Reo Grand doesn't cut it for Sub Ohm Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I do not vape sub ohm so I cannot comment on that. However, I do have an issue with the comments about how you are not happy with Rob's customer service in a thread that he is not allowed to reply in. I know that a first you said that his customer service was decent, but in the later posts when you are replying you are complaining about the customer service you recieved. I think that once you start making those comments they should be in a forum where he can respond, negative reviews or in the Reo forum, and link it to this thread. I know I would be extremely frustrated if I could not respond to complaints (I am in wholesale sales in a different industry).

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
So, since you haven't said you used the Noalox I can only assume you didn't. This makes all your data questionable.

Happy Vaping!
The unit that I received had been RMA'd to ReoMods and thoroughly inspected by them.
In my conversation they said that the performance on this unit was typical. Rob never suggested Naolox.

I have an open mind, if you show me a Reo Grand performing on a .5 Ohm Atomizer at 1/2 a volt higher
because Nalox is used, why than I would have to change my review.

Last edited:

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
I'm glad that I have Super_X_Drifter on my ignore list which means I can't see his posts. He probably wrote something above that was really ignorant.

I'm not really interested in what he has to say.

Then you can add me to your ignore list also. I use a 0.9 ohm micro coil on my reo and have had great success. Good luck with your 15 minutes of fame.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
July 10, 2013. That's two days away. I'm not impatient (always); but I can't wait that long to make my contribution to this, here, thread.

↑ that's the day the mailman says I'm gonna get my 2nd REO Grand. As it happens, said Grand is the exact same unit, TomZ, which you returned. It was yours, and now it's mine. When I read your post and watched . . . . . well . . . . . . parts of your video, I contacted Rob (@ reosmods.com) and insisted that he sell me THAT mod. (So that's twice he's gone above and beyond the call in customer service: reimbursing you for yours, and selling me reconditioned product, because I asked.) Admittedly, it's not the same guts; as reading in your OP and talking to Rob when buying it, I gather you'd fried the thing 3 times. Collapsed the spring and melted the button.

I am a devout subΩ vaper. In fact, these days, I vape subΩ Micro-coils ranging from 0.5-0.8Ω. I've been doing just that for about 2 months on my REO Grand (which, by the way, super_X_drifter sent me in the mail, with no strings attached, just to have a toot and see what I think. Thanks again, Supe!) I came to the Grand from vaping subΩ on the Natural mech. and the Mech. Smoktech Telescope (the one which held #1 position in pbusardo's voltage-drop tests until just recently - still in the top three). BTW: both these mech.s had all contacts sanded down to brass. I notice little to no difference in the quality of my vape between these mods and the REO. Perhaps one or two tenths of a point; but this is mostly dependent on how clean my contacts are (including 510 and atty). And that goes for any and all 3 of these mods.

I do find that the intense vaping I do does require the best performance that a mod has to offer; and, over time, I've come to know what my mods need, each has it's own requirements. With the REO mech.s, this would be the tip of the firing pin. It is h3ll-o effective; but it all comes down to the fact that the current is passed through a single point (not scientifically, just colorfully). The tip of that firing pin needs to be: clean, free of oxidization, and straight. Having watched the pertinent parts of your video, having watched the performance of my REO (maintained and not), and having blown some serious farking clouds out of that dear mod of mine, I have come to the conclusion (albeit one of pure supposition, or -meh- an educated guess) that your firing pin was not in good working order. Be it simply that it needed a quick scratch with a file or emery board and a dab of noalox, or perhaps it was a tad mushed and bent; something was amiss.

And that's all good and fine. I am upset, however, by the fact that you purported to have done some kind of "scientific study" of the REO, and produced results as incorrect as your video vape was anemic. I am of the mind that, TomZ, having a metering device doth not quite a scientist make.

Will report back when I'm happily bowing clouds out of my much abused, wrongfully maligned, but (thank the lord . . . well, Rob, actually) resurrected and newly adopted REO Grand.

Last edited:

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
I do not vape sub ohm so I cannot comment on that. However, I do have an issue with the comments about how you are not happy with Rob's customer service in a thread that he is not allowed to reply in. I know that a first you said that his customer service was decent, but in the later posts when you are replying you are complaining about the customer service you recieved. I think that once you start making those comments they should be in a forum where he can respond, negative reviews or in the Reo forum, and link it to this thread. I know I would be extremely frustrated if I could not respond to complaints (I am in wholesale sales in a different industry).

Do you realize how ridiculous what you said is?
I stated average or adequate customer service and you are fighting with me because I didn't say that his service is great.
Ridiculous.

Chiku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Just some quick responses.

1. I stayed clear of the customer service issue but since you think it's stellar, I'll explain why it's not.
When I had a problem with another bottom feeder the vendor "Call Tagged " the unit. That is stellar customer service. The Reo Arrived defective I returned it on my own dime and it was sent back to me. Robert does not do call tags. That is average customer service on an above $100.00 unit. He did return it to me very fast.

2. The Reo does not have a disclaimer that it is not suitable for Sub Ohm Vaping. Some other companies have disclaimers about this. The Reo has a real flaw that I've documented and was not disclosed to me as a customer.
If the Reo Website had a disclaimer that the REO is not for Vaping sub ohm than I would not have a leg to stand on.

In my opinion the assumption that a "Mechanical" would be vapable at .5 Ohm is perfectly reasonable.

3. In terms of Refund, I spent over $180.00 on my purchase. When the Reo arrived defective, I used the rebuild kit to rebuild it. Also bought around $10.00 to $20.00 in extra bottles. All were returned except the rebuild kit. I was refunded $140.00 he kept the unused bottles and didn't refund them along with not refunding the rebuild kit that was used to try to fix the faulty APV. [He Stated that there was a problem with the unit initially] He also did not reimburse the freight for the first return that was due to a defective unit.

Excellent customer service would have been to refund the complete $180.00. Good customer service would be to to refund somewhere in the middle. Decent customer service was to make a partial refund, which he did. Poor customer service would have been not to do a refund, after a customer demonstrated that the product has a flaw that wasn't disclosed and affects the usability of the product.

No I don't feel that his customer service was above decent. I have documented a reasonable reason for the return.

Do you realize how ridiculous what you said is?
I stated average or adequate customer service and you are fighting with me because I didn't say that his service is great.
Ridiculous.

I am not trying to fight with you, i don't understand how you can say that i am trying to fight with you becasuse you didn't say his customer service wasn't great? You said that you do not feel that you were credited enough money. That is a complaint. All I said that it should be posted in a forum where Rob can respond. In this sub forum he can't.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
I am not trying to fight with you, i don't understand how you can say that i am trying to fight with you becasuse you didn't say his customer service wasn't great? You said that you do not feel that you were credited enough money. That is a complaint. All I said that it should be posted in a forum where Rob can respond. In this sub forum he can't.
According to the Dictionary the definition of complaint is "A statement that a situation is unsatisfactory or unacceptable."

I stated " Decent not Stellar", I did not say poor or bad. Where is the complaint?

I'm entitled to my opinion as is Rob. He handled the situation as he saw fit and my opinion is that it was decent but not stellar.

He will not change my mind and I'm sure I won't change his.
It's done and over.

In the interest of Fairness, if Rob thinks he gave me stellar service and would like to PM me or email me and invite me to post in the Reo Forum. I'd be happy to do it.

But I don't think he will, if he has read this thread so far, he's probably horrified at the behavior of some of his supporters. Really doesn't reflect well on him and his company.

Last edited:

Ryan1888

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2013
Glasgow
This thread has just made me want a Reo more
Argue away folks..

Bottom line is that if you dont like the performance of the device at a certain ohm level then just move on. It is apparent that there is a plethora of individuals who love the Reo at both sub and plus 1 ohm.

Can't we all just agree to disagree?

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
i find it a tad odd that OP did not ask a question in the Reo subforum before his purchase.

i don't think it's a stretch to say that sub-ohm vaping could be considered leading, if not bleeding, edge.

i also don't think it a stretch to say that anyone with 1200 ECF posts would have a decent picture of how helpful and active that forum is and how available the owner is.

so, i find it a tad odd that an objective and "scientific"-minded person making a major purpose would neglect that somewhat obvious step.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
I looked in the Forums and never saw a mention that the REO wouldn't perform in Sub Ohm Vaping.
Is it odd to assume that if no one has complained with so many users out there that there is no problem.

To me a Mechanical is for Sub Ohm Vaping, It doesn't make sense for a individual who is vaping above an Ohm or 1.4 Ohm
to use a mechanical when the VV is so much better.

From the flames that I've seen in this post. A post where I state my opinions and back them up with a video. I can understand why individuals are scared to post anything negative about the Reo Grand.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
This thread has just made me want a Reo more
Argue away folks..

Bottom line is that if you dont like the performance of the device at a certain ohm level then just move on. It is apparent that there is a plethora of individuals who love the Reo at both sub and plus 1 ohm.

Can't we all just agree to disagree?
Ryan I'll end my contribution to the post with your line above.

I agree to disagree.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I looked in the Forums and never saw a mention that the REO wouldn't perform in Sub Ohm Vaping.
Is it odd to assume that if no one has complained with so many users out there that there is no problem

To me a Mechanical is for Sub Ohm Vaping, It doesn't make sense for a individual who is vaping above an Ohm or 1.4 Ohm

From the flames that I've seen in this post. A post where I state my opinions and back them up with a video*. I can understand why individuals are scared to post anything negative about the Reo Grand.

There is no problem . . . . . . . with the REO, and subΩ vaping . . . . . . . . . . . . . the "problem" lies elsewhere.

*the idea of your video lending legitimacy to your opinion is a bit . . . . . . . . well . . . . . . . myopic.

Last edited:

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
Is it odd to assume that if no one has complained with so many users out there that there is no problem.

From the flames that I've seen in this post. A post where I state my opinions and back them up with a video. I can understand why individuals are scared to post anything negative about the Reo Grand.

Still strange that you never asked a question, but obviously we agree to disagree on that.

Perhaps I read the thread too quickly, but i only recall one real flame that i thought was over the top.

It's also a bit over the top to assert that ANYONE would be scared to post a negative review. What on earth would cause anyone to be scared? C'mon, get real. super-X's avatar was just an avatar. Nothing to get scared about :)

Me, I've only had a Reo for a week or so, so I'm hardly a fanboy. And I'm having problems with cartos and attys-- the ones you said worked fine, but weren't for you. In other words, even though I don't do sub-ohms, my current Reo experience might actually be worse than yours. But nobody having problems with Reos "fears" admitting they have problems and then asking questions, the sum total of which bear more real weight than any review negative or positive. I suspect I'm just not used to bottom-feeders, and once I've done a few more objective tests, I'll ask a question or two.

All that said, I still find your review a tad odd.

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
Just because a device is a mech, that doesn't mean it was designed for super sub ohm vaping. I say super sub-ohm because not everyone is into mid to low sub-ohm vaping. The way I see it, super sub-ohm vaping is a sport, who can get the lowest resistance & the densest cloud. What size air hole are you running on a .5 ohm build, at least 1/8", 2 x 3/32", 2x 1/8"? IMHO there's no point in running resistance down to .5 & lower if you are not vaping with massive air holes, direct lung hits, cotton, & have an army of AWs or MNKE's at your disposal. Otherwise your's just wasting energy.

I vape cause I enjoy the satisfaction of vaping & not smoking analogs. I wouldn't want to be out all day carring all that crap to drip, to blow massive huge clouds, & make a scene. Sure I don't mind & do get the urge to blow thick clouds occassionaly but that "sport" is only at home. The community doesn't need to see stuff like this publically & start thinking things about vapers, we're already being targeted as it is.

As the OP states, that the Reo was designed two years ago & does not perform to his quality of sub-ohm vaping, how does that classify the Reo as being defective? Who the hell was running .5 ohm coils back then? When the Reo was designed I'm sure Robert did not have super sub-ohm vaping as feature of the Reo. So the Reo is defective cause it has not been updated for 2 years you say for sub-ohm vaping? What makes you think Robert had any intention of doing so? Robert created the Reo because he felt like there were no other quality bottom feeders on the market at the time & IMHO there still aren't any bottom feeders currently on the market that are on par. He wanted something that is reliable, rock solid, & could be used daily & all day. I will say he has done quite a good job of meeting that criteria. I assume you have no experience in machining, I do & I can appreciate the quality of design & machining that went into a Reo, might look simple to most but it very well thought out. You know the saying, if it ain't broke, why fix it?

So all mechs were designed for sub-ohm vaping huh? I have no idea when the first mech was made but I strongly believe the first mechs were made to avoid high cost & offer a more affordable alternative to regulated devices. When the first mechs came out, were people vaping sub-ohm, were there that many RBAs on the market then? So you purchased a mech with the intention of super sub-ohm vaping & assumed because it's a mech that it should handle .5 ohm coils without issue? Sorry bud, but that is no one's fault but yours. Remember, the Reo was made 2 years ago & has not been updated since & you knew that.

There are many mechs that do not perform well for sub-ohm vaping, are all those mechs sold with a disclaimer stating that they do not perform sufficently for super sub-ohm vaping? Honest question, I really don't know and I'm curious. Yes we all know now that Reos don't cut it for sub-ohm for your standards, again I highly doubt it was designed to be. Perfectly fine, a Reo is not for you, Boggers are your flavor, you should probably just stick with those tube mods that are capable & be done with the Reo preaching. I'm sure you have tests in your video that backs up your conclusions, that I won't comment about cause I have not watched your video & never will. I couldn't last for 1 min let alone 40 whole minutes. Wow I did not expect my post to be this long, I hate reading long posts, & I never post them, but in all equal fairness I don't blame you if you don't make it this far in my novel as I could not make it through your movie. :D

I wonder why this was not brought up & posted in the Reo forum? Doesn't seem like much traffic in this sub-forum, or was that intentional? Anyways no hard feelings from any of us Reonauts, hope you find the next best thing that you desire.

In before the lock....do people still say that? Does that still happen? I wonder......

newplague

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2010
Oregon
Just because a device is a mech, that doesn't mean it was designed for super sub ohm vaping. I say super sub-ohm because not everyone is into mid to low sub-ohm vaping. The way I see it, super sub-ohm vaping is a sport, who can get the lowest resistance & the densest cloud. What size air hole are you running on a .5 ohm build, at least 1/8", 2 x 3/32", 2x 1/8"? IMHO there's no point in running resistance down to .5 & lower if you are not vaping with massive air holes, direct lung hits, cotton, & have an army of AWs or MNKE's at your disposal. Otherwise your's just wasting energy.

I vape cause I enjoy the satisfaction of vaping & not smoking analogs. I wouldn't want to be out all day carring all that crap to drip, to blow massive huge clouds, & make a scene. Sure I don't mind & do get the urge to blow thick clouds occassionaly but that "sport" is only at home. The community doesn't need to see stuff like this publically & start thinking things about vapers, we're already being targeted as it is.

As the OP states, that the Reo was designed two years ago & does not perform to his quality of sub-ohm vaping, how does that classify the Reo as being defective? Who the hell was running .5 ohm coils back then? When the Reo was designed I'm sure Robert did not have super sub-ohm vaping as feature of the Reo. So the Reo is defective cause it has not been updated for 2 years you say for sub-ohm vaping? What makes you think Robert had any intention of doing so? Robert created the Reo because he felt like there were no other quality bottom feeders on the market at the time & IMHO there still aren't any bottom feeders currently on the market that are on par. He wanted something that is reliable, rock solid, & could be used daily & all day. I will say he has done quite a good job of meeting that criteria. I assume you have no experience in machining, I do & I can appreciate the quality of design & machining that went into a Reo, might look simple to most but it very well thought out. You know the saying, if it ain't broke, why fix it?

So all mechs were designed for sub-ohm vaping huh? I have no idea when the first mech was made but I strongly believe the first mechs were made to avoid high cost & offer a more affordable alternative to regulated devices. When the first mechs came out, were people vaping sub-ohm, were there that many RBAs on the market then? So you purchased a mech with the intention of super sub-ohm vaping & assumed because it's a mech that it should handle .5 ohm coils without issue? Sorry bud, but that is no one's fault but yours. Remember, the Reo was made 2 years ago & has not been updated since & you knew that.

There are many mechs that do not perform well for sub-ohm vaping, are all those mechs sold with a disclaimer stating that they do not perform sufficently for super sub-ohm vaping? Honest question, I really don't know and I'm curious. Yes we all know now that Reos don't cut it for sub-ohm for your standards, again I highly doubt it was designed to be. Perfectly fine, a Reo is not for you, Boggers are your flavor, you should probably just stick with those tube mods that are capable & be done with the Reo preaching. I'm sure you have tests in your video that backs up your conclusions, that I won't comment about cause I have not watched your video & never will. I couldn't last for 1 min let alone 40 whole minutes. Wow I did not expect my post to be this long, I hate reading long posts, & I never post them, but in all equal fairness I don't blame you if you don't make it this far in my novel as I could not make it through your movie. :D

I wonder why this was not brought up & posted in the Reo forum? Doesn't seem like much traffic in this sub-forum, or was that intentional? Anyways no hard feelings from any of us Reonauts, hope you find the next best thing that you desire.

In before the lock....do people still say that? Does that still happen? I wonder......

Mic drop, walk away

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
oh, crap. darkz's post reminded me of a few things i forgot to add in my earlier post

>It doesn't make sense for a individual who is vaping above an Ohm or 1.4 Ohm

well, of course that is incorrect and misleading.

please correct me if if i am wrong (i am a mere lowly n00b after all) but wasn't / isn't the original and still primary point of mechs because of long-term reliability? no circuitry, no soldered parts, will survive the Zombie Apocalypse, yada yada. That (besides the fact that i think it's freakin beautiful) is why i own the exact same blue K100 in your video, along with my Grand. I received them both around the same time, but i suspect the Reo will survive a few more zombies... YMMV

and...

>Ryan I'll end my contribution to the post with your line above.

Sorry. I did not realize that you'd already turtled. My bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread