Safety evaluation and risk assessment of electronic cigarettes as tobacco cigarette substitutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
Wow that's long... I barely skimmed then jumped to the Conclusions ... still a lot of good, but I didn't like this part:

Regulations need to be implemented in order to maintain the current situation of minimal penetration of EC use in nonsmokers and youngsters, while manufacturers should be forced to provide proof for the quality of the ingredients used and to perform tests on the efficiency and safety of their products.

although that was tempered with this :
However, any regulatory decisions should not compromise the variability of choices for consumers and should make sure that ECs are more easily accessible compared with their main competitor, the tobacco cigarette. Consumers deserve, and should make, informed decisions and research will definitely promote this. In particular, current data on safety evaluation and risk assessment of ECs is sufficient enough to avert restrictive regulatory measures as a consequence of an irrational application of the precautionary principle.
If I understood, Drs. F and Polosa are saying they want some things to be regulated, but not too restrictive, and consumer choice should not be hampered.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Wow that's long... I barely skimmed then jumped to the Conclusions ... still a lot of good, but I didn't like this part:

Regulations need to be implemented in order to maintain the current situation of minimal penetration of EC use in nonsmokers and youngsters, while manufacturers should be forced to provide proof for the quality of the ingredients used and to perform tests on the efficiency and safety of their products.

I don't have an issue with this KattMamma. Yes, it depends on how these regulations are created and implemented, but if they are designed to do what that says with no ulterior motives, I'm good with it. If it turns into eliminating vaping to save the children, or puts unattainable conditions on user safety it's a no-go for me but that's not what the article supports.

Reactions: KattMamma

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
I don't have an issue with this KattMamma. Yes, it depends on how these regulations are created and implemented, but if they are designed to do what that says with no ulterior motives, I'm good with it. If it turns into eliminating vaping to save the children, or puts unattainable conditions on user safety it's a no-go for me but that's not what the article supports.
Any push for regulation, especially when coming from vapers, concerns me because we all know that once they start regulating, they don't know where to stop. Plus I think it looks bad when vapers say "regulate us" - as if the very users of this miraculous tool feel a need to be protected from something bad in it.

But the statements about protecting consumer choice did make me feel a little better about it.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Any push for regulation, especially when coming from vapers, concerns me because we all know that once they start regulating, they don't know where to stop. Plus I think it looks bad when vapers say "regulate us" - as if the very users of this miraculous tool feel a need to be protected from something bad in it.

But the statements about protecting consumer choice did make me feel a little better about it.

I always worry about "regulation" but I do feel that makers of ecig liquids should be legally required to give full disclosure of what is in their liquids.

That doesn't mean I think that the liquids themselves need to be tested, but I do think we have the right to know what is going in to the liquids and some proof that those ingredients are safe. Too many people ASSUME that everything in ecig liquids is safe, but the truth is there's been virtually no testing on flavorings and colorings going in to some of these liquids, and it is undeniable that some liquids have, and some continue to include potentially unsafe ingredients such as dikatones and artificial colors. Foods are required to list the ingredients, why not ecig liquids?

And I'll give you a real example of why I think this is important.

Many of the artificial "tobacco" flavors out there include nut flavoring. Some of these nut flavorings are natural nut extracts which could trigger a severe allergic reaction in someone who has a strong nut allergy. Such a person needs to know if the liquids include any natural nut extracts.

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
I do understand the allergy concerns, since I suffer from many allergies myself, and you specifically mention nuts - a true peanut allergy is probably the most deadly allergy on the planet.

FWIW the listing of ingredients in your food likely isn't anywhere near as transparent or inclusive as you might think. I don't have time to pull up the data, but a little googling on the subject can be very enlightening (or scary). But they have, thankfully, been labeling foods with peanuts for a while now.

If the industry would step up and be transparent (at least on things the vaping community is concerned about) - I couldn't be happier!! But meanwhile, if I had a peanut allergy, I would research every juice and avoid those that use ANY natural flavorings, or just go unflavored.

Reactions: mattiem

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
To Regulate is to LIMIT! Limitations ADD COST NOT VALUE!
I'm All For Industry Regulation And Deathly Opposed To Government Regulations! The Addition Of Government Has Never Improved Anything!:2c:

OK, I'm gonna get flamed here but....gov't never made anything better. Do we remember why the USDA was formed? I feel we need something like that....not the tobacco control act.

SunshinePete

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire, England
To Regulate is to LIMIT! Limitations ADD COST NOT VALUE!
I'm All For Industry Regulation And Deathly Opposed To Government Regulations! The Addition Of Government Has Never Improved Anything!:2c:

I love that Texas spirit, wish we had some in blighty.

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
OK, I'm gonna get flamed here but....gov't never made anything better. Do we remember why the USDA was formed? I feel we need something like that....not the tobacco control act.

So let's see. The govment regulates business, right?
Now all the jobs that used to pay a 'Living Wage' are now done in China, India, etc, right?
The govment brings in folks from foreign countries because "there are no qualified folks here, right?
So American workers can work minimum wage jobs (if they can find those), right?
The govment wants to make Illegal Immigrants citizens to fill all those Precious Minimum Wage, right?
The govment wants what the BIG MONEY and the POLITICAL PARTY wants, right?

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
well let's see now could be regulated by obtaining a 500.00 dollar a year license to use ec and purchase government only made ejuice - go to my local government ejuice store show em my Pricey little license and pick up my government approved 50.00 juice.

wasn't that long ago one needed a script to get nic gum. my question will the gov set up DIY clinics for us old folks living on pensions or will all the juice need to come through the gov store like booze does today?

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
So let's see. The govment regulates business, right?
Now all the jobs that used to pay a 'Living Wage' are now done in China, India, etc, right?
The govment brings in folks from foreign countries because "there are no qualified folks here, right?
So American workers can work minimum wage jobs (if they can find those), right?
The govment wants to make Illegal Immigrants citizens to fill all those Precious Minimum Wage, right?
The govment wants what the BIG MONEY and the POLITICAL PARTY wants, right?

You are comparing apples and oranges here and very few businesses fall under true "government regulation"

I am talking about safety standards we demand the government sets for our food and medicines.

Why is it everyone says " if you buy store bought VG or PG, make sure it is USP grade"? What the heck do you think USP stands for?

Reactions: EBates
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread