Reverse wick and coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dzaw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
New Hampshire
I was wondering if anyone has tried setting up a device where the wick surrounds the coil instead of the other way around. I am thinking of a setup where the air flow path comes through the hollow core of the coil, which is surrounded by a tube of woven wicking material (heck, even a small square of cotton t shirt rolled around the coil, open on both ends).

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Yep Dzaw... folks with Kayfun, Russian and clones (like crxess' Rocket) do vertical coils, centered over the atomizers air tube, with assorted wicking materials surrounding it, quite often. In fact, even taking new Kayfun/clone and new to RBA users into account I'd bet that 10-15% use or have tried a vertical coil.

devauto

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
NoVA
Yep Dzaw... folks with Kayfun, Russian and clones (like crxess' Rocket) do vertical coils, centered over the atomizers air tube, with assorted wicking materials surrounding it, quite often. In fact, even taking new Kayfun/clone and new to RBA users into account I'd bet that 10-15% use or have tried a vertical coil.

So theoretically, a rebuilt PT 2 coil with no wicking down the center, covered by a cotton (or silica) wick should work?

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va

Yes, between verticals and Dragon coils, I bet your number is about right....maybe a bit higher, even.

It's my preferred set up.

Tapped out

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
ok - so I don't feel so strange for thinking this might actually work.
Now to try it out...
There's no thinking to it chief... it's been done thousands of times already. :)

devauto said:
So theoretically, a rebuilt PT 2 coil with no wicking down the center, covered by a cotton (or silica) wick should work?
I'm not sure I follow your wording exactly, but if you mean can you do a vertical in a Kanger coil head - yes, I've done verticals in Kanger and even iClear 30 heads... but the latter was a real PITA and I did it only to see if it could be done.
Doing it on a Kanger head is actually pretty easy, as the drill bit (wire mandrel) drops right down the center of the coil head to maintain alignment while you wick it.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I'd have to see it in action on a Kanger head for that to make sense to me.

It just sounds like flood city in my mind.
The "top" coil tail gets bent at a 90 degree angle, so that it runs down the side, parallel to the coil... then it's just a basic Kanger tail pin install. As to wick... if you're using cotton - what I did was to make two 1.5" long wicks and route each one around opposite sides of the coil and out the wick slots. The coil gets surrounded, and you get two wicks sticking out of each side of the coil head cup.

I don't actually use clearos, I do this sort of thing for friends that do, that want to see what a low resistance Protank would be like... and out of general curiosity.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
That looks a lot more complex than the simple recoiling I have been doing. Also looks like it would be much easier to rewick down the road than trying to thread cotton through a horizontal coil! How are the vaping results using this kind of coil? Does this make for an "airier draw"?

Thanks for sharing!
My only response (well, as you can see below - not "my only response"), would be for you to try it and see for yourself. The ones I built were for friends who use clearos and glassomizers, and this was over a month ago. They have since learned how to build their own coils in that interim, and to my knowledge are still building vertical coils. I suppose that's some sort of endorsement... but secondary in nature.

In simple terms, the amount of air flow (in a draw) is determined by the smallest restriction orifice in an atomizer... and the restriction at the coil (for a typical clearo or glasso), is certainly not the smallest.
If you look at attys like the EVOD, T3S and other clearos, they are restricted by the visible holes in their respective bases. The PT is restricted by the holes in it's base as well, but that design, like a cartomizer, places them just above the 510 threads.
You can drill out any of these holes to, in some cases, dramatically increase the level of air flow. In fact, having experimented with a large number of atomizers, I can safely say that most issues with a "hard draw" can be easily corrected with a drill.

To put the vertical coil itself into perspective - there are thousands running vertical "micro" (ID less than 1/16") coils on Kayfun attys... with that coil completely surrounded by the wick. In these examples, the coil itself is, or equal to, the smallest restriction in the atomizer.
If one is to believe all the glowing testimonials, they work quite nicely, for if they did restrict flow, then those thousands of Kayfun users would still be using horizontal coils, myself included. ;-)

(never fails... what starts out as a single paragraph turns into 3 longer paragraphs. I am... a windbag)

Last edited:

Mark Howard

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
www.dreadysmodspa.com
My only response (well, as you can see below - not "my only response"), would be for you to try it and see for yourself. The ones I built were for friends who use clearos and glassomizers, and this was over a month ago. They have since learned how to build their own coils in that interim, and to my knowledge are still building vertical coils. I suppose that's some sort of endorsement... but secondary in nature.

In simple terms, the amount of air flow (in a draw) is determined by the smallest restriction orifice in an atomizer... and the restriction at the coil (for a typical clearo or glasso), is certainly not the smallest.
If you look at attys like the EVOD, T3S and other clearos, they are restricted by the visible holes in their respective bases. The PT is restricted by the holes in it's base as well, but that design, like a cartomizer, places them just above the 510 threads.
You can drill out any of these holes to, in some cases, dramatically increase the level of air flow. In fact, having experimented with a large number of atomizers, I can safely say that most issues with a "hard draw" can be easily corrected with a drill.

To put the vertical coil itself into perspective - there are thousands running vertical "micro" (ID less than 1/16") coils on Kayfun attys... with that coil completely surrounded by the wick. In these examples, the coil itself is, or equal to, the smallest restriction in the atomizer.
If one is to believe all the glowing testimonials, they work quite nicely, for if they did restrict flow, then those thousands of Kayfun users would still be using horizontal coils, myself [/I]

I was using that setup in may kfl+ for a couple weeks and was quite happy with it. I prefer an airier draw so that is what led me to building a vertical micro coil.

But then yesterday I tried something different that actually gives me more airflow, and it works much better for me. The Navy coil with cotton. Good YT vid around fir this build with silica.

uqedynab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread