Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
I've searched the forums and watched a ton of YT videos and haven't found my answer yet. I posted here because I am a noob to the site and have a couple more posts before I can branch out.

I don't want to buy a mechanical yet but want to use a rda. I tried one at a local shop and the vape and taste was insane. It was an Omega clone and cotton.

Can anyone help me understand how I can do this on my SVD.

Is it possible to build a coil at 1.8 to use with cotton and drip?

Sorry if I am asking something that is posted here but I searched for how's and all I could find is low ohm builds. I have everything I need but just lack the confidence and knowledge because I can't find good information on the build.

BeRight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2009
Ellicott City, Maryland
One of my favorite builds and used on my SVD:

28 gauge kanthal/5/64 bit/ 11 wraps micro coil ala Rip Trippers YouTube method - 1.5 ohms and vape at 8 watts.

So 12 wraps should be close to 1.8 ohms.

I just use a simple dripper - IGO-L $10.50 delivered ebay - lots of room - simple - works like a champ

jonhall2

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
cashiers, nc
One of my favorite builds and used on my SVD:

28 gauge kanthal/5/64 bit/ 11 wraps micro coil ala Rip Trippers YouTube method - 1.5 ohms and vape at 8 watts.

So 12 wraps should be close to 1.8 ohms.

I just use a simple dripper - IGO-L $10.50 delivered ebay - lots of room - simple - works like a champ

Doesn't it take a while for that size coil to heat up?

marc you will need some 30ga. kanthal. six wraps around a 1/16" bit will give you 1.4 to 1,6ohm and still fire on a regulated mod. wicked with cotton you should be able to run 9w or 9.5w. you will be producing more vapor than you are probably used to, thus more nic faster. be aware and vape safe.

*deleon517*

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
s. florida
as long as you have airflow on both coils duals should be fine. I personally find that a nicely wrapped micro coil produces better then a dual in flavor and vapor production. Also keep in mind that with dual coils you would need to have each coil meter out to 3.6ohm's independently, as having two your total resistance will be be cut in half of the individuals.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Excellent and thank you for the replies, I have a good starting point.

Is it possible on the same unit to burn a dual coil? I have the wire on it's way and I'm going to pick up some from a buddy to work with today.

Yes. I use two 2Ω coils (I like 2Ω coils whether as singles or as duals) in the dual RDA that sits on my SVD. That comes out to be 1Ω. Use volts. I'm fairly sure the SVD works so it limits by what mode you are in so if you use watts you'll quickly find the 15w limit using low ohms.
You should be able to hit enough voltage without stacking to drive two 2Ω coils on an SVD.

But I tend to agree that a good single micro can satisfy as much as a dual and they're much easier to build. If you have a cap that's drilled for a single I wouldn't bother drilling it for a dual.

reogrand

Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Sarasota, FL
This intrigues me. I have had an Omega for a few months now, and it's just too hardcore for me. It just sits in my box of stuff. I much prefer the vape of a Kayfun or similar RTA. I have a DNA 30 Hana and some mechs and would love to know how to build the Omega to be a good single coil RDA. I have been building coils for a long time, so I don't need a lot of instruction, just some guidance. Dual coils, even metering at 1 ohm is too much for me. But when I put a single micro in with cotton, there is all that empty space in the other side. It just pools full of liquid. Should I build a 1.5 - 2 ohm single coil and then fill the whole atty with cotton? If I can't get it to work, it's going to the classifieds. I know there are plenty of people that would want one. I do know to line up the single air hole :) Any advice for me? One caveat, the wick has to be cotton. Silica and ekowool taste bad to me, and I have a ton of it also collecting dust.

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I've searched the forums and watched a ton of YT videos and haven't found my answer yet. I posted here because I am a noob to the site and have a couple more posts before I can branch out.

I don't want to buy a mechanical yet but want to use a RDA. I tried one at a local shop and the vape and taste was insane. It was an Omega clone and cotton.

Can anyone help me understand how I can do this on my SVD.

Is it possible to build a coil at 1.8 to use with cotton and drip?

Sorry if I am asking something that is posted here but I searched for how's and all I could find is low ohm builds. I have everything I need but just lack the confidence and knowledge because I can't find good information on the build.

Of course it is.
Just use 32 guage wire.

*deleon517*

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
s. florida
Reogrand what I do for set up's like my w3 which has air slots for either dual or quad. No single coil air slot option is use twice as long of a piece of cotton as normal. I try to center the coil on the cotton. all the excess gets filled up on the opposite end. Which I also use to block the second air slot so its not leaking juice every where. I find that when positioned right it as acts as a extra juice holder so I don't have to drip nearly as often (maybe 3-5 extra puffs). The same can be done for single coil air hole rda's as well.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
32 ga at five turns gave me 2.1.

reogrand, I's just doing a single coil right now and keeping the cotton good and wet. Some ends up in the well but not enough where it ends up being a pool. placement of the coil is key, it should be right by the air hole. I wicked it, lifted the coil, put some of the cotton underneath but not enough to block the air intake and it worked well.

It's my first attempt at a RDA and the first couple coils looked like they were in a car accident but I finally got it. I'm a total rookie and I probably got lucky but if I can do it you absolutely can too. It's definitely worth playing around and getting the Omega fired up, the flavor and vape is insane.

JaRod

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2014
Delray Beach FL
Well I went out and picked up a K100 and an Omega and all I can say is wow.

My first attempt was bad, that could be because my glasses aren't strong enough and my coil was a mess. After a couple runs success. talk about a cloud and the taste...... insane!

If you are into RBA's and over 40 lol or less than perfect eyes you need to get a headband magnifier, you can get it from Amazon starting at $ 8 and up.... I couldn't do crap without them lol

reogrand

Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Sarasota, FL
I figured it out...deleon517...I did nearly as you described, but I put a long cotton wick in and tucked a bit under the coil and then draped the long "tail" over the top of the posts. This catches the liquid and it wicks right down the the coil. No more taking off the top cap to drip! It's running a single coil at 1.45 ohms and it vapes so much better now. There is less throat hit as it's cooler and the vape is warm and super dense. Omega is now my friend ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread