Replicate Pod Experience in an RTA Build.

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
Greetings everyone,

My daughter in-law has been vaping pod systems for several years. She was over for Memorial Day and, unfortunately, she had a pack of analogs with her. I asked her what was going on and she said that it got to the point where it was more expensive to vape than it was to smoke. I’ve let her hit my, modest, mods and DIY coils several times over the years and the reaction has always been that they are too harsh. My DIY coils are .5 Ohm twisted pair that I run at 19.5 watts on a Kanger Subtank RTA section. Even when I’ve turned down the wattage for her to try it’s still too harsh.

I’m looking to put together a build for her that would replicate, to the best of my ability, the experience of a pod system. I’m thinking a, single coil, 24 AWG Kanthal build around 1.5 Ohms at 10-15 watts would do the trick. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Any ideas on a build that I can put together on that RTA section that would fit the bill if the aforementioned build doesn’t?

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
For TC coil you're looking at stainless steel for the most common available, 316L will do at a pinch but 430 is better.

26AWG and at most 2.5mm ID, about 6 to 6½ wraps. That'll get around 0.5 to 0.6 ohms, but because stainless steel has a lower resistance the coil won't have a large mass at all.

Here's a link to zivipf, a good place to get various wire types including TC capable wires.

I can help you through it more when you've got the basics sorted.

But I was also thinking about the liquid as well, as disposables use high level nic salt liquid. Around 50-60 mg/ml, a great way to make people smoke more if they relapse.

Last edited:
Reactions: ruet

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
For TC coil you're looking at stainless steel for the most common available, 316L will do at a pinch but 430 is better.

26AWG and at most 2.5mm ID, about 6 to 6½ wraps. That'll get around 0.5 to 0.6 ohms, but because stainless steel has a lower resistance the coil won't have a large mass at all.

I can help you through it more when you've got the basics sorted.

Thanks again. I should be able to run with it from here.

But I was also thinking about the liquid as well, as disposables use high level nic salt liquid. Around 50-60 mg/ml, a great way to make people smoke more if they relapse.

Yeah, I think that's part of the problem. I only ever use freebase nic so that might be contributing to the harshness as well. Any experience with flavorless salt nic v. flavorless freebase? I'm going to look into buying bulk liquid for her.

Reactions: Mordacai

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
I'd say best idea would to either make a small batch of liquid or buy a small sized commercial one with nic salt, and also 70% VG.

That should be really smooth @ruet, and also keep initial costs down.

As for atomiser though, something kind of loose MTL/tight RDL that can be restricted more if needed.

And I've a little experience of salts, there's very little throat hit if any when compared to freebase.

But by all means let me know when you've got an atomiser built for TC and I'll help you through the settings you'll need to tweak on the mod, namely TCR and temperature.

Reactions: ruet

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
I'd say best idea would to either make a small batch of liquid or buy a small sized commercial one with nic salt, and also 70% VG.

That should be really smooth @ruet, and also keep initial costs down.

As for atomiser though, something kind of loose MTL/tight RDL that can be restricted more if needed.

And I've a little experience of salts, there's very little throat hit if any when compared to freebase.

But by all means let me know when you've got an atomiser built for TC and I'll help you through the settings you'll need to tweak on the mod, namely TCR and temperature.
Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it goes. I really hate seeing anyone go back to cigarettes.

Reactions: Mordacai

Users who are viewing this thread