do a search, choose sort by date, descending. That will bring up the newest posts first.

Hermit

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
UK
Tried a bunch more searches... it appears that all of the sub-forums that I don't get results from have a 'Closed' parent forum. So that's everything under Model Specific Discussion, Assorted PV Topics, E-Cigarette Reviews, E-Liquid Reviews, and Archives. Somehow the Social Group Forums search OK. I guess that could mean that someone with moderator rights might not see the same results as I do.

Hermit

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
UK
I was having the same problem - Going to to a forum and seeing "page 1 of 56" but not seeing more than a few pages. I had my default view set to only show posts within the last year (or something like that). I had to change it in order to see older stuff.

Oh! When you do a search, choose sort by date, descending. That will bring up the newest posts first.

That was one of the first settings I changed, as soon as I joined - don't like the 'relevance' rating at all!

And, just checked, I'm set to show 'Any date' 'and Newer' :)

Hermit

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
UK
They don't show up, because they are sub forums of a sub forum. For example:

The E-Cigarette > Model Specific Discussion > Joyetech eRoll *Mini*

"DIY E-Liquid" is at the same sub-level and it does appear in that list though... and I get results from that one just fine!

I just thought I spotted a correlation there, with the not working sub-forums also not appearing in that list (which still might be the case for me, but clearly not for you).

You need to make sure the tick box for "Also search in child forums" is checked.

Yup, in advanced search "'Search All Open Forums" is selected and "Also search in child forums" is checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread