regulated box mod for sub-ohm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oDANo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2013
VA
As the title states, I'm in search of a box mod for sub-ohm vaping. I was very close on pulling the trigger on an ipv Mini, but I noticed that the lowest it fires is 0.5, I know the ipv fires 0.1, and if I wasn't looking for something stealthy, I'd grab it. Does anyone have recommendations for:

-box mod
-stealthy
-single 18650 (possibly magnetic door)
-fires atleast 0.2ohm
-Under $80

oDANo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2013
VA
Why do you need a regulated mod that fires coils that low in resistance. One of the main benefits of a regulated mod is that you can reach higher watts with a higher resistance coil, avoiding the long heat up and cool down time of thicker wire/lower resistance coils.

I've never tweaked with regulated mods though, is it possible to "cloud chase" on an IPV mini for example? I've only had a MVP 2.0 and dznuts dna30 for my regulated devices, but I never really messed with too many coils back then.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Depends on what you mean by cloud chasing :) I use 25-28 watts on my RTAs, but with RDAs I prefer around 45 watts. I'm not really looking for huge clouds, though even the 25w setup will smog a room. Lowering the resistance doesn't really do much on a regulated mod. I commonly build in the 1 ohm range (dual coils), because that'll give me the right size coils with the 28-29 ga wire I prefer.

oDANo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2013
VA
I tend to usually just drip, like I said, I haven't messed with regulated too much, so I'm not sure what an ideal setup would be on a dark horse or doge. Really looking for a compact box under $100 though, maybe the IPV mini, not sure how it'd hit on 0.5ohms, I remember on my MVP, the more watts, the more burnt it taste haha

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I don't have a dark horse or doge, only a primitive patriot, a 454, quasar, tobh v2, and an Omega (which I don't use). The patriot has seen the most use lately, and it has a 1.1 ohm coil, 28 ga kanthal (if I remember correctly), and a 3.2 mm coil diameter. Works great on my zna50 clone, but my 30w mods don't quite drive it hard enough for my taste. Is the mini IPV a thirty watt device? 30w is certainly enough if you're getting a burnt taste with the MVP. Drippers should be able to handle much more than 11w though, so check your air flow and wicking.

cjpeltz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2014
United States
As the title states, I'm in search of a box mod for sub-ohm vaping. I was very close on pulling the trigger on an IPV Mini, but I noticed that the lowest it fires is 0.5, I know the IPV fires 0.1, and if I wasn't looking for something stealthy, I'd grab it. Does anyone have recommendations for:

-box mod
-stealthy
-single 18650 (possibly magnetic door)
-fires atleast 0.2ohm
-Under $80

Do not get the IPV Mini for sub ohm vaping. I have it and I like it. However, it has a tendency to read the ohms lower than actual. I have a ..5/.6 ohm coil on a Holmes RDA and the damn IPV Mini continues to read it as .3 -- which means it won't fire. It's a good mod for around the 1 ohm range, but it lacks a bit in power IMO compared to the Vaporsharks.

Get a Vaporshark - a DNA30 if your budget is limited to $100 -- but if you can swing it, the DNA 40 is a better buy as it has temperature controlled.

oDANo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2013
VA
Do not get the IPV Mini for sub ohm vaping. I have it and I like it. However, it has a tendency to read the ohms lower than actual. I have a ..5/.6 ohm coil on a Holmes RDA and the damn IPV Mini continues to read it as .3 -- which means it won't fire. It's a good mod for around the 1 ohm range, but it lacks a bit in power IMO compared to the Vaporsharks.

Get a Vaporshark - a DNA30 if your budget is limited to $100 -- but if you can swing it, the DNA 40 is a better buy as it has temperature controlled.

thanks for the response and information on the IPV Mini ! I was really looking into it, but as you stated it's not quite the best thing for sub-ohm. Yeah, I'm really trying to pick up the rDNA40, I really like all of the features, but the wait time is just a killer haha. Looking at the SX Mini and protovapor, but I really like the customer service and warranty of VS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread