Quick easy fix for Prodigy V2 switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dkrom68

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2009
Backwoods NY USA
After countless months of spotty results and following all tips and tricks on the forum for fixing these switches I have come up with the conclusion it is a design flaw and the upgrade kit fix was no better then the original. I have come up with a fix that makes it work flawlessly.
Take the switch out and sand some of the actual button down where the oring and contact resitor ring goes so that it can have some movement and actually wobbles a touch on there, not the whole post just a small spot where the ring sits. This allows it to move a bit and actually make contact with the 2 posts that the ring hits. The problem is that it is on there so tight not allowing any side to side movement that with a little tolerance level off on the machining where the contact posts are doesnt allow to movement needed to always get the contact on the 2 posts. By giving it the extra movement it makes perfect contact every time and is so much easier to press and use with perfect performance everytime.
I hope this helps all out that have been having problems and I hope it also helps Puresmoker in this issue as well.

Last edited:

harpo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2009
Yuba City, California
After countless months of spotty results and following all tips and tricks on the forum for fixing these switches I have come up with the conclusion it is a design flaw and the upgrade kit fix was no better then the original. I have come up with a fix that makes it work flawlessly.
Take the switch out and sand some of the actual button down where the oring and contact resitor ring goes so that it can have some movement and actually wobbles a touch on there. This allows it to move a bit and actually make contact with the 2 posts that the ring hits. The problem is that it is on there so tight not allowing any side to side movement that with a little tolerance level off on the machining where the contact posts are doesnt allow to movement needed to always get the contact on the 2 posts. By giving it the extra movement it makes perfect contact every time and is so much easier to press and use with perfect performance everytime.
I hope this helps all out that have been having problems and I hope it also helps Puresmoker in this issue as well.

Are you talking about the part of the button where the o-ring and contact disc slide over or the part they .... up against?

harpo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2009
Yuba City, California
The part they slide over Harpo as the other part keeps the switch from going down further then it needs to. I also use Noalox on everything which prevents corrosion and allows better contact current flow

Aren't you worried about the contact disk staying on the two contact post. With free movement on the button the possibility of this happening increases.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
The part they slide over Harpo as the other part keeps the switch from going down further then it needs to. I also use Noalox on everything which prevents corrosion and allows better contact current flow

Ox-guard (same thing as Noalox) helped mine a lot. I put it on all the electronic contacts and the disc. Works much better now.

mark40511

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Lexington KY
I have to say. I replaced my contact posts as well and it's as bad if not worse than the original ones. I don't know how many times I've take the switch apart, examined, extended the spring, checked for plastic etc. At times I can literally push the button as hard as I can with both thumbs and it won't fire. Other times it fires normally. Sigh

Overlord

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2009
Stony Plain, AB
I have to say. I replaced my contact posts as well and it's as bad if not worse than the original ones. I don't know how many times I've take the switch apart, examined, extended the spring, checked for plastic etc. At times I can literally push the button as hard as I can with both thumbs and it won't fire. Other times it fires normally. Sigh

Im in the same boat. Regardless of what I do, my switch just won't perform well. I get about 4 misfires out of 10 hits.

I've done all troubleshooting, cleaning, tweaking, etc and my thumb is still sore.

I'm keeping my faith in the new switches that are hopefully coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread