Rhodium plating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can be a little OCD when it comes to minimizing and maximizing performance so what it comes to mech mods, I really like to tinker. With that said, I was wondering if Rhodium plated contacts are worth the investment? A local shop is offering for guys to have their mods set up with rhodium plating to help with conductivity. The cost isn't too high, but I was just wondering if it's really going to give me more than what I already have.

Lex0r

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2012
Los Angeles
I can be a little OCD when it comes to minimizing and maximizing performance so what it comes to mech mods, I really like to tinker. With that said, I was wondering if Rhodium plated contacts are worth the investment? A local shop is offering for guys to have their mods set up with rhodium plating to help with conductivity. The cost isn't too high, but I was just wondering if it's really going to give me more than what I already have.

The only reason rhodium plated contacts would have "better" conductivity is because they can't oxidize. So the advantage to you will be that you won't ever need to polish it because it can not oxidize, like brass does. Brass starts oxidizing immediately after a proper polish, but still remains a great conductor if properly maintained. I'd say if the price is reasonable, go for it.

What the Rhodium plating will do is just lower the voltage drop caused by the contacts in your current mech mod. Which really just means that it will allow more voltage to actually reach your atty and in turn produce a hard hit. Also, according to the shop that I talked to about it, the rhodium plating comes with a lifetime warranty and the need for cleaning the contacts is drastically lowered if not removed from the maintenance completely.

What mod are you thinking about getting it done on?

good point, I forgot to ask that. If it's silver, don't touch it! Likely brass or copper though.

Rhodium has a lower resistance than silver and with electricity using the path of least resistance it's not going to be going through the silver unless it has to. The plating is beneficial no matter what, just not really needed with silver contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread