Riva 510 Cartridge filling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured this would be the best place to ask...

Today I got my Riva 510 Lite bundle from liberty-flights, and it's great.
But when looking around I see videos and such describing the "condom" method. These videos have a different cartridge then I do. Those carts are round on both sides, whereas mine is more oval (two flat edges) on the battery side.
I'm wondering is this is the reason why the condom method doesn't work. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Perhaps it's the filling...
Is the filling that comes with it the optimum type of filling for a cart, or do I have other options? If so, what options do I have.

I mean what I do at this point is simply take the cart, remove the condom and drip into the carts filling drop by drop giving it time to sink in. I'm able to add anywhere from 15 to 20 drops before it looks flooded. So 15 to stay safe.
I'm doing that the right way aren't I?

Am I correct in assuming that that condom method simply does not work with these carts?

Are the users of the Riva 510 that browse this forum using the default cart with default filling, or did you "upgrade" to bigger and better things?

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
It sounds like you are confusing a cart (cartidge, what you have) with a carto (cartomizer, what you don't have). The carto has the atomizer built into it, along with filler material to hold the liquid. You use the condom method for filling those. You fill carts by dripping liquid into the filler of the cart, then attach it to the atty (atomizer). While on the subject of cartos, I recommend buying some 510 2.0 ohm cartos, which will probably be a big step up from carts. Most people have given up on carts, and either drip directly into the atty, for 10 great hits or so, or they get into the excellent world of cartos. A box of 5 cartos will last a while and cost about $8. I think you will love them...and you will get to do the condom filling method on the right thing!

Sallana

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
the North Pole
www.lynnekirsch.com
Okay.... I had this issue when I first started too.

There are Cartridges, and there are Cartomizers. I think you are getting the two confused.

The 'condom fill' method is something that is pretty much Cartomizer-specific. A cartomizer is a little more difficult to fill because the filling itself is packed tighter and of a different material most of the time. A cartridge is usually extremely simple, and yes.. dripping until it looks full is precisely how you fill a Cartridge.

Specifics of a Cartomizer:

It is a unit which contains a heating coil and filler for wicking the juice to those coils. It's something of an 'all-in-one' unit, they are usually cheaper and therefore more disposable than an Atomizer. With a battery this is considered a 2 piece unit.

How to fill a Cartomizer:
The condom method is pretty popular.
A syringe.
Dripping.

Specifics of a Cartridge:

A cartridge is a piece of plastic filled with fluval (white fluffy stuff) which fits into an atomizer. When the fluval is saturated with e-juice, it surrounds the Atomizer bridge and wicks the juice to the atomizer. With a battery this is considered a 3 piece unit.

How to fill a Cartridge:
Never the condom method.
Dripping.
A Syring.
Some people use a coffee stir-er.

There are tons of cool mods for cartridges if you browse around the modders forums. There are ways to use the cartridge without filling, how to make it wick better and have nice airflow.

Most people just ditch the cartridge entirely, get a drip tip and directly drip. But I can see the attraction of a cartridge.

I wasn't sure which one you actually had. So I hope I did a good job explaining the specifics of each for you.

Take care now.

Bye bye then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread