Response to popvox opinion S. 1403, the "IDEA Full Funding Act,"

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragit

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2011
Wyoming
Dear Nicholas,

Thank you for contacting me about the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). It is good to hear from you.

I noted your comments and appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me about S. 1403, the "IDEA Full Funding Act," introduced by Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA). This legislation would reauthorize appropriations through Fiscal Year 2021 for state grant programs assisting children with disabilities. As you noted, this bill would be paid for through increased taxes on tobacco products.

As a physician, I certainly understand the harmful effects of smoking and tobacco use. Further, I am aware of the many challenges people face when attempting to quit. I believe it is important that the government not increase taxes on products that can help people stop smoking.

Currently, this legislation is pending before the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions. Please know that I will remember your concerns about the tax increases in this legislation should it come before the full Senate for consideration.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your views with me. I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

John Barrasso, M.D.
United States Senator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread