Not open for further replies.

Peter_C

Who?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2013
Akron, Ohio
www.facebook.com
Peter, early wishes for a completely stress free and easy surgery, and an even easier recovery.

Thank you - I'll be happy if they don't cancel on me like they did four days prior, last month. I'm being a good boy and cutting back on my meds already (which is why I am back up and typing at 3AM)...

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia
Wanted to bring this forward for you coil builder types. I am absolutely loving this build with the SABOT-DDD.

The hardest part of getting this to work right was always how much wick to use. Using Rayon for the wick makes this work better than ever!

Just slapped together another one, and almost put to much wick in there. Almost, because with the SABOT-DDD, all I had to was adjust the AFC closed some, and instead of having to pull it apart, and remove a little wick to prevent a dry hit, and I'm rocking right along.

Flavor is off the chain!

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-micro-coil-build-aro-evod-protank-heads.html

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
Wanted to bring this forward for you coil builder types. I am absolutely loving this build with the SABOT-DDD.

The hardest part of getting this to work right was always how much wick to use. Using Rayon for the wick makes this work better than ever!

Just slapped together another one, and almost put to much wick in there. Almost, because with the SABOT-DDD, all I had to was adjust the AFC closed some, and instead of having to pull it apart, and remove a little wick to prevent a dry hit, and I'm rocking right along.

Flavor is off the chain!

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-micro-coil-build-aro-evod-protank-heads.html

BSD gave this a try tonight. I think I did 10 wraps of 30g Kanthal around 1/16” came in at 2.3ohms. Put it in a smok PBC tank to try it out and it's working great. I used the Rayon wick. Pretty much put as much in as I could without cramming to tight. Flavor and vapor is really good. I'll have to try this in the sabot. I also have some of the old dual heads for the Kanger Aero tank I might try this in also.

DPLongo22

"Vert De Ferk"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I am finally on my third head, using the Sabot-DDD 100% of the time. Am liking it very much. Random minor leakage, not yet pinned down - am keeping it 50% or fuller at all times - get a bit of gurgle after adding juice, turn it up for a few pulls, and then all is well. Am thinking the leakage has to do with the age of the coil, as it never seems to happen with the first few refills.

Love the AFC staying wide open for me, and the nice lighter pulls (65PG/35VG) even with an older head the draw is nice and light - I am very pleased.

Will clean and put a new head on just before Surgery Tuesday, and hopefully it'll work fine with just battery changes til I get back more towards normal.

Good luck, Peter! I hope everything goes well for you.

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia
BSD gave this a try tonight. I think I did 10 wraps of 30g Kanthal around 1/16” came in at 2.3ohms. Put it in a Smok PBC Tank to try it out and it's working great. I used the Rayon wick. Pretty much put as much in as I could without cramming to tight. Flavor and vapor is really good. I'll have to try this in the sabot. I also have some of the old dual heads for the Kanger Aero tank I might try this in also.

Cool beans BlueSnake.

What's nice too, is once you have the coil made, re wicking is easy and the coils last forever. The two I put to use were vertical heads I had laying around that have are so old the grommet is brown from age lol. To re-wick, I just use a sewing needle to pluck out the old wick, dry burn the coil using a ProTank base, and in goes the new wick.

Good thing too cause getting the hang of making this coil is a little tricky. Sounds like you nailed it on the first attempt...Kudo's!

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
Cool beans BlueSnake.

What's nice too, is once you have the coil made, re wicking is easy and the coils last forever. The two I put to use were vertical heads I had laying around that have are so old the grommet is brown from age lol. To re-wick, I just use a sewing needle to pluck out the old wick, dry burn the coil using a ProTank base, and in goes the new wick.

Good thing too cause getting the hang of making this coil is a little tricky. Sounds like you nailed it on the first attempt...Kudo's!

I must have got lucky.

xtreme101

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2013
New York
Sooo where do I get some of this Rayon everyone is raving about? And what are the precautions I should take when using it, if I get some?

CelluCotton ~100% Rayon Fibers is the new wicking sensation. Comes in a few sizes and can be found at Sally Beauty Supply. If you do buy some just don't get the 10' Ft. pack since it is not 100% Rayon but actually cotton.

Pick up a box and you will be set for life :)

IMG_20140608_164547.jpg

Last edited:

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia
Okay all you wonderful people. I have a problem.
One of my Sabots is stuck in a BB tank. It's time to change the coil and I really can't get it out. I used the black tool that came with it. No luck. I tried putting it on the edge of a counter and pushing down really hard. Nope. Stuck it in the freezer. It won't move.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sorry for just reading this. I do presume you've gotten it out by now lol.

The top SABOT-DDD (or any carto,atty for that mater) will be protruding a couple of mm out the top side of the tank. Simply place the top of the tank on a flat surface and press the tank down until the atty moves a little and is then even with the top of the tank. The tool wiil then easily remove the SABOT-DDD.

EDIT. Man I need a cup of coffee. You did just what I suggested after I actually read your post:facepalm:

IDK, what ya vaping...glue? :D

Last edited:

Silverdove

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Il, USA
I would like to give a big shout out THANK YOUS for you 3 D's for making the Sabot-DDD and to JeremyR for the CC Rayon wicking. Oh and of course Mr DD for the beautiful BBs he makes. Now I am a fiddle free vaper. Been almost a week with the Sabot-DDD wicked with
CC Rayon and it is fantastic. Not one dry hit. No more mentally taste from what I don't know, guess from wick drying out. No more juice leaking cause I couldn't get the wick right for my slight puffs. Once in a while now will get a little in tube but very seldom. Think that is more from condensation then anything cause I don't draw out all the vapor when I puff. No more watering down my home made juice to make things work better. Now it is pure and wonderful tasting. As they where saying on JeremyR's topic the vapor is super and more like what you would see from smoking a cig.

Haven't had my tank out but a couple times to check for any wetness in 5 days. WOW!! anyway for me. So just want all of ya all to know I really appreciate all you do to make things easier and better for the rest of us. Many Many Thanks to you all.

Vapian

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2011
Lexington, KY
So, been casting about for some of the CelluCotton stuff, not in the 10'-actually-cotton-package. Best I can find is 3lb for about $23 shipped.

Now, that wouldn't break the bank, but it's probably WAY more than I would use anytime soon, and I have more than enough of that class of thing sitting around already. :)

If there's any chance someone is willing to part with maybe 4 or 8 oz. of the stuff for appropriate compensation, hit me with a PM? Thanks!

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
So, been casting about for some of the CelluCotton stuff, not in the 10'-actually-cotton-package. Best I can find is 3lb for about $23 shipped.

Now, that wouldn't break the bank, but it's probably WAY more than I would use anytime soon, and I have more than enough of that class of thing sitting around already. :)

If there's any chance someone is willing to part with maybe 4 or 8 oz. of the stuff for appropriate compensation, hit me with a PM? Thanks!

I have some. I sent a pm.

Vapian

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2011
Lexington, KY
OK, I'm absolutely convinced the Sabot-DDD is everything it's cracked up to be, but apparently my rebuilding skills are lacking.

I've spent most of the last day-and-a-half trying out different coil builds - vertical with various spacing from bottom to coil and packing with various densities of japanese cotton and P&C; horizontal with micro- and other spacing, using 1/16" drill bit, 16 and 14 ga needles and various wicking materials (except the rayon, a sample of which should arrive this week thanks to BlueSnake - Thanks!), in all cases with various air flow control settings, etc.

And honestly the best vape I'm getting is a stock head coil with a few P&C flavor wicks (stock or maybe cotton wick in the coil), and even then at best it tastes good but is a bit dry and lacking in vapor compared to a good ol' carto. Flooding has not been a problem, yet.

Also having trouble nailing down a ohm range. Most of what I wrap with 30 or 32 comes in between 2.0 and 2.8 ohms, but the BB still runs very warm compared to an SR Boge ohm carto. And by warm, I don't mean a warm vape, I mean the body of the BB gets warm to the touch. I'm thinking that running closer to 2.8 ohms should be ideal, but it doesn't seem to keep this from happening.

Maybe rayon will resolve some of this, maybe not, but I think the problem's got to be with my builds, even though I've read up quite a bit on ARO/Kanger type builds (including most of the links in this thread).

There's something I'm missing, and this constant experimenting is killing my free time and frankly I think the family's a bit put off with all the time I've been spending on it.

So let me ask you experts: Other than the technical details that are all over the place, is there anything you do "by feel" that helps your builds work so well for you?

The frustrating thing is that I've (in my head) always kind of prided myself on being able to figure technical things out. But there seems to be more "art" to this than I thought, and it's obviously something I'm not "getting".

So I salute you who've got this nailed down, and most humbly ask for any additional light your guidance can shed on this!

Peter_C

Who?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2013
Akron, Ohio
www.facebook.com
I would like to give a big shout out THANK YOUS for you 3 D's for making the Sabot-DDD and to JeremyR for the CC Rayon wicking. Oh and of course Mr DD for the beautiful BBs he makes. Now I am a fiddle free vaper. Been almost a week with the Sabot-DDD wicked with
CC Rayon and it is fantastic. Not one dry hit. No more mentally taste from what I don't know, guess from wick drying out. No more juice leaking cause I couldn't get the wick right for my slight puffs. Once in a while now will get a little in tube but very seldom. Think that is more from condensation then anything cause I don't draw out all the vapor when I puff. No more watering down my home made juice to make things work better. Now it is pure and wonderful tasting. As they where saying on JeremyR's topic the vapor is super and more like what you would see from smoking a cig.

Haven't had my tank out but a couple times to check for any wetness in 5 days. WOW!! anyway for me. So just want all of ya all to know I really appreciate all you do to make things easier and better for the rest of us. Many Many Thanks to you all.

I must chime in as well. I use stock heads. I don't do futzing, I just want it to work, all the time, every time. So I bought the perfect mod, and now have the perfect device inside the perfect mod. I've not used anything else since my Sabot-DDDs arrived. No need nor any desire to do so.

Thank you all.

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
My perfect coil is 32g Kanthal, 6 or 7 wraps (I forget which) on 5/64" drill bit. Install the coil on the head while still on the drill bit. Then feed in the rayon, tight but not tight enough to move or deform the coil. This has been vaping perfect. No dry hits no gurgling. I do have the air control screwed down a couple of turns to pull in more juice for better flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread