Review of the 8084- with comparisons to a Blu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikko Daniels

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2009
Akron, Ohio -USA
So last Thursday I recieved a package ordered two days prior from www.goodprophets.com that contains some replacement parts and a brand-new 8084 ecig starter kit.

The first thing I notice about the 8084 is the packaging.... NICE! Professional and CLEAN.... :cool:
8084-011.jpg

I open the outer package and notice a really sharp-looking aluminum cigarette pack, which is NOT a PCC but just a VERY nice case. The quality of fit and finish is SUPERB...
The logical thing to do would be to compare it to the Blu...
8084-012.jpg

To open the lid of the 8084 pack there is a spring-loaded hinge that is released on the side of the pack...
8084-013.jpg

Inside is contained everything you need to get started with the 8084: the complete ecig, four cartridges of differing nicotine content(high, medium, low and zero nic) and the USB charger which, by the way, charges equally as well connected to your computer or to a wall adapter that accepts USB (the one that comes with the Blu or one that comes with an iPhone).
8084-014.jpg

Pull everything out of the pack and this is what you get:
8084-015.jpg

Here's a close-up of the atomizer...
8084-016.jpg

...and a shot of the 8084 atomizer on the left, and the Blu atomizer on the right...
8084-017.jpg

This thing is SMALL, tinier than the Blu...
8084-018.jpg

So the first thing to do is to charge the battery fully....
..Once that's done, I pull out a the medium cartridge, pull off the lid and place it in the empty mouthpiece.
It slides right down to the end, with no assistance needed from the paper clip I had ready to use...
Put it together and notice the battery LED lights up.... this thing is sensitive, just as sensitive as the Blu if not more..

First couple puffs are a bit disappointing, but that's pretty much the case with EVERY ecig I've tried out so far.
After about 4 or 5 puffs, things have changed significantly! This tiny little ecig produces a nice amount of vapor! :shock:
Not much throat hit, but a nice amount of vapor...

Since I intended to compare it to the Blu, I figured I would have a level playing field by starting with fully charged batteries and a freshly filled cart for each ecig. I used RY4 juice, which is one of my favorites and is well-known to produce plenty of vapor and flavor.

Well, both of these little ecigs can produce a nice amount of vapor for a few to several puffs before things start to taper off.. and both can leave you with a bit of juice in your mouth if you top off the carts a bit too much and pull too hard...

Neither one provides me the throat hit I'm used getting while using a 901 or 510.... This was to be expected... after all, these are both VERY small ecigs... So, throat hit is about even with both the 8084 and Blu. Vapor production is also about the same, which I found surprising, considering the smaller size of the 8084 :) Actually I would give the vapor production edge to the 8084 as when the bulk of the cart has been wicked, the 8084 is still producing decent vapor when the Blu peters out...

Since they both have a similar atomizer design with the exposed wick, they are both outstanding for either dipping or dripping.

The battery life of the Blu is nothing to write home about, as is well-known, but the little 8084 does at least as well if not a little better.

The 8084 I tested was a starter kit, only $27 SHIPPED :shock:
BUT it only came with 1 battery, 1 atomizer, 4 filled carts and a USB-only charger...

Replacement attys are $10 for the 8084, $10 for 2 from Blu (IF you can WAIT long enough to get them... )
Replacement batteries are $13 for the 8084, $10 for the Blu ( again, IF you can WAIT long enough to get one... )

So the end result of my findings is that both ecigs are equally competent at the task for which they were designed, BUT...

The 8084 is IN STOCK and the shipping from Good Prophets is AMAZINGLY FAST, and FREE for orders over $20. :shock:
The Blu is or isn't in stock, depending on who you talk to, shipped for FREE and FOR SURE your shipping will be agonizingly SLOW.... :nah:

The Blu is probably a better overall value, with the PCC, the 25 carts, the extra battery... BUT...

If you bought the 8084, an extra battery, 30ml of some EXCELLENT JUICE from GP, you'll have spent $54 and have a LOT longer use than the Blu with its 25 carts..... and I believe there WILL be a PCC available for it sometime soon....

So if you normally smoked full-flavor cigarettes, will either of these do the job for you? Probably not, unless you want to use the dripping or dipping method. Get a 510 or maybe a 901 instead would be my suggestion.

If you smoked light cigs, will either of these do the job for you? Maybe yes, maybe no.... use dipping or dripping, no problem.. But the 8084 would be a better bet for you, IMHO...

If you smoked ultra-light cigs, no problem. Either of these ecigs will take care of you.

That's it.

THE END :rolleyes:

Last edited:

dirt2suck

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Ephrata PA USA
Nikko,

WOW, thanks for the nice review and comparison-wasnt expecting this much.
Excellent write up and very nice pics.

Give some time for the 8084 mini atomizer to break-in, and maybe give a quick update.
I say this because I vap on the 8084 from time to time, and it puts out a bit more vapor then it did in the beginning. I would also think that the blu atom was broken in too.
It takes a little longer drag, but puts out almost the same amount of vapor as a 901 - not the same but almost.

Again much thanks...

Rob

Stehle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2009
Sunny Florida! U.S.A.
Thanks, jhronk :cool:

After puffing on the 8084 a bit more, I'm more and more impressed with it, as compared to the Blu..... actually getting some throat hit and a lot more vapor :)

EXCELLENT Review Nicco! :) Great photos and the comparison to the Blu was superb! :pop:

As many well know I'm a die hard 8084 fan, (Rob sold me my first!).

The 8084, also known as a DSE084, DSE084a, DSE084b, DSE084-1 or the DSE084-1-1 with perhaps a few more variants for packaging and starter kits, are known for a short life batteries, (given its relative size of course). hence the real need for a PCC.

I have always considered it a realistic diamond in the rough that packs a mean vapor wallop! :shock: I do use 510's (Titan & Joye) by the computer for everyday use, but for those "special" moments or if I head out a couple of 8084's always accompany me! :) (They are so damn realistic!!!)

My friends & family prefer the 8084 for flavor and realism to any of the other e-cigs I have in my arsenal! (5 different models!)

I also wait with topped up carts to vape on the new 8084 PCC! :thumbs:

Oh... this photo of a 8084 PCC was sent to me email a few nights ago:

38999105.jpg

Sweet huh? Perhaps not the finished product...but I have my fingers crossed for something! :thumb:

(Anyone that may like to talk more 8084 stuff, like mods and such, please feel free to PM me!) :)

Last edited:

dirt2suck

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Ephrata PA USA
Stehle,

You now just gave me more work!

Now I have to contact all my suppliers to find it....
I will actually put off getting the 401 in stock, to get the 8084mini PCC.

I did get two samples that I thought was the PCC, after thats what they told me it was.
After fetting them, they are just 8084 mini's, but the batt sits in the pack to charge, just like the pic you have posted. The are still quality 8084, but still searching for the PCC.

If there is one, I will find it tonight!

PM or I will PM you later, about this.

Thanks for the heads up!

Rob

Last edited:

Nikko Daniels

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2009
Akron, Ohio -USA
Nice review Nikko.
I have an 8084 and "the Other" and I agree with your review. The battery on the 510 is Poor, but even worse on the other 2. A PCC for the 8084 would be great IMHO...

Burnie
Thanks Burnie.

I have to agree with most of what you said.... I GOTTA have a PCC for that 8084!:cool:

I would say calling the 510's battery "poor" is a bit unfair. Considering the size of that ecig, it puts out a GREAT amount of vapor, doesn't it? And it goes through quite a bit of juice much quicker than smaller ecigs (that vapor's gotta come from something...) so really, the shorter battery life is to be expected because of the higher performance, right??? Bigger battery is what the 510 needs ;)

By the way, this 8084 is producing much better vapor than my Blu is currently but I think the Blu's atomizer is dying a slow, agonizing death.....:rolleyes: It's really not much fun at the moment... :cry:

There seems to be a "sweet spot" in the 8084 cartridge where the first couple hits are OK but then it starts kickin' for several really good hits, then tapers off again. All my ecigs seem to be this way to some degree... ;)

Last edited:

Stehle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2009
Sunny Florida! U.S.A.
Stehle,

Thanks for the heads up!

Rob

Sorry Rob, You know how obsessed I can be about the 8084!! :)
Again, sorry for extra work.

(See what happens when I keep vaping your GP 36mg "Hilton"! Excellent!!) :hubba:

---------------------------------------------

Quote:by Nikko Daniels
Thank you Stehle :cool:
Man, I WANT one of THESE!!!!!
:w00t:

Nikko buddy, we all do! Patience, Rob is on the case! (No pun intended) ;)

--------------------------------------------

zero7starz
Quote:

It looks like the same/similar one that EastMall had for the 901. Does it say anywhere if its a cardboard design?

Hi zero7starz!

I was told it was a plastic inner shell and cardboard outer shell. (I believe I have one that looks similar for my M401 (Edit: Not a true PCC though.), with just the bottom 3/4 inside shell being plastic.) An adhesive clear or solid colored laminate can be put on the outside cardboard box to preserve or decorate this little jewel... wait I'm getting off topic here, better to discuss this in a cosmetic modders forum thread. Sorry! :confused:

Last edited:

dirt2suck

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Ephrata PA USA
Not if it costs more than the 510 PCC... :(
Metal box would be worth the wait... ;)

I did say it would cost ME more than the 510PCC,
but I would not sell it for more.
It would just be an item I have at cost.

Now, if the metal cost would be a few more $, than it might be worthy of spending a few more to get a durable PCC.

I was told that I would be getting an 8084 PCC sample...about 1 1/2 weeks, so I will have to review and test it.

I will also see if in the meantime, it may be able to be placed in the alum case of the kit. I am not sure why people think cheap materials is better for this...as a PCC , it would be handled almost everyday, and even abused by putting in pocket and being dropped. Why would you make it out of paper?

I do have 8084 mini kits that have the paper box. I have been testing them. They do work nicely, but I have not abused them, never took em out or etc. I do think they were made to keep the price down to attract new vaper's. I dont think they would be a worth while item to sell.
I do use them everyday.

Rob

roxinal

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2009
marshalltown iowa
Stehle,

Now I have to contact all my suppliers to find it....
I will actually put off getting the 401 in stock, to get the 8084mini PCC.

I did get two samples that I thought was the PCC, after thats what they told me it was.
After fetting them, they are just 8084 mini's, but the batt sits in the pack to charge, just like the pic you have posted. The are still quality 8084, but still searching for the PCC.

If there is one, I will find it tonight!

Thanks for the heads up!

Rob

Rob
I sure hope you do find the pcc for the 8084 and I will buy one for sure if you get them. that would be great. thanks on the headup for maybe getting one.
Roxanne(roxinal):)

roxinal

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2009
marshalltown iowa
I just found this, and so far it would cost me more than the 510 PCC

Also, the metal box is in the works, so maybe we might wait until then.

Do I need to take a poll? Would people like to have the paper sooner than waiting fo the metal PCC?

Rob

Hi Rob
I would rather wait for the metal pcc myself lol:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread