Salt based juice in a SMOK g-priv 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noobydude

Jan 2, 2018
Hey there,
I'm new to vaping having ordered a SMOK G-Priv 2. I am switching from my Phix pod system mainly because I was limited when it came to choice of flavor. I really like the phix, due to the nic buzz it provides and I'm looking to find something similar on my new mod. Right now I have normal 6mg e-juice coming, but I just found out about the whole nic salt vs "normal" nic topic. My question is if it is possible for me to get the same kind of buzz with traditional e-juice and if so is 6mg enough? From what I have read traditional e-juice buzz's are different and you also go through a lot more juice to get anywhere close to the salt based ones... also salt based juices have disclaimers that they are not ment for sub ohm vaping. Could I still use them in my new G-Priv 2, since I can turn it down all the way to 1 Watt/0.1 ohm? The phix pod juice was 5% salt based (50mg)
I appreciate any help I can get, I'm trying to lower my nic consumption, but the traditional 3mg juice my brother vapes feels like nothing, and I cant see myself going from 100 to 0 lol ...

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Hey there,
    I'm new to vaping having ordered a SMOK G-Priv 2. I am switching from my Phix pod system mainly because I was limited when it came to choice of flavor. I really like the phix, due to the nic buzz it provides and I'm looking to find something similar on my new mod. Right now I have normal 6mg e-juice coming, but I just found out about the whole nic salt vs "normal" nic topic. My question is if it is possible for me to get the same kind of buzz with traditional e-juice and if so is 6mg enough? From what I have read traditional e-juice buzz's are different and you also go through a lot more juice to get anywhere close to the salt based ones... also salt based juices have disclaimers that they are not ment for sub ohm vaping. Could I still use them in my new G-Priv 2, since I can turn it down all the way to 1 Watt/0.1 ohm? The phix pod juice was 5% salt based (50mg)
    I appreciate any help I can get, I'm trying to lower my nic consumption, but the traditional 3mg juice my brother vapes feels like nothing, and I cant see myself going from 100 to 0 lol ...
    Do you vape only for the nic "buzz"?

DDarko419

Jan 9, 2017
    • Deleted by classwife
    • Reason: Not appropriate

Stoneface

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 12, 2013
    New York
    @Noobydude I'm assuming you bought the kit that comes with the TFV8. You can purchase a variety of coil heads for that atomizer that provide different resistances. Any juice can be used with the coild heads in a mix-and-match fashion.

It is true that some vendors recommend that sub-ohm devices not be used with nicotine salt based juices, but that is usually the high strength (usually over 12mg/ml) juices. Try 6mg/ml nicotine salt juice if you are looking for a higher strength nic salt juice with a sub-ohm resistance coil head.

EDITED TO ADD: There is still some debate about the difference between the bioavailability of "regular" freebase nic and nicotine salts. There is also some debate about nicotine salts created using benzoic acid, so I would just say that both nicotine (which is toxic) and nicotine salts (also toxic) are "use at your own risk" products...:thumb:

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I would think the reason that using "nic salts" is not recommended is a) they usually come at a higher nic percentage than one would use for sub0hm vaping and b) they are typically absorbed slightly faster than regular nic, so the possibility of nic overload that can be serious is real, especially if used at a higher percentage due to the volume of vapor consumed per puff. It would be very easy to overdo it seriously, without proper knowledge and etc.

With that said, I'd recommend starting with regular "freebase" in your new sub0hm setup and see how you do at a much lower nic percentage. If you PREFER nic salts, that's fine, if you can figure out what works for you with freebase nicotine first. You need to figure out what nic level works best for YOU for sub0hming first, would be my recommendation. You could certainly switch over to nic salts if that's your preference, once you know how much nic you actually NEED for your sub0hm vape (and may need to DIY or at least dilute premade juice, which may reduce flavor and etc).

This is a new thing, so I'd probably follow the recommendations. If you hate sub0hming generally after some experimentation, nothing wrong with going back to what works.

I did not find a "nic buzz" with nic salts, but I don't vape 50 mg/ml either. I'm at 18 on MTL setups.

Best of luck,

Anna

Stoneface

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 12, 2013
    New York
    .... Could I still use them in my new G-Priv 2, since I can turn it down all the way to 1 Watt/0.1 ohm? ...

I meant to respond to this question in my earlier response and forgot... Turning down the power (Watt) too far will only result in you either not getting any vapor from your atomizer or only getting weak vapor from your atomizer. Either way, you will not get a satisfactory vape from your device and will conclude that "vaping sucks." Most coil heads these days engrave suggested wattage right on the coil head. I recommend starting your power (wattage) at the low end of the suggested power and increasing wattage if you need/want more vapor/flavor. The power sent through the coil head does not determine the strength of nicotine affects, it determines how well the liquid is vaporized on the coil.

If your brother's 3mg/ml nicotine strength doesn't satiate you, then by all means try 6mg strength e-liquid. There is also nothing wrong with trying multiple strengths. For example, I often take 12mg/ml eliquid to work, when I can't spend a lot of time vaping. When I get home, I often switch to 6mg/ml or lower strength juice.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    I've heard that conventional freebase nic makes some people feel sick but they don't have that problem with salts. That's third hand but otherwise puts some balance on it. Haven't tried them yet, at this point it would be more for the benefit of others. I did have issues when I started vaping of feeling sick and it not satisfying but don't know how much was lack of WTAs (whole tobacco alkaloids) or other of 7000 chemicals, or if maybe part of it is actually a flaw of the nic we use. It also bothered my throat. That's the main thing I am sure salts can help with, less harsh. I don't think anyone's getting more buzz from less, most of the nic salt liquids are crazy high nicotine which more than compensates for the low vapor output.

I would think the reason that using "nic salts" is not recommended is a) they usually come at a higher nic percentage than one would use for sub0hm vaping and b) they are typically absorbed slightly faster than regular nic, so the possibility of nic overload that can be serious is real, especially if used at a higher percentage due to the volume of vapor consumed per puff. It would be very easy to overdo it seriously, without proper knowledge and etc.

With that said, I'd recommend starting with regular "freebase" in your new sub0hm setup and see how you do at a much lower nic percentage. If you PREFER nic salts, that's fine, if you can figure out what works for you with freebase nicotine first. You need to figure out what nic level works best for YOU for sub0hming first, would be my recommendation. You could certainly switch over to nic salts if that's your preference, once you know how much nic you actually NEED for your sub0hm vape (and may need to DIY or at least dilute premade juice, which may reduce flavor and etc).

This is a new thing, so I'd probably follow the recommendations. If you hate sub0hming generally after some experimentation, nothing wrong with going back to what works.

I did not find a "nic buzz" with nic salts, but I don't vape 50 mg/ml either. I'm at 18 on MTL setups.

Best of luck,

Anna
    Hi Anna, the sure way to jump on the vape train is to use a Juul or other 50 mg Nic Salts, I don’t even want to look at a ciggy much less light one up. It’s too strong to actually savor though, so I’ll use 12 -18 mg in an Aspire Cleito for vaping pleasure! I know your off cigarettes a while so 50 mg is crazy high.

• Agree
    Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    A lot of folks have started with the juul and found great success. I started out at 18 m.g. nic and was smoking 3 ppd when I quit. I found I did just fine DIY my own at a lower nic level, and I'm glad as the juul is sooooo expensive, but if I had to pick a cigalike (if it were the only thing available) I'd probably go for the Juul honestly. I just can't see funneling big tobacco MORE of my money. :)

I chain vape a bit especially in the AM, but am not usually craving cigarettes most of the time. Big win, as far as I'm concerned.

Anna

Reactions: pmadden
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread