Questions about watts/volts/resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirito

Jul 24, 2014
HI, USA
Hi guys!

I hope it's okay if I make a new thread about this. ^^; Anyway, I just bought the iTaste vv v3.0 today, and I'm just waiting for it in the mail. (I talked the whole ecig thing over with my close friends, and I've decided to just give it a go and see if it helps me. Not taking it too seriously until I try it out for a while and see if I'm okay.)

I've been watching video reviews on it, and I just wanted a general explanation on watts and the like, since the variable voltage is a big part of the iTaste. I was looking at charts showing different wattages, and certain ranges are defined as "optimal", which is subjective, of course. I just wanted a simplified explanation on these variables, and if they are affected based on what atomizer you use. I intend to use the iClear 16s that come with the iTaste kit, as well as Volcano juice, most likely, since I do have a Volcano supplier at my local mall. I don't want any crazy vapor, just something light because I'm new to this.

My main question, I suppose, is, what's the difference between watts and volts? And what does resistance do in the overall experience?

Again, I'm sorry for such dumb questions, but I just want to be prepared before I actually try out the vape when I receive it. I've heard some scary stories about ecigs blowing up because of "inappropriate" settings on the battery, and I just want to be as safe and informed as possible.

*Edit: Some additional questions not related to watts/etc.:
- How long do you steep your juice? From what I read, it is an important step, and I want to do it right.
- How do you know when to replace an atomizer?
- *REALLY DUMB QUESTION* Does non-nicotine juice burn?

Thank you for any help!

Last edited:

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Ok Volts = electronic pressure just like with water Lb's per sq inch. Amps is the flow as in gallons per hour with water. Resitance is just that anything that pinches off the current flow. Watts are a factor of volts, amps and resistance.

Ohms law explained simply.jpg
Here is a useful site. Ohm's law | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators
Watts is power

asvaldr

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2014
indonesia
Read this thread thoroughly and you'll get your answer about watts and additional important knowledge about safety http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465483

For the steeping it differs from juice to juice.

For the non nic liquids the answer is yes, anything that's in liquid form basically can vaporize.

For the atty you'll noticed that the flavour and vapor production diminishes even at fully charged battery and then it's time to rewick or change the coil head.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
all juice burns.... especially if you get it in your eye ;)
steeping is the wrong word... unless you have some type of solid in your juice, aging is the proper term and in most cases no its not important
replacing the atomizer (coil)... when you notice a drop off in flavor or a burnt taste or a reduction in vapor density

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Welcome kirito :)

The VV3 is a great little device. You'll be able to play with settings until you dial in on what you like for yourself. Just because one setting works for me, doesn't mean it's the right one for you.

That being said, decent rule of thumb to follow is take the resistance of your coil and add 2 to set volts (1.8Ω coil + 2 = 3.8V, 2.1Ω + 2 = 4.1V, etc.)

Setting the watts is basically the same philosophy (I've read over and over that it's like a manual transmission - setting volts - compared to an automatic transmission - setting watts.) If you find a "middle-of-the-road" watts setting, you really don't have to play much when you change the resistance of the coil. I run my VV3 between 7.5-9.0W, but may play with it depending on the exact Ω of the coil or the type of juice.

Your best resistance range on the VV3 is (IMO) 1.5-2.2Ω I'm building my own coils now, and I like to be about 1.7-1.9Ω on about everything I run.

Don't drag on your vape like you might have a cigarette - take gentle draws, especially at first, or you'll hack and cough immediately!

Good luck, and don't hesitate to come back if you have more questions :)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Ohm's Law for Dummies 340304d1401291834t-14-ohms-law-dummies-ohmslaw.gif

Using the iTaste VV3, you will be either in "voltage mode" or "wattage mode". Which ever mode you last make a setting in, the iTaste will remain in that mode. The "P" stands for wattage mode; the "U" stands for voltage mode. If this becomes confusing, do a search on YouTube for a demo of the iTaste VV3.

Voltage and wattage work interchangeably and they both do the same thing, they just use a different method to get to the same place.

Last edited:

joesquid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Chesapeake, Va
Welcome to ECF! Good luck on quitting the smokes. You have the same attitude I had when I quit. Also starting with the same mod. For me, my last puff on a cigarette was on the way into the B&M to buy it. It might not be that easy for you but keep at it and I think you'll be amazed. If you have problems, come on here and ask for help.

You have a good answer on volts/amps/ohms but with the vv V3 you really don't have to worry about that too much. There is protection circuitry built in so all you have to worry about is burning your juice and getting a terrible taste. Just start with the lowest wattage setting and work up until you get the best flavor.

As far as steeping....when you get your juice, taste it. If it's good, vape on. If not you can give it some time.

The MOST important thing to remember with your vv V3 is to only tighten your tank until you feel the slightest resistance. Over tightening will destroy the 510/ego connector making the mod useless. Also make sure you keep the box. If you have to return it, Innokin will want the authentication number on it.

kirito

Jul 24, 2014
HI, USA
Thank you all for such helpful tips! I just visited a local vape shop tonight and bought some white gummy bear 0 nicotine juice, and if all goes well with the postal service, I should be getting my iTaste on Monday! :D I'll try out what DingerCPA mentioned and add 2 to the resistance. If anything, I'll talk to some employees when I go back to the vape shop if I need anything else. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread