Scientists Shocked After Testing Study Confirms That E-Cigarettes Generate Virtually No Toxins

Status
Not open for further replies.

warrior3995

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
Saskatoon SK Canada

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
These finding would be more solidified if they compared them to air samples in city centers with major vehicle congestion. I'm not a betting man but I would wager the air we breathe every day is worse than what we vape.

In Dallas-Fort Worth we have "ozone alert days" that are rated by color. They advise staying indoors on these days.

I work near a military base with jets flying in and out all day - I worry about the fallout from the jet fuel (which has been connected to high cancer rates - see the CDCs study at Fallon)

I'm also very concerned that the CDC was offering up a "substance map" where you could see locations that had unusually high concentrations of one or more substances that are dangerous to your health, but they stopped updating the map after 2007 - you can see the last one here : ATSDR - Substances Map Home Page I would imagine a map honestly updated for 2015 would be almost completely covered in yellow dots.

redddog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2012
Rochester, NY
It is more to combat the slew of monied politicians and corporate interests that are saying that there ARE toxins. These interests are telling anyone that'll listen that vaping is worse than smoking.

This kind of study directly ends the "second-hand smoke" argument among others. I'd say this is anything BUT a "silly study."

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
hear me out on this...
The combined weight of all these in 99 puffs from a Blu Classic Tobacco Disposable (which proved to be typical) was less than 0.17 milligram. That's almost the same as the total amount of HPHCs (0.16 milligram) found in 99 puffs of air.

if we are drawing out air from the "air" does this mean than 99 puffs equal to .17mg - .16mg that came with the air so = .01mg???

I think I get more damage if I smell a cigarette smoker while passing by than vaping the whole day. this is truly mesmerizing

TaketheRedPill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2009
Southern California
This is a landmark study, in that it validates (is that the right word?), research discussed, poked and prodded by ECF'ers, leading to the submission of the quoted paper back in Aug 2013:

BMC Public Health | Full text | Peering through the mist: systematic review of what the chemistry of contaminants in electronic cigarettes tells us about health risks

"In summary, analysis of the current state of knowledge about the chemistry of contaminants in liquids and aerosols associated with electronic cigarettes indicates that there is no evidence that vaping produces inhalable exposures to these contaminants at a level that would prompt measures to reduce exposure by the standards that are used to ensure safety of workplaces. Indeed, there is sufficient evidence to be reassured that there are no such risks from the broad range of the studied products..."

A study from Lorrilard carries a bit more political weight than a study from Ruyan, I'm betting.

Great find, Warrior!

nopatch

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2011
India
It is more to combat the slew of monied politicians and corporate interests that are saying that there ARE toxins. These interests are telling anyone that'll listen that vaping is worse than smoking.

This kind of study directly ends the "second-hand smoke" argument among others. I'd say this is anything BUT a "silly study."

I stand corrected.I thought the blog heading is kind of incorrect.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
Arizona, Ecuador
Study Confirms That E-Cigarettes Generate Virtually No Toxins - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Does this mean e-cigarette vapor is about as safe as air? Not quite, since we don't know the long-term respiratory effects of inhaling the glycerin or propylene glycol that delivers nicotine into vapers' lungs. But whatever those effects are, it is safe to say they will not compare to the effects of smoking.

Good find....now if we could get some good scientists to do some real-world tests, it would prove just how many jackassess are living in our backyards collecting gov wages paid for by the people.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
But whatever those effects are, it is safe to say they will not compare to the effects of smoking.

Well isn't that the definition of HARM REDUCTION?

"the levels of potentially toxic compounds in e-cigarette vapour are 9–450-fold lower than those in the smoke from conventional cigarettes"

Again, harm reduction.

I guess my point is that I am not against making ecigs and vapor even more safe. There is no downside to that, is there?

And we can't do that without following up on some avoidable risks and studying them, as Dr. F. did with diketones ( Acetyl Proprianol, etc. ) in flavorings. Or in the case of lithium battery explosions, vendors and stores merely asking people if they know about the care as well as dangers of lithium batteries, before just handing them over the counter and putting $$ in the cash register.

Last edited:

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
Good find....now if we could get some good scientists to do some real-world tests, it would prove just how many jackassess are living in our backyards collecting gov wages paid for by the people.

Oh well, the government is allocating your tax dollars to be spent by people researching the effects of vape on paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread