Replacing the habit

Status
Not open for further replies.

OperationBrandon

Aug 31, 2016
Yo, has anyone got any advice on replacing the ritual/habit of smoking? I like rolling smokes, gives me something to do with my hands, and I like the fact that they have a beginning and an end - with vaping I tend to just keep going forever.

Has anyone had this problem? Got a solution? Other than taking up knitting or something.

Reactions: phonedude

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Hello and welcome! You can get into making your own coils and wicking, also DIY making your own ejuice. :) Lot's of threads and information on that here.
You took tge very words out of my Mouth.

Learning just how much cotton to shove in a coil is an art form.

Iron Molly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2010
State of Anxiety
When I first started, I had the same issue with continuously vaping, because a vape never goes out. I would vape until I gave myself a headache! In time you will adjust. I still vape quite a lot, but now take a hit or two and put it down. When I am home, I drip using an RDA. Gives you more to do since you have to stop to add more liquid.

phonedude

DIY Enthusiast
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2011
Kansas
I had the same experience. I really missed rolling cigarettes and just felt I should be doing it. Even after I stopped smoking them. :)

That was a while back before I began some of the activities mentioned above but I remember just spending lots of time on this forum. That really helped me fill the time.

Welcome and good luck with your journey.

subwayaznm

A Geek with a Cool slice
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2016
USA
Welcome to ECF, and I've found getting up and doing a chore when I wanted a smoke and or walking around the outside of the house. I also have a Model Train Hobby and can get up and do something with it to distract. Doesn't always have to be Vape or smoke related but you are correct it indeed has to be something to distract and replace.

Reactions: DC2

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
I'd agree with Iron Molly. What nic strength are you vaping? Too low and you will just keep vaping constantly to cure that craving. Raise it up and you'll soon find there is a limit to which you can literally stomach, not to mention the quick onset of a headache, and that will have you put the vape down quick enough. It also has the added advantage of taking away any desire, at that moment, to smoke analogs.

As to how you want to keep your hands & mind busy well there's no lack of options there and the folks suggesting getting into rebuilding atty's have a good idea for one and if that gets boring there's always DIY juice.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Yo, has anyone got any advice on replacing the ritual/habit of smoking? I like rolling smokes, gives me something to do with my hands, and I like the fact that they have a beginning and an end - with vaping I tend to just keep going forever.

Has anyone had this problem? Got a solution? Other than taking up knitting or something.
You won't like this, but I do have a solution to all the problems you mention...

I drip on a 510 atomizer.
It replicates the ritual of taking out a smoke and lighting it.
And it provides a natural beginning and end.

It's been working for me for over 7 years now.
But I'm apparently the only one.
:laugh:

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
I used to do origami at work during long boring meetings that I didn't want to attend anyway ...

I would pop Hall's cough drops and make entire scenes with the paper wrappers, one of my favorites was a dragon stomping on running peasants, or animals with missing parts, crashed airplanes, anything bizarre or disturbing ...

It drove the managers crazy, but they just couldn't bring themselves to say anything, it would have made them look petty and childish. I'm sure there are references in my HR file ...

Probably one of the many reasons that they "retired" me ... :laugh:

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
It takes a while for the hand ritual to be replaced by vaping. Almost 2 year in and a box mod feels as comfortable in the hand as a smoke ever did.

I highly recommend building on a mech with an RDA. Forces you to build good coils and check ohms properly with a meter. Plus it keeps you busy. At least it did me when I first started. Plus the massive hit you get from a solid build will make you put it down after a couple draws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread