Removing chlorophyll from IPA extract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meierhans

Nov 20, 2017
Hello dear ECF community,
this might be my first post, but I have been reading along for years.

I recently did a 99% IPA extraction from my self grown nicotina rustica. Before soaking I froze the fresh leaves slowly to break the cell walls (very successful, I could spot the effect on the later dried leaves without microscope, the surface looked ruff, very different from the leaves I just dried). I planned to soak these leaves for 2 hours, but got distracted, so they where left over night.

After filtering the resulting liquid is of a very intense green, nearly looking artificial. So I pulled loads of chlorophyll as it seams. Do you know a way to get rid of some of this, without going the acid base route?

I don't mind loosing some nicotine, there should be loads of it inside, but I mind the taste of the green stuff, and the cloaking of the atty.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Hi @Meierhans welcome to the extraction forum!

I recently did a 99% IPA extraction from my self grown nicotina rustica.....
.....After filtering the resulting liquid is of a very intense green, nearly looking artificial.....

I had the opportunity to extract Nicotiana Rustica a coupe of years ago (using PGA) and it yielded an unusual green/tan hue that resembled a cigar extract but darker and opaque. NET made from the extract had a very different, unique flavor and aroma unlike any other tobacco I've tried.

Since it's poisonous/toxic when ingested or inhaled, are you planning to completely evaporate the IPA (Isopropyl alcohol) off?

.....So I pulled loads of chlorophyll as it seams. Do you know a way to get rid of some of this, without going the acid base route?.....

One of the benefits of using alcohol for the extraction solvent is that it allows for fractional freezing (freeze filtering). After the flavor extraction is complete remove/discard the tobacco, filter the extract through a coffee filter and place it in a sealed glass container. Place the sealed container in a freezer for 48 hours. While in the freezer most of the waxes, oils, chlorophyll and other gunk will precipitate out and coalesce in the bottom of the container. After 48 hours (and while still in the freezer) filter the extract through a coffee filter. Freeze filtering works well with PGA, it should work with IPA too but I'm not certain.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Thank you for your input. I used the IPA only for the first pull, it will be evaporated completly, remains will for sure be redissolved in PGA. I did first freezing already, did not get much out. Now letting half of IPA evaporate, doing a second freezing on it. I was just wondering if there was maybe a simple other way to get rid of the green.

None of the experiments I've conducted attempting to further "clean/purify" extract had any real impact on color. Good news is when it's mixed into NET (diluted) the color should be lighter and -far- less opaque.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread