• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Saintscruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mississippi
I don't know where to begin.....

My grandfather on my daddy's side immigrated from Minsk, Russia. My grandmother immigrated from Poland. My grandfather and his family was thrown out of their house so the cossack soldiers and horses could inhabit it. They shot and killed his father in front of him, and put he and his mom on a transport train. They needed more room for the horses, so they threw his mother from the train, killing her. He immigrated to America as a 12 year old boy. He learned English and got a job cleaning a synagogue. I don't know anything about my grandmother's early life.

When they married, they had 2 children, my daddy being the oldest, born in 1911. My father was reared in a very kosher Jewish household with violin lessons.

Most of my childhood, my mom's parents lived with us, my grandfather dying of prostate cancer in 1958. I don't know much about their childhoods except my grandmother was one of 11 children and my grandfather's mom died of breast cancer when he was growing up.

My mom's father, wouldn't let my mom date as both of his sisters got pregnant before they married. But, my grandmother would sneak her out of the house. They were living in Mobile, AL. The teenagers would go to the Battlehouse Hotel to dance as they would have live music. Well, this particular night, my father was playing with a combo. Before they got to Mobile, he had dreamed that he was going to meet a southern girl and marry her. He saw the backside of my mom, and lost his heart. He turned to the drummer and told him that he was going to marry the girl he was pointing at. The drummer laughed at him.

The next day, he went looking for her. God had to be guiding him as she worked in a drug store and he walked in saying and pointing, "So there you are!" She hadn't noticed him from the night before. He wouldn't leave until she promised to go out with him. Daddy was 30 and Mom was 18.

They dated for 5 nights. On the 6th night, since the combo was about to head back to New York, he asked her, "Would you like to dine with me at the automat in New York?" She asked, "Is that a proposal?" He answered, "Yes it is." She said, "I'd love to."

End of Part 1

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mississippi
My folks sneaked over to Mississippi and got married by a J.P. and then had to face my grandparents. They told them, and my grandmother had cooked lunch and asked my daddy to say grace. Being from a Jewish family, he didn't know the term as they always used the word 'blessing' before the meal. So, not understanding, he said, "Well, okay ..... grace!" My grandmother replied, "Oh my God she's married a heathen!" My grandfather stayed drunk for 2 weeks.

When they got to New York, it was as if Mom had stepped onto Mars. I do have some cool stories, but I'll skip that and get to the fact that my other grandmother insisted they get married by a rabbi. I have their Hebrew wedding certificate.

My mom had her fill of New York and told Daddy, that she was going home and if he loved her, he'd leave too. And he followed two weeks later, never wanting to live in the north again.

Fast forward to when I was 8, my daddy was made an offer to move to Mississippi and going into business for himself. Even though he wasn't saved, he always prayed. He didn't know what to do, so he went into our backyard and asked, "God, if I'm supposed to do this, please show me a sign." It was a very cloudy night and all of a sudden a star appeared....then was gone. He shook his head, closed his mouth, and stammered, "Uh, God, uh.....if that star was from You answering my request, please show me again." Well God did. That was the easy part. Convincing my mom was the hardest part. She was almost like Granny Clampett.

Once we moved, we were visited by some churches and the folks decided to go to a Southern Baptist Church. The folks kept my sister and me in church all through our growing up years.

Fast forward to 1985, after 2 failed marriages......my son and I were living in Alabama, I was working at a tv station and when it was decided that he should go and live with his father. I didn't have the money to stay there and I made plans to move home.....again. I pretty much sold everything. I remember lying in bed one night, and I heard the voice of God saying, "You realize you're going to have to face Me once you move back." I answered, "I know." I wasn't scared, as it was almost comforting talking to God. :)

End of Part 2

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mississippi
When I moved back home, I had somewhat of an air about me because I had traveled extensively in Germany, been to Paris and Austria. Yeah, I know....that and $2.00 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks! I had a huge distrust of men. I took a test in Cosmo about whether you had animosity toward men. I scored 95. I got a job at the most popular radio station in town and was learning how to write commercials, and answering the phones at the same time. I loved it.

One of the conditions of living back home was I had to go to church. I thought they meant every Sunday and I wasn't opposed to going. I thought I was a Christian since we'd joined a church when I was 9 years old, got baptized and all, and I knew who Jesus was, the Trinity, being raised on the 3rd day...the whole nine yards. But my folks wanted me to go every time the doors opened. I told Mom, "I told you I'd go to church with you on Sunday.....don't cram it down my throat!" My father told me I needed to find a nice Christian boy to date. (He actually used the term 'boy.') I told him, "Show me one! There aren't any!" They should have knocked me on my keester, to be honest. I know, I know.....Jesus covered those sins on the cross. You know, off topic, there have been many times when I've felt so bad that He had to cover all of my sins. I realize I'm not responsible for anyone elses, I'm just embarrassed that He's had to cover so many of mine.

I moved home in early July and I wish I could remember the exact date in August of 1985, but I don't. It was a Sunday morning like any other Sunday morning. I got up and went to Sunday School and Church. I belonged to the singles Sunday School class and had really good teachers, but I knew all that 'stuff.' I remember church service was going like it usually did, but our preacher's voice gave out, and our staff evangelist got up and finished the sermon. You would have thought it was planned that way as the transition was so smooth. He was young and full of energy and the congregation always enjoyed his sermons. He didn't need a microphone, however, as he had a thunderous voice. Like the Billy Graham Crusades, our church always sang the invitation hymn of 'Just As I Am.'

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mississippi
When I started singing Just As I Am, my feet started moving before I realized what was going on, stepping over Mom and Daddy to get to the aisle. I had to get down front. I didn't care who saw me, what I looked like because I was weeping, with no tissues. I told the evangelist up front that I was rededicating my life, but I met Jesus that morning....I had my road to Damascus, except I wasn't blind. All I knew is that I had to do this. Something just came over me...nothing was going to stop me. Everyone came by and shook my hand, Mom telling me how proud she was of me. But it had nothing to do with anyone but me. I wept for 3 days. I felt radiantly white and clean. I couldn't ever remember that feeling before. I had no more animosity towards men anymore. I can honestly say that the old Saintscruiser died that day, Glory to God.

I then wanted to get to know this God, this Savior......I wanted to know who died for me before I was born. Who knew me before I was born. My church said to start reading in Romans, then go to John. Well, I like Matthew because of the Sermon on the Mount and the Beatitudes. I started listening to Christian Music, I stopped cursing, and since I drank so rarely, that wasn't a problem.

I talked to the Lord every day.....I still do. I talk to him like I talk to anyone. I expect answers whether I want to hear them or not. A lot of the times, I should just keep my mouth shut as sometimes I receive answers I should have left alone. Jesus has experienced every emotion we go through, from rejection and sadness to being loved. He experienced more pain that anyone should have to go through. He knows me inside and out because He made me. I believe Him like a child. "What father would give their child a stone if he asked for a fish."

My feet are made of clay. As my son said about me when he wanted to move back home and got saved, I'll add, he said, "Mom, you didn't turn over a new leaf, you planted a whole new tree." I got re-baptized 5 months later when I realized I got saved that day.....that day when all of my head knowledge became heart knowledge. There is a difference.....I know them both.

I've had more fun being a Christian! It wasn't like this gigantic roll came down from Heaven with all the things I wasn't able to do anymore. God slowly and patiently started sanding the edges off of me. I'm just so glad I don't smoke anymore. As I heard it preached, "Smoking won't send you to hell, but you'll smell like you've been there!" I couldn't imagine life without Jesus. My only regret is that I didn't listen before that day. Jesus is my favorite subject. He's always been so gentle with me. Yeah, I had some Heavenly reprimanding and that isn't fun, but there is nothing better than a Heavenly hug.

End of Part 4 - I'll keep going on if you wish me to about how my husband and I killed our marriage.:shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread