Same Wattage, different volts

Status
Not open for further replies.

k3ov

Sep 26, 2012
Minnesota
Hello ECT! I've been reading posts and talking to people enough to undersand some of the technical info but also heard some mixed messages. I'm wondering what the difference is between vaping at 4.2 Volts and 1.8 Ohms vs. 4.8 Volts and 2.4 Ohms?

1. Will one give me better battery life for a single charge?
2. Will one extend the overall life of the battery?
3. Is there a difference in taste/vapor production
4. I heard most VV's have an Ampere limit, what does this mean as I crank up the voltage?
5. I was told that over 4.2V can burn wicks on my Vivi Nova, then was told wicks don't burn, if there Amps are limited and the Watts are the same I'm inclined to believe the latter.

I have an eGo Twist set at 4.2 Volts and a 1.8 Ohm Vivi Nova Mini 2.5. I also have a 2.4 Ohm atomizer head but don't want to burn out the wicks.

I read online that Amps are Volts divided by Ohms which lead me to believe the battery will last longer at higher settings.
4.2 Volts /1.80 Ohm = 2.33 Amps @ 9.8 Watts
4.8 Volts /2.35 Ohm = 2 Amps @ 9.8 Watts

Any help is appreciated, this is my first thread, hope it all makes sense.

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
goal is to get between 4-8 watts. to much and you burn your throat and the atty. To little and you don't get good vapor. There is a limit. You can damage the atty and the battery if you keep exceeding that limit. Watts is what determines how fast the battery discharges if you use a low ohms and high voltage that gives you a high wattage and will drain the battery quicker. Just ohm or just volts is not the determining factor. Watts are the key.
Here is an Xl spread sheet that will figure that out for you just don't change the fields in red that is where the calculation is done. View attachment 139107

k3ov

Sep 26, 2012
Minnesota
Thanks dDubs, that makes much more sense.

I'm obviously not an expert on this but from what I've been reading, battery life (for a single charge at least) is mainly effected by amps, I originally assumed it was volts or watts. Since the higher volt/ohm combo creates the same watts with lower amps it sounds like that's the way to go right? After dDubs' post I don't see a down side to it.

Iusedtoanalog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hi K3ov. Welcome to the ECF. Very well posed first question by the way. I do use a different mod than you but I do go with the higher Ω loads on my mod for this exact same reason. My mod uses a very efficient 6 ampere chip, it converts down from 8.4v (at full charge) to my desired end voltage. The chip is above 90% efficient and I do get around an extra two hours of vape time from a single set of imr 18490 when I use the 2.8Ω coill versus the 1.8Ω coil on my vivi nova tank. I have the same exact electronics in two other mods and the same applies to them also. The difference is more drastic in my smaller 14500 sized unit where its closer to three hours less use time between the two different coil heads. For this reason alone I prefer the higher Ω load on my unit. I normally use my vivis around 5.4 volts. I have no real gripes except when the tanks get low on liquid they do require more frequent tipping to avoid dry hits. Most of my coil heads get cleaned every few days and typically last past the two-three week range where it makes them a win on price versus a few standard cartomizers for the same overall amount of time. I have never burnt a wick, but I have popped a coil, but only while dry burning(during cleaning). So to sum up, on my own personal unit there is a use time difference directly associated with the Ω load of the device attached to it. On the twist I would encourage you to do your own test, since you have a boost circuit it may not make a notable difference. But I believe it would, after all the end output being loaded harder would tax the battery more than less of a load would. Let us know what you find out. Good Luck. Happy Vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread