Recent News Articles/Stories: Cause of Vape Lung . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
There seems to be more and more News Articles/Stories concerning the actual causes of vape Lung. It is bad enough that most of the media, politician's and anti-zealots do not provide all the information - nor findings to the public. But when some of them do - it is only one or 2 lines buried in the report/article. However, recently there are more articles and news reports coming out mentioning that they are finding the cause is actually illegal THC that has been cut with vitamin e acetate and synthetic marijuana/CBD oils. But, these article/stories are "Hidden" in minor quick TV news-spots or in Newspapers. Today in the local paper - Sun Sentinel - they actually had an article by the Associated press in the Money Section (8 - B) of the newspaper:

CBD vapes illegally spiked with synthetic marijuana
Associated Press seeks to understand story behind Yolo

CBD vapes illegally spiked with synthetic marijuana
Associated Press seeks to understand story behind Yolo

IMG_CT-sc-biz-spiked-cbd_2_1_T762JHTF.jpg

A vape called Yolo containing synthetic marijuana appeared on shelves in Salt Lake City last year, sickening dozens. (Allen G. Breed/AP )
BY HOLBROOK MOHR

ASSOCIATED PRESS

CARLSBAD, Calif. — Some of the people rushing to emergency rooms thought the CBD vape they inhaled would help like a gentle medicine. Others puffed it for fun.

What the vapors delivered instead was a jolt of synthetic marijuana, and with it an intense high of hallucinations and even seizures.

More than 50 people around Salt Lake City had been poisoned by the time the outbreak ended early last year, most by a vape called Yolo — the acronym for “you only live once.”

In recent months, hundreds of vape users have developed mysterious lung illnesses, and more than 30 have died. Yolo was different. Users knew immediately something was wrong.

Who was responsible for Yolo? Public health officials and criminal investigators couldn’t figure that out. Just as it seemed to appear from nowhere, Yolo faded away with little trace.

As part of an investigation into the illegal spiking of CBD vapes that are not supposed to have any psychoactive effect at all, The Associated Press sought to understand the story behind Yolo.

The trail led to a Southern California beach town and an entrepreneur whose vaping habit prompted a career change that took her from Hollywood parties to federal court in Manhattan.

When Janell Thompson moved from Utah to the San Diego area in 2010, the roommate she found online also vaped. Thompson had a background in financial services and the two decided to turn their shared interest into a business, founding an e-cigarette company called Hookahzz.

There were early successes. Thompson and her partner handed out Hookahzz products at an Emmy Awards preparty, and their CBD vapes were included in Oscar nominee gift bags in 2014.

Indeed, Hookahzz was among the first companies to sell vapes that delivered CBD, as the cannabis extract cannabidiol is known. Now a popular ingredient in products from skin creams to gummy bears, cannabidiol was at that time little known and illegal in some states.

By autumn 2017, Thompson and her partner formed another company, Mathco Health Corp. Within a few months, Yolo spiked with synthetic marijuana — commonly known as K2 or spice — began appearing on store shelves around Salt Lake City.

Synthetic cannabis is man-made and can be manufactured for a fraction of the price of CBD, which is typically extracted from industrial hemp that must be farmed.

Samples tested at Utah labs showed Yolo contained a synthetic marijuana blamed for at least 11 deaths in Europe — and no CBD at all.

Authorities believed that some people sought out Yolo because they wanted to get high, while others unwittingly ingested a dangerous drug. What authorities didn’t understand was its source.

Investigators with Utah’s State Bureau of Investigation visited vape stores that sold Yolo, but nobody would talk. The packaging provided no contact information.

By May 2018, the case was cold. But it was not dead.

That summer, a former Mathco bookkeeper who was preparing to file a workplace retaliation complaint began collecting evidence of what she viewed as bad business practices.

During her research, Tatianna Gustafson saw online pictures showing that Yolo was the main culprit in the Utah poisonings, according to the complaint she filed against Mathco with California’s Department of Industrial Relations.

Gustafson wrote that while at Mathco she was concerned about how Yolo was produced, that it was excluded from Mathco’s promotional material and that the “labels had no ingredients or contact listing.”

Justin Davis, another former Mathco employee, told AP that “the profit margins were larger” for Yolo than other products.

Gustafson’s complaint asserted that Mathco or JK Wholesale, another of the companies that Thompson and her partner incorporated, mixed and distributed Yolo. Financial records in the complaint show Thompson’s initials as the main salesperson for Yolo transactions, including with a company in Utah. The records also show Yolo was sold in at least six other states, including to an address in South Carolina where a college student said he vaped a cartridge that sent him into a coma.

The former bookkeeper also tipped the Utah Poison Control Center about who she believed was behind Yolo, according to her complaint.

Barbara Crouch, the poison center’s executive director, recalled getting a tip in late 2018 and passing it along to the State Bureau of Investigation. SBI agent Christopher Elsholz talked to the tipster, who told him she believed the company she had worked for distributed Yolo. Elsholz said the company was in California and therefore out of his jurisdiction, so he passed the tip to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.

The DEA offered to help but took no law enforcement action, spokeswoman Mary Brandenberger said. Spiked CBD is a low priority for an agency dealing with bigger problems such as the opioid epidemic, which has killed tens of thousands of people.

In the end, it wasn’t the synthetic marijuana compound in Yolo from Utah that caught up with Thompson. It was another kind of synthetic added to different brands.

SO - The question is . . . What "Stories" and news reports are you seeing in the area where you live? Are they another front page story as the original government warning about Vaping, E Cigarette Use, Vape Lung & Deaths ? Or are they hidden away ? Does anyone write the editor of the News Paper - to inform them about their use of e-Cigarettes and vaping .. .Or - mentioned that they should do more research about the causes and effects about Vaping - and then publish these finding without relying on just supposed Public Health anti-smoking - vaping zealots information ? OR - Possibly Contacting CASSA for more information ? Just Wondering . . . What Would or do "You" Do when you see/hear these articles/stories . . . Or - Do "You" feel it is a lost cause and nothing Ya' say or do will change the inevitable coming Bans / Regulations . . . :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Astron

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Do "You" feel it is a lost cause and nothing Ya' say or do will change the inevitable coming Bans / Regulations . .
Unfortunately, I do.

I also get the sense that this is this is all a concerted propaganda effort intended to ensure that the general public accepts the bans and regulations.

NGAHaze

Infinity Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Georgia
Sadly I agree with Rossum. In the past couple of days I saw two segments on the local Atlanta news channels about this situation and not once did they mention THC or tainted products. They simply called everything 'vaping related'. I don't believe for one minute they are that misinformed.

My TV almost suffered the wrath of my frustration. :-x

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Slowly, news groups and social media are presenting the truth about vaping as a harm reduction strategy against smoking, and emphasizing that the lung illness crisis has nothing to do with nicotine vaping but is caused from vaping black market THC. Vaping advocates (including myself) have been plastering social media with positive vaping articles. The Vapor Technology Association will be running new ads on Fox News because they know President Trump watches that channel.

Vaping trade group will run ads on Fox News

Judge Napolitano: Trump administration's war on vaping is ‘affront to personal freedom and responsibility'

Vaping bans are supposed to help. But could they become a 'public health disaster'?

Why this addiction expert says e-cigarettes are 'holy grail' for public health

Local View: Vaping getting an unfair bad rap

New study: Not one vaping illness linked to legal e-cigarette pods

Regulate, but don't ban, flavored e-cigarettes

Trump takes heat from right over vaping crackdown

'Adults like flavors' too, vaping merchant argues

In a lab test of 15 illegal weed vape carts, 13 contained a dangerous additive — and all 15 were contaminated with cyanide

The Vaping Overreaction

https://nypost.com/2019/09/16/polit...A6Zwabb7mWCWr9um3KxMfbZl_zSnWRO5rNQzQh7drVUQs

The creator of the nicotine patch says that 'anti-vaping forces' are trying to kill the life-saving e-cig industry

Vapers Accuse Officials Of Overreach As Investigation Into Deadly Lung Illness Lags

Vaping companies hit back with ‘Facts Not Fiction’ press campaign

The Corruption of Public Health

CDC director quits following report she bought tobacco shares

The Surgeon General Owns Stock in Tobacco Companies – AltGov 2

The Food and Drug Administration Covers Up Evidence of Fraud, Fabrication, and Scientific Misconduct

Gregory Conley on E-Cigarettes and Public Health Concerns | C-SPAN.org

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Here, like I'm sure in most places, do an annual "hand in your old prescription drugs" day. Well for my area it is now and I just seen the news cast stating the day and times, but now they have added vapes . Can you believe this? They are advertising you to hand in your old drugs and all your dangerous vapes because they say they are killing people... what a joke

Ceejay0875

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2016
Here, like I'm sure in most places, do an annual "hand in your old prescription drugs" day. Well for my area it is now and I just seen the news cast stating the day and times, but now they have added vapes . Can you believe this? They are advertising you to hand in your old drugs and all your dangerous vapes because they say they are killing people... what a joke
I was just going to post this. I heard it on the radio in the car running errands this afternoon. What's next, (mandatory) STRONGLY ENCOURAGED vape gear buybacks?

Bring us all your juices and vape gear, we'll send you home with a fresh carton of smokes and a cheap gas station lighter...smh.

Georgia Boy

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2019
Atlanta Georgia
They are all still peddling the same crap even though the FDA and CDC have stated that THC Black Market products are the cause. Just more of the same BS, someone always wants Prohibition back on something, next it'll be your Flavored Alcohol, your Car, then it'll be the Microwave and so it goes on. They are never going to be happy until we rely on the State for everything..............wait hasn't that been tried before it called Communism!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread