RDA Royal Hunter RDA review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crow79

ECF Veteran
Dec 25, 2010
Vancouver
Been using the Royal Hunter (full size) for about a month now and I thought I'd give an unbiased review on what is currently my favourite RDA in terms of actual vaping enjoyment. It can be run in single or dual coil mode. Very versatile.

Setup:

Royal Hunter RDA
Dual coil (spaced), SS 316L @ 0.34 ohms
Joyetech cuboid
Running SS TC @450F, 50w

So... First thing is first.. Gotta be one of the nicest looking drippers on the market. Very sleek and classy looking, it catches your eye without looking gawdy.

Second, tons of room on the build deck, a huge plus. My only gripe with the deck is the grub screws. If this thing used Phillips head screws like the Mutation X, it would be near perfect. The only other thing might be to offer a version with a velocity style deck for those that prefer it. I like the split post now that I'm used to it.

Having said that, the juice well is a bit shallow. This actually isn't a huge problem for me but for some it might be.

Drip tip. I love it, and I love the honeycomb spitback guard. It can get overheated if you have the brass top cap like I do... But I like the look of brass, so I deal with it. If you don't like the drip tip, it comes with a 510 adapter.

Airflow/flavour. This is subjective, but it is the perfect combination of airflow and flavour for me. Other similar attys have more airflow (Mutation X v4) but literally have zero flavour for me.

Let me be clear here.. I actually prefer my flavour to be a little more mellow. The RH delivers a super smooth hit without overpowering your palate while chucking huge clouds if you leave the airflow wide open. I wouldn't say the flavour is muted, so much as it delivers a TRUE flavour, bringing all the different complexities of your juice to your palate without overloading it. The RH does NOT NEED BOTTOM AIRFLOW. Are you listening, Council of vapor? If you plan on making a V2, I have other suggestions for this atty, but bottom airflow is NOT one of them! It's perfect as is.

Many people complain about this atty leaking, and if you don't think about the design, it certainly will... But here is how you SHOULD fill it.

DO NOT DRIP IN THIS ATTY WITH THE AIRFLOW OPEN. Because of the honeycomb spit guard, the juice doesn't always drip straight down into the centre of the well if you drip through it. It will run down the sides and ooze out the airflow.

CLOSE OFF YOUR AIRFLOW BEFORE FILLING. if you do this one step, you can literally pour juice in through the tip and it will not leak unless you overfill way too much.

Wait a few seconds for the juice to settle, gently blow into the honeycomb guard to clear any trapped juice, hold the barrel in place so you don't misalign the airflow and twist the top cap to open up your airflow again.

Pin. Well... Maybe it's my mods, but i bet it's not. The RH doesn't like to sit flush on either my cuboid of VF Lite unless I take the barrel off and really ream on it. And even more annoying, as you spin the atty on your device, the threading is a bit coarse, so the barrel spins as you get close to actually tightening it all the way down. The gap is miniscule but noticeable. This also causes a problem trying to remove it... The barrel often just spins instead of unscrewing the atty.. Please, council of vapor if you're listening... Put a ......n notch on this thing like the velocity RDA where it snaps and locks into place with the airflow lined up to the coils. This way, screwing and unscrewing the atty is no problem, and it never gets misaligned when adjusting the actual airflow. NOBODY EVER LINES UP AIRFLOW ANY OTHER WAY. There's no reason not to have a locking barrel on an RDA.

So, in conclusion...

I give the ROYAL HUNTER an 8/10

Pros:

Perfect flavour
Huge clouds
Attractive
Price point
Large deck
Nice proprietary drip tip

Cons

Proprietary drip tip can get hot
Grub screws are hex. Should be Philips.
Barrel doesn't lock into place
Pin connection isn't great,doesn't always sit flush
Somewhat shallow juice well
Leaks if you fill it with the airflow open

Hope this helps some of you considering the RH. If I missed anything, let me know.

Last edited:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Been using the Royal Hunter (full size) for about a month now and I thought I'd give an unbiased review on what is currently my favourite RDA in terms of actual vaping enjoyment. It can be run in single or dual coil mode. Very versatile.

Setup:

Royal Hunter RDA
Dual coil (spaced), SS 316L @ 0.34 ohms
Joyetech cuboid
Running SS TC @450F, 50w

So... First thing is first.. Gotta be one of the nicest looking drippers on the market. Very sleek and classy looking, it catches your eye without looking gawdy.

Second, tons of room on the build deck, a huge plus. My only gripe with the deck is the grub screws. If this thing used Phillips head screws like the Mutation X, it would be near perfect. The only other thing might be to offer a version with a velocity style deck for those that prefer it. I like the split post now that I'm used to it.

Having said that, the juice well is a bit shallow. This actually isn't a huge problem for me but for some it might be.

Drip tip. I love it, and I love the honeycomb spitback guard. It can get overheated if you have the brass top cap like I do... But I like the look of brass, so I deal with it. If you don't like the drip tip, it comes with a 510 adapter.

Airflow/flavour. This is subjective, but it is the perfect combination of airflow and flavour for me. Other similar attys have more airflow (Mutation X v4) but literally have zero flavour for me.

Let me be clear here.. I actually prefer my flavour to be a little more mellow. The RH delivers a super smooth hit without overpowering your palate while chucking huge clouds if you leave the airflow wide open. I wouldn't say the flavour is muted, so much as it delivers a TRUE flavour, bringing all the different complexities of your juice to your palate without overloading it. The RH does NOT NEED BOTTOM AIRFLOW. Are you listening, Council of vapor? If you plan on making a V2, I have other suggestions for this atty, but bottom airflow is NOT one of them! It's perfect as is.

Many people complain about this atty leaking, and if you don't think about the design, it certainly will... But here is how you SHOULD fill it.

DO NOT DRIP IN THIS ATTY WITH THE AIRFLOW OPEN. Because of the honeycomb spit guard, the juice doesn't always drip straight down into the centre of the well if you drip through it. It will run down the sides and ooze out the airflow.

CLOSE OFF YOUR AIRFLOW BEFORE FILLING. if you do this one step, you can literally pour juice in through the tip and it will not leak unless you overfill way too much.

Wait a few seconds for the juice to settle, gently blow into the honeycomb guard to clear any trapped juice, hold the barrel in place so you don't misalign the airflow and twist the top cap to open up your airflow again.

Pin. Well... Maybe it's my mods, but i bet it's not. The RH doesn't like to sit flush on either my cuboid of VF Lite unless I take the barrel off and really ream on it. And even more annoying, as you spin the atty on your device, the threading is a bit coarse, so the barrel spins as you get close to actually tightening it all the way down. The gap is miniscule but noticeable. This also causes a problem trying to remove it... The barrel often just spins instead of unscrewing the atty.. Please, council of vapor if you're listening... Put a ....... notch on this thing like the velocity RDA where it snaps and locks into place with the airflow lined up to the coils. This way, screwing and unscrewing the atty is no problem, and it never gets misaligned when adjusting the actual airflow. NOBODY EVER LINES UP AIRFLOW ANY OTHER WAY. There's no reason not to have a locking barrel on an RDA.

So, in conclusion...

I give the ROYAL HUNTER an 8/10

Pros:

Perfect flavour
Huge clouds
Attractive
Price point
Large deck
Nice proprietary drip tip

Cons

Proprietary drip tip can get hot
Grub screws are hex. Should be Philips.
Barrel doesn't lock into place
Pin connection isn't great,doesn't always sit flush
Somewhat shallow juice well
Leaks if you fill it with the airflow open

Hope this helps some of you considering the RH. If I missed anything, let me know.

The only thing missing is pictures. ;) Good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread