Safety of black tanks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swayback

Nov 20, 2015
I have no desire to trust any coating inside of a tank, especially one made in China. Stainless steel I trust.

Like it not, if you're going to vape, you're going to have to
Learn to trust China to some extent!
Or work really hard, spend a lot of money and severely limit your vaping experience... Or lie to yourself...
Even most American made vape products use some Chinese parts...
I get what you're saying, or Id not be torn on what to buy here, but really you're trusting them with your batteries, basically a bomb in your hand, that you put in your mouth... That's a serious level of trust right there, let that fail at the right time and then weight that against the risk of toxins leeching into your juice...

Not trying to start a fight but China is so deeply and intrinsically tied to the vaping world that's there's no escaping them!

I'm sure we'd all shutter if we really knew how much we rely on them, and how often our lives are in their hands.

I used to think made in China meant made of junk! And often times it does, but certainly not always, there was also a time I used to think made in USA meant that it was a better, safer, higher quality product, but that's certainly not alway the case either. I don't like it, but at this point, I think it's just a fact of life.

MMcQ

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't know about the rest of it but my black subtank plus definitely seems to have been painted as the second (middle) airflow setting shows metal at the edge's while right around the airhole it is black. Not sure of the inside of the tank as its all still completely black inside after at least 200+ mls going through.. * the smallest airhole setting is surrounded by nothing but metal (no black)

swayback

Nov 20, 2015
Kanger lost my business shortly after their junky products got me off cigs, Shame on them for treating me like they did! They had a loyal customer for the losing! And they sure lost me!
They won't see one red cent of mine!
I think my local shop is going to stop carrying everything from them except their coils, that way they no longer disappoint customers with kanger products, but can atleast continue to provide coils for the satisfied few...
I was just given a subtank mini with the rba... I hesitate to even use that with my own coils and cotton...
Rant over...sorry

swayback

Nov 20, 2015
Well I was donated a black Herakles plus today, leaks like a sieve!
It's "stained" black inside and out, the way it leaks I'm sure it's usable anyway, but if I can pick up a pack of coils cheap enough, I'll put my life on the line and vape it.

I really don't mean to bash on anyone here, I joined this forum to educate myself, share experiences, and maybe help a few people with the knowledge I've gained, there's so many people here that have me beat in spades in that department that I may just keep my mouth shut.
Honestly though you guys are trusting your entire vape experience to China! Mods, batts, tanks, coils, wires, plugs.., I could go on an on...everything down to the damn screws is likely chinese made.
What makes you think that avoiding black tanks is really any safer than using "high grade" SS? You're still taking their (often poorly translated) word for it!
What makes you think your SS tank isn't potentially just as tainted as a colored tank?
They can make any claim they like! "Ultra strength high temp Quartz Pyrex" glass may well be loaded with lead! Without proper testing, how would you know?
"Good grade 304 stainless steel"
Sure, sounds great! If it is I fact that! Again, your likely just taking their word for it... God knows what it really is, what treatment process it's been through, and if it's even remotely safe?
We're all just guinea pigs right now anyway, vaping kanthal may well be 100x worse for us in the long run than running Ni200 at 1000 degrees...

I'm really not trying to discredit anyone, not trying to enemies or fools of you either!
I asked for opinions, and said I didn't need scientific studies to back up anyone's opinions, and that's indeed what I got, opinions... Maybe I'm just taking things wrong, the way some of the above posts are worded, it seems as though I'm being judged, an belittled for considering a tank that's anything but stainless...

I'm probably just ordering an SS Griffin soon anyway, I'm tired of waiting for a black one, I'll slap some electric tape on it later if I want it to match :p I'm sure everyone will love the look of that!

Tol

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2011
NY
If you like the black, get the black. I buy most/all toppers in black personally. Look at any part that would touch your juice, if it is black then you want to avoid that topper if it is a concern for you. Some toppers are black on the outside only and stainless inside. SteamCrave even advertises that fact about the Aromamizer on their website. I spent 25+ years smoking, putting thousands of VERY toxic things into my body that are likely much worse than some paint. Just ask questions from the makers or people than own the particular topper to help decide if you like, or look at a lot of close up shots. Normally you can see right away in pics if it will be a concern. I think a lot of manufacturers electroplate instead of painting (I could be wrong).

Do I understand electroplating process? hell no.
Is it bad for you? probably. (I am not a scientist)
Is black paint bad to heat up & inhale? I am going to go with yes (again, I am not a scientist)

Don't feel that people are judging you or belittling you for asking questions, if they truly are, then screw em. That is exactly what ECF is for, to ask questions get opinions and discuss things.

swayback

Nov 20, 2015
I still don't have a 100% definitive answer as to how the Griffin is colored, no response from geekvape... Big surprise there... But after contacting a few vendors, they think it's pvd coated. None of them can 100% confirm it though, I don't think any of them actually have the tank in hand.

So I know little about pvd, I do know it's extremely hard, harder than steel, and doesn't chip or scratch easy, I've also read not to expose it to certain acids...
Other than that I'm pretty ignorant... I'm sure some of you here are more knowledgable!
Assuming it is actually pvd coated, does anyone think it's safe or unsafe?
I've been looking more and more and really can't find anything close to proof of black tank being dangerous, obviously some people have concerns with it, myself included...
Then again, I have concerns about the safety of a lot of vape gear... I doubt seriously that any of it is more harmful than cigs! But still I quit for health reasons...

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Well I was donated a black Herakles plus today, leaks like a sieve!
It's "stained" black inside and out, the way it leaks I'm sure it's usable anyway, but if I can pick up a pack of coils cheap enough, I'll put my life on the line and vape it.

I really don't mean to bash on anyone here, I joined this forum to educate myself, share experiences, and maybe help a few people with the knowledge I've gained, there's so many people here that have me beat in spades in that department that I may just keep my mouth shut.
Honestly though you guys are trusting your entire vape experience to China! Mods, batts, tanks, coils, wires, plugs.., I could go on an on...everything down to the damn screws is likely chinese made.
What makes you think that avoiding black tanks is really any safer than using "high grade" SS? You're still taking their (often poorly translated) word for it!
What makes you think your SS tank isn't potentially just as tainted as a colored tank?
They can make any claim they like! "Ultra strength high temp Quartz Pyrex" glass may well be loaded with lead! Without proper testing, how would you know?
"Good grade 304 stainless steel"
Sure, sounds great! If it is I fact that! Again, your likely just taking their word for it... God knows what it really is, what treatment process it's been through, and if it's even remotely safe?
We're all just guinea pigs right now anyway, vaping kanthal may well be 100x worse for us in the long run than running Ni200 at 1000 degrees...

I'm really not trying to discredit anyone, not trying to enemies or fools of you either!
I asked for opinions, and said I didn't need scientific studies to back up anyone's opinions, and that's indeed what I got, opinions... Maybe I'm just taking things wrong, the way some of the above posts are worded, it seems as though I'm being judged, an belittled for considering a tank that's anything but stainless...

I'm probably just ordering an SS Griffin soon anyway, I'm tired of waiting for a black one, I'll slap some electric tape on it later if I want it to match :p I'm sure everyone will love the look of that!
You did indeed ask us for our opinions. So don't get huffy because we gave them ;)
Common sense tells me that whatever stainless is being used in a tank from China there is less risk than the same tank coated inside, plus I've done my homework and found a few cases where the paint or other coating came loose inside. In one case a fellow used paint thinner to remove it. So there is more risk in my humble opinion. Now kanger says there is no danger of a colored coating chip comes loose since its "food grade" and the cotton will filter it out (they must be talking about stock coils). I would have to see the spec sheet on the coating and and still wouldn't buy it if it can come loose. Remember the issues over the years with pot and pan coatings from China? Not for me. I don't care if you believe otherwise. Vape on. :)

Last edited:

swayback

Nov 20, 2015
You did indeed ask us for our opinions. So don't get huffy because we gave them ;)
Common sense tells me that whatever stainless is being used in a tank from China there is less risk than the same tank coated inside, plus I've done my homework and found a few cases where the paint or other coating came loose inside. In one case a fellow used paint thinner to remove it. So there is more risk in my humble opinion. Now kanger says there is no danger of a colored coating chip comes loose since its "food grade" and the cotton will filter it out (they must be talking about stock coils). I would have to see the spec sheet on the coating and and still wouldn't buy it if it can come loose. Remember the issues over the years with pot and pan coatings from China? Not for me. I don't care if you believe otherwise. Vape on. :)

I didn't really mean to sound offended, sometimes I come off ....ty when I type, I'm not sure what my deal is with it, I also have trouble finding the right words sometimes...
Either way I'm not .... hurt, I guess I expected to open up more of a conversation about the subject.
Part of what I was trying to say is "question everything" in a sense, because we really don't know a lot about the materials or processes used to make our gear, I think a lot of people take that for granted, and simply believe what they read on a product package.
I asked for opinions, and got them, but had hoped for more than I got in some cases, again, I'm not finding the right words without sounding ....ty...

I tend to agree with you, that plain stainless inside a tank is inherently safer than using something to color it, atleast in most cases, that's why I made the post. Thinking about this post made me think a little more about it, and while I do still agree, really who's to say it is safer? If the manufacturer claims are true then of course it probably is, but as you bring up, some, if not almost all these manufacturers are a bit shady, and really only interested in profits!
I certainly wouldn't trust a word kanger says! Nor do I have any interest in using a tank that painted on the inside! That's just asking for trouble, good grade cotton can only filter out so much, a certain size particle will easily work its way into the coil itself and then get hot, melted, vaped into us or maybe even burned.

I actually don't remember issues with pan coatings from China, I do remember that it was decided Teflon was somewhat dangerous as a cooking surface, especially when it gets really hot of get scrapped off, but other than that, I'm not sure...is that what you're talking about?

I spend several hours online, using Google and forum searches, but pretty much came up with nothing, I know that 90% of questions asked on forums have been answered repeatedly, and try to use that to my advantage and not clutter things up with stupid question thst people are tied of answering, but I just didn't find much of anything. I do remember reading through a post, I think it was here, about the Griffin, and when the first pics of it came out, several people seemed rather upset that it was coated inside and out, that's really what made me first think about it... But they just basically said "oh no it's coated inside!" No real information.

As to whether I believe or anyone else, again that's kind of the point of all this, I'm not sure what exactly to believe, I'm trying to educate and inform myself, that way I can form an opinion that's based on more than what I believe or what I know, I'm admittedly ignorant of plenty of things, this being one of them!

Sorry if I seemed .... hurt, I really wasn't... But I guess I was hoping for more of an explanation to go along with people's opinions...

So does anyone have any knowledge about pvd? Or how safe or unsafe of a costing it may be?

Reactions: David Wolf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread