Quit zits or cystic acne?

Status
Not open for further replies.

APA1

Apr 12, 2018
I’m getting a little worried. I was aware of quit zits being a possible side effect of switching from cigs to vaping. But I’ve noticed that the acne is unlike any acne I’ve ever had before. It’s all along my jaw line. Deep, thick, large acne. It takes weeks to go away and then more of the same replaces it. Doing some research I believe it could be cystic acne.

I’ve read about a possible pg allergy. Switching to 100 vg. I’ve read people say that it is just quit zits and give it more time. I’ve read that I should try drinking more water.

Then I came across all these discussions of people experiencing the same kind of acne. They were prescribed medicine by their dermatologist. They went to 100% vg. Nothing really helped them. The only thing that helped the cystic acne was to quit vaping completely.

I’m really worried. If I have to quit vaping to clear up my face I might have to go back to cigs. I have no interest in going back. The smell of cigs is disgusting to me right now.
Getting nicotine through the gum, patch and lozenges will not work for me. I’ve tried them in the past.

I’ve been doing so well. Vaping saved me. It’s the only thing that has made me not even think of a cig.

Someone please tell me I’m crazy.
Someone please tell me they have had a similar experience and the acne has gone away.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Ionori

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2017
    Try vaping unflavored VG if you have an atomizer capable of dealing with it (RDA would be ideal), or VG mixed with some distilled water to make it less viscous. If you have a significant physical dependency on nicotine, try supplementing the vaping with other nicotine delivery products during the trial period, or even with analogs if you must (a couple more weeks probably won't kill you). If your acne clears up while doing this, try adding whatever ingredient you miss the most (flavorings, nicotine, PG) and see what happens.

• Useful

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    The scarring from cystic acne can be rather severe. There are many internet forum doctors on here who can give you a lot of advice; they won't have to live with the scarring if you take their advice and they are wrong.
    See a dermatologist.

Last edited:

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    I’m getting a little worried. I was aware of quit zits being a possible side effect of switching from cigs to vaping. But I’ve noticed that the acne is unlike any acne I’ve ever had before. It’s all along my jaw line. Deep, thick, large acne. It takes weeks to go away and then more of the same replaces it. Doing some research I believe it could be cystic acne.

I’ve read about a possible pg allergy. Switching to 100 vg. I’ve read people say that it is just quit zits and give it more time. I’ve read that I should try drinking more water.

Then I came across all these discussions of people experiencing the same kind of acne. They were prescribed medicine by their dermatologist. They went to 100% vg. Nothing really helped them. The only thing that helped the cystic acne was to quit vaping completely.

I’m really worried. If I have to quit vaping to clear up my face I might have to go back to cigs. I have no interest in going back. The smell of cigs is disgusting to me right now.
    Getting nicotine through the gum, patch and lozenges will not work for me. I’ve tried them in the past.

I’ve been doing so well. Vaping saved me. It’s the only thing that has made me not even think of a cig.

Someone please tell me I’m crazy.
    Someone please tell me they have had a similar experience and the acne has gone away.
    Welcome to ecf.

If switching to all vg is giving you a heavy chest feeling(which is quite scary) then consider thinning the vg with distilled water(dw). Up to 10% if you need that much.

There is also a product called PEG400 which many members use as an alternative to pg. Currently if you are purchasing store bought ready to vape ejuice then I am unaware of any vendors whom sell that type of a product so you may need to consider making your own ejuice.

As a previous vaper suggested -- try vaping unflavored ejuice. This could help you to narrow down exactly what your body is reacting to.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

:)

Ionori

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2017
    Another factor you may want to eliminate is a nickel allergy or a reaction to other trace metals from the coil, try using kanthal coils on a rebuildable atomizer, and make them spaced so you don't need to dry burn (may want to go with plain roundwire cleaned with alcohol to make sure you aren't getting any machine oil or other crap from within the coil, or an exotic coil you build yourself from such wire).

• Agree

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    Personally, I never had, nor have known anyone else who ever got, "quit zits". But, if I was getting severe acne since starting to vape, and I'd never had it that bad before, nor localized to one area...I'd go see a dermatologist ASAP. It may or may not have something to do with vaping at all. As you put off going to have it checked, trying suggestions gotten here and elsewhere online, it can get worse while doing that! Is potential permanent scarring worth waiting?

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
    Mar 31, 2015
    new york
    We all know that vape clouds have to end up somewhere. If somebody always blows their vape cloud at a window for example, then the window will eventually have to be cleaned because vape residue will deposit itself there.

What if the vape clouds that somebody blows often ends up on their face and is possibly clogging the pores of the skin, and some people are more sensitive to this than others?

If somebody were constantly vaping in a poorly ventilated room with no air circulation, and the air was thick, then would that have some effect on certain people's skin over time? Possibly.

I don't know, I'm just throwing a wild theory out there.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Quit zits can be real, what you are describing is concerning. I would see a dermatologist.

I've dealt with adult acne all my life, and it's not due to vaping. I did notice a few flares as I switched, but not much else.

I am highly doubtful that your cystic acne cannot be dealt with by a dermatologist. Besides which, you'd want to start that process as soon as possible. There are certainly treatments for severe cystic acne, it's just that some of them are pretty severe.

If your skin is reacting to an ingredient in vaping, you may or may not be able to remove or isolate the offending ingredient. You won't know what that is without some experimentation, and you've been given some good advice. I would, however, see a dermatologist as soon as you can, not try all the experiments and THEN see a doctor. You want to get treatment, and I'd probably ask for advice from the dermatologist regarding vaping.

As far as I know, VG is in many skin products. I'd probably try all VG (with some distilled water to thin it). But I am not a dermatologist, so please take my thoughts as that only, and see a dermatologist.

I am doubtful that you won't be able to get this situation solved one way or another, without having to resort to returning to smoking. But, you won't really have much chance of improvement, if it is vaping the cause, without getting treatment for what is already going on with your skin, and without doing some trial and error.

The derm would be helpful in telling you HOW LONG to try a given vape experiment, and how quickly or slowly she would expect the acne to disappear. I have no idea if you need to try one "vape step" for a week, a month, etc.

I hope you are able to resolve it soon :)

Anna

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 13, 2013
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
    The scarring from cystic acne can be rather severe. There are many internet forum doctors on here who can give you a lot of advice; they won't have to live with the scarring if you take their advice and they are wrong.
    See a dermatologist.
    Al Gore invented the internet just so ultracrepidarians could feel important.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    Are you sure it's not for people who don't provide any useful information to feel superior?

I think it is for people who know little to nothing to give opinions with no basis in fact about which they know nothing. Go look at the definition of the word "ultracrepidarian" used by Coastal Cowboy. It fits you and several others on here to a tee.

Now, I am not a doctor but...I am going to give you advice anyway, harmful perhaps, but it makes me feel good.

Ionori

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2017
    I think it is for people who know little to nothing to give opinions with no basis in fact about which they know nothing. Go look at the definition of the word "ultracrepidarian" used by Coastal Cowboy. It fits you and several others on here to a tee.

Now, I am not a doctor but...I am going to give you advice anyway, harmful perhaps, but it makes me feel good.
    You're right, there's no basis in fact for PG allergies, nickel allergies, trace metals in the vapor produced with certain coil materials, dry burning coils leading to increased levels of potentially harmful particles, potential bad reactions to inhaling certain flavorings, machine oil leftovers in prebuilt exotic coils, etc.

• Optimistic

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 13, 2013
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
    You're right, there's no basis in fact for PG allergies, nickel allergies, trace metals in the vapor produced with certain coil materials, dry burning coils leading to increased levels of potentially harmful particles, potential bad reactions to inhaling certain flavorings, machine oil leftovers in prebuilt exotic coils, etc.
    Vaping is a choice that is not without risk.

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 13, 2013
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
    Obviously, which is why it's not smart to condescend to people who educate others about the associated risks and how to mitigate them after being asked to do so.
    When it comes to offering tips on avoiding acne breakouts, I do a really good job of helping people set up temperature control to avoid dry hits.

Ionori

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2017
    When it comes to offering tips on avoiding acne breakouts, I do a really good job of helping people set up temperature control to avoid dry hits.
    Well, you didn't do it here. In any case, this mini drama is played out and my detractors have been well and truly dunked on, so I'll leave it here.

• Optimistic
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread