Status
Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I have just written one of my state senators and intend to write more. I recommend everyone follow suit!

Dear Alberta,

I don't know if you remember me, but I used to be a member of the North Shore Rotary Club with you. You may remember that my late husband had MS?

I'm writing you because of a public health concern I would like to talk to you about. I would welcome a call from you, if possible.

The concern is electronic cigarettes.

You probably have very limited exposure to facts about these devices, as do most legislators. The FDA and several states are attempting to ban these life-saving devices, forcing thousands of smokers (who have successfully switched completely to these safer devices) back to smoking deadly tobacco cigarettes. The legislators of these states appear to be placing the health of their tax revenues over that of the health of their constituents.

My concern is that Wisconsin legislators will follow suit. Please don't let this happen in Wisconsin! If anything, propose a tax on the e-cigarettes, but by all means - don't ban them altogether!

I was a pack-a-day smoker until I switched to e-cigarettes in August. While I still receive a low dose of nicotine, I have now eliminated nearly all of the harmful toxins and high levels of carcinogens that I was inhaling with tobacco cigarettes. My husband, mother, brother, sister-in-law, niece (and her boyfriend) have also successfully switched to e-cigarettes. So have many of my smoking friends. No more smoker's cough, shortness of breath or second-hand smoke - these products are a godsend!

While the FDA released a statement denouncing them last year, they failed to mention that e-cigarettes contain no more carcinogens than nicotine gum or patches. They also did very limited testing on only 2 brands. There are other COMPLETE studies available that directly refute the FDA claims about e-cigarettes. A federal judge has recently ruled that e-cigarettes are a form of a "tobacco product," as they are not for quitting, necessarily, but as a less harmful alternative. The case is in appeals court.

The American Association of Public Health Physicians is endorsing the use of electronic cigarettes as a reduced harm alternative for those who can't or won't quit. They have recently petitioned the FDA to retract their deceiving statements and to reconsider their stance that these are drug devices vs. a safer alternative to tobacco cigarettes.

I am currently on the board of directors for the Consumer Advocates for Smokefree Alternatives Association (CASAA.org), because I believe so strongly in this product as a current and future lifesaver. My survey of over 1,000 e-cigarette users shows that over 90% of users are former smokers, over the age of 26 and report improved health because of the switch. Over 80% say they'd most likely go back to using tobacco (vs. quitting or using NRTs) if e-cigarettes are banned. We don't have time for the FDA to regulate these as drug devices - that will simply result in a defacto ban. As a tobacco alternative, they can remain available and continue to improve the health of current and former smokers, while being studied for safety. After 5 years on the world market, there have been no published reports of illness nor injury due to the proper use of these products.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Kristin Noll-Marsh

Last edited:

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
I would send it to mine but I haven't heard a thing hear in Washington and I don't want to give them any ideas. They come up with enough stupid ideas without me helping them. Besides they just raised the tabacco tax here not to long ago and they really love their sin tax in this state and I don't want to show any tax they're missing. As soon as I start hearing stuff I'll do it though.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I would send it to mine but I haven't heard a thing hear in Washington and I don't want to give them any ideas. They come up with enough stupid ideas without me helping them. Besides they just raised the tabacco tax here not to long ago and they really love their sin tax in this state and I don't want to show any tax they're missing. As soon as I start hearing stuff I'll do it though.

I'm sure Illinois, New York and Maryland thought they were safe, too. Who knows what they're doing behind closed doors.

Being proactive is better than reactive.

Just goes to show how important it is to get these classified as a tobacco product (much as we all hate that idea) as quickly as possible.

One question. Since tomatoes, potatoes and eggplants all contain nicotine and are consumed by humans, are they included in these bans? :rolleyes:
Those vegetables are approved by the FDA, so aren't a part of this proposal. Only non-FDA approved nicotine applies.

(So) Jersey Girl

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
South Jersey

(So) Jersey Girl

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
South Jersey
I don't understand what you're saying. Discouraging donations to which organization? And why?
Donations to the American Cancer Society. Don't you know money talks? And the last thing organizations like this want is word of mouth negative comments about them, even if it is true. ACS receives a lot of funding from BP but they also pull in a lot of money from donations individuals like you and me. They don't like losing that money.

martha1014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Delhi, LA USA
How does a state ban affect you. Can you still purchase them in another state and have them shipped to you. I realize it will stop suppliers that sell in that state (I assume) Are there any suppliers living in any of the state that are voting on banning ecigs. I do know of suppliers in Florida and Illinois but not sure about the other ones.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA

A few months ago, I would have agreed 100% with you . . . if my state doesn't have it on the radar, why in the world would I want to poke the sleeping bear? However, that was before I realized that the American Lung Association, the American Cancer Society, and other "charities" were sending PAID LOBBYISTS out to troll the halls of various state legislatures in their pharma-funded efforts to stamp out e-cigs:

The bill, now pending in the House, would require that any product that delivers nicotine (but isn’t tobacco) can’t be sold in Illinois until the Federal Food & Drug Administration has approved it. Since the FDA hasn’t approved them and doesn’t appear likely to, the bill would effectively outlaw the product in Illinois.

I saw my first electronic cigarette earlier today at the Statehouse, when I ran into American Lung Association lobbyist Kathy Drea, who was a key player in getting the state implement its 2008 indoor smoking ban. When I asked her what she was up to this session, she whipped out one of these e-cigs.

It looks like a toy cigarette, with the same shape and colors, and a clear plastic tip that glows when you use it. You draw in on it and, when you blow out, you actually expel visible vapor. (Or so I’m told. When I wondered aloud whether I should try it, she said, “I wouldn’t,” so I didn’t.)
Phony cigarettes are a real threat, say Illinois health advocates | Political Fix | STLtoday

Illinois caught pretty much everyone by surprise. By the time it hit the radar of e-cigarette activists and proponents, the bill had already sailed through the Senate with only a few votes opposed. Feedback we're hearing from some who voted in favor of the Senate Bill is that they didn't really know about e-cigs and didn't realize that banning their sale would be controversial.

I cannot help but feel that if some of those Senators already knew some of the positives associated with e-cigarettes, the vote wouldn't have been a slam-dunk. Hopefully, by educating members of the Illinois House of Representatives, we'll avoid a similar result . . . but we're already behind the 8-ball. :(

Yes, it's a balancing act on whether or not to poke the sleeping bear . . . but I'm thinking that the bear isn't really sleeping any more. Maybe it's time we went on the offensive instead of the defensive.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
How does a state ban affect you. Can you still purchase them in another state and have them shipped to you. I realize it will stop suppliers that sell in that state (I assume) Are there any suppliers living in any of the state that are voting on banning ecigs. I do know of suppliers in Florida and Illinois but not sure about the other ones.

State bans affect all of us, even if we don't live in that state.

As you noted, e-cig businesses in the state itself will be put out of commission. That not only affects residents, but also non-residents as well.

Also, states on the warpath can become incredibly aggressive. For example, there are many suppliers who simply will not ship e-cig supplies to Connecticut because its Attorney General, Richard Blumenthal, has threatened NON-CONNECTICUT companies with all manner of dire consequences should they sell e-cigarettes to Connecticut residents.

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al

When I wrote to the ACS, i originally got back the same drivel that everyone is spouting about the "dangers" of e-cigs as told by the FDA. I responded with additional information and links to data. This was the second response:

"Thank you for your patience while we researched your question. According to our National Home Office in Atlanta, Georgia, the American Cancer Society has not taken a position on whether electronic cigarettes should be banned from the U.S. market. Again, we appreciate your comments on the topic and have forwarded them to the appropriate staff person for consideration.

Thank you for contacting your American Cancer Society."

I don't know if they're really listening or not, but perhaps more people contacting them will make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread