Questions on LR atty's

Status
Not open for further replies.

intriqken

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Orange County, CA
This is a question in response to comments I've read in other forums regarding LR atty's,

1- What is considered an LR atty? I have one @ 2.6 ohm but others tell me that is a standard atty, My standard attys however are 3.0 to 3.2 (at least that is what came in my kits)

2- Can you use an LR atty with a standard 808 or 510 battery? Will it harm either the battery or the atty or will it only make the battery require a charge much sooner than with a regular atty?

3- Someone said you can't use a cart with an LR atty,,,,why?

Thanks in advance for your help

Ken

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Your 2.6 ohm atty is pretty standard resistance. LR is generally 1.5 - 1.8. 3 ohms is still regular, but on the high side of regular.

An LR atty will, because of increased wattage, drain your battery faster than a regular atty. For the battery to remain healthy and be able to recharge, or last as long as new between charges (of course this will always be decreasing if you are using the battery at all), it is important to not put a large "load" on the battery. It can cause regions in the battery material itself to be unable to recharge for chemical reasons. Large batteries, like the eGo or a big-batt mod, are better able to handle this. Regular 510, mega 510, 808, 901 or 801, or a similar standard kit batt, will work with an LR atty, but you will use up all the juice really fast, and the battery may become damaged.

An LR atty on some given voltage, V, will produce watts = volts*volts/ohms. A regular 510 atty of 2.5 ohms on a 3.1V regular batt (they are a working 3.1V, NOT 3.7V...they are regulated) will produce about 3.8 watts. Same batt with a 1.5 ohm atty will produce about 6.4 watts, almost twice as much. The higher the wattage, the hotter it gets, and if its hot enough it will melt the cart. Most people use a drip-tip and drip with LR attys, for this reason. I use Delrin drip tips, which are of heat resistant rubber/plastic material. I typically vape at 10 watts, and without issues. Of course the drip tip does not reach as close to the coil as a normal cart, so that is also a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread