Rubber Coating for Box mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
It sorta works but tends to peel off easily on most things I've put it on. It's also thick. As long as you go easy on it, it should stay on well enough.

If you're looking for something with a bit more adhesion, try spray on truck bed liner available in the auto section at Walmart. Its a textured finish but it sticks better IMO. Probably goes without saying but any coating should be applied before you install the buttons or wiring.

QuikWgn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2010
SnoCo Washington
www.youtube.com
the other thing is that you would want to rough sand the box with something around 80 grit paper prior to applying the coating to promote adhesion. The problem with Plasti-Dip is that with a box mod you have to open it to swap batts is that you would have to either try and plastidip each half of the box then remove the plastidap from the inside portion, or coat the whole box and then cut it apart. It works much better for tube mods than for box mods. The one good thing about it is they now have custom Plasti-Dip kits that allow you to create custom colors.

Wooden indian

Jul 13, 2011
Fl USA
Bit of an old thread... but I have done this with good results. Trial and error led me to sand all surfaces, apply an auto grade primer, and then several thin coats of rubber. When I let it dry too much between coats, it peedled if scratched. But if you hit it again while it's still wet and tacky, it bonds together much nicer.

Time consuming, but not bad.

Boxcar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 28, 2009
Phoenix, AZ.
Cool. Thanks!

Bit of an old thread... but I have done this with good results. Trial and error led me to sand all surfaces, apply an auto grade primer, and then several thin coats of rubber. When I let it dry too much between coats, it peedled if scratched. But if you hit it again while it's still wet and tacky, it bonds together much nicer.

Time consuming, but not bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread